Friday, January 18, 2013

Knitting Shelter

Help me to comfort others with these hands, and lead my heart towards grace.                                                         ~Michael Brandon

I've been struggling with problematic eye issues this week. For someone who spends many hours a day writing and reading, it became difficult to occupy myself. I finally pulled out some yarn and knitting needles.  

My Grandma Cessna taught me to crochet when I was a little girl. Just recently I've tried to master knitting. I've had a lot of practice this week. I started a prayer shawl for a woman from our church.  

It was Janet Bristow and Victoria Galo who gave birth to the Prayer Shawl ministry in 1998. Their website states, "They combined compassion and the love of knitting/crocheting into a prayerful ministry and spiritual practice which reaches out to those in need of comfort and solace, as well as in celebration and joy. Many blessings are prayed into every stitch." 

It's such a joy to pray for the one who will receive my shawl.  This is the second one I've made. My experience in praying each time I pick up my knitting has been a huge blessing. I loved the recipient before, but through praying for her, I feel exceedingly more tender towards her.  

If you crochet or knit, I would encourage you to ask God if this is something you could do that would please Him. One thing I've learned is that God has His own plans for each of us. This week, God had me knitting. What did God have you doing?

Try to give your agenda to God. Keep saying, 'Your will be done, not mine.' Give every part of your heart and your time to God and let God tell you what to do. ~Henri Nowen

* * * * *

The Prayer Shawl Ministry site has simple patterns. Here are a few other free patterns.  

Lion Yarns: Links to patterns, printable cards, messages, etc.
Red Heart Yarn: Crochet pattern
Red Hear Yarn: Knit pattern

18 comments:

joy said...

A beautiful thought . An inspiration. Mine is to pray for my bloggers friend:)
Have a nice week end Pamela:)

Denise said...

Lovely.

Beth said...

Lovely pist!

Anonymous said...

The Lord had me knitting a little hat for my grandson and enjoying His warm sunshine after many days of clouds. :-) The Prayer Shawl is a wonderful ministry.
Blessings,
Anne♥

Barbara F. said...

I like the quote at the end, I think I do this, but I also think I cling to a little bit of what I want, too. I have to learn to release it all! Thanks for stopping by. xo

Unknown said...

What a wonderful ministry! This week I crocheted a blanket for a dear friend. I just finished it minutes ago :)

Unknown said...

Hi Pamela
I also love knitting, but due to a chronic illness that causes much pain, I don't knit as much as before, because knitting worsens the pain! What a wonderful way to spread Hs love and care!
XX
Mia

Renee said...

What a lovely gift this prayer shawl ministry is. I have a wool prayer shawl that was given to me a few years ago. Praying for your eyes......
Renee from Adventures in Faithful Living...

Denise said...

What a wonderful ministry, and a blessing to whoever receives it! A blessing to you too during this time when you are experiencing problems with your eyesight. A wonderful gift my friend; praying for healing and a quick recovery!

Hugs and joyful blessings,
Denise

Laurie Collett said...

How lovely, Pamela! You are a modern day Dorcas. Sending prayers your way for your eyesight.

A lady in my Bible study class gave me a Christmas present of a purple shawl that she had a friend knit for me, as she said she could imagine me wearing it while sitting on my back porch and reading my Bible. Such a thoughtful and endearing gift!
God bless,
Laurie

David C Brown said...

I can manage the praying part!

Unknown said...

Your blog is such a blessing!

jdmsmith said...

This post is fantastic. I love crocheting! My mom taught me when I was little. I have never heard of a prayer shawl. I will look in to this and see if this is something God is leading me to do! Also, I will keep you in my prayers for your eyes.

Mary Reed said...

Oh, I love the idea of the prayer shawl... What a beautiful ministry. The very thought of draping something over my shoulders that has been bathed in prayer, stitch by stitch, would be such a precious gift. This week I finished a quilt for my new granddaughter!:)
Pamela, I'll be praying for your vision/eyes.
Blessings to you ~ Mary

Unknown said...

I so tried my hand at knitting. It did not go well. However, I think the ministry is awesome and it is amazing to have a shawl.

Courtney said...

What a great ministry. I've often thought that I'd like to take up knitting one day - seems like a soothing activity and one that can most definitely benefit others.

Jen said...

Love these prayer shawls & how you can cover many with, not just warmth....but prayer, through them! With our foster children, many women have made blankets to send home with our babies. Some we still have. I like to think that these babies were covered through prayers such as yours as they fought off drugs, or fought for life.

Thanks again for linking with UNITE today! You are a blessing!
Jen

Esther Asbury said...

I love handcrafting things for gifts -- extra special when you pray for the one you're giving it too!