Saturday, April 27, 2013

Where Fears Leave


How sweet the name of Jesus sounds in a believer's ear;
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds, and drives away his fear.
                                                                                     ~John Newton


My son-in-law is turkey hunting this week-end.  Melanie lives in a home tucked back in the woods -- quarter of a mile off the road.  She has a 200-pound English Mastiff (outside) for protection, but she grabbed her sister to stay with her, too.  

Although Emily is nine years younger than Melanie, this isn't the first time she's "protected" her.  When Emily was six, I asked Melanie to run downstairs for something I needed.  She was reluctant to go because it was dark.  Emily told her, "That's okay, Sissy, I'll go wiff you."  

Oh, you know God had a lesson to teach me with that memory. There are so many "fears" I have. Fear of something happening to my children or grandchildren. Fear of losing my love, RB. Fear of something happening to my parents. I hide the fears well, but God who knows all sees them stuffed in my heart.

I don't need to fear.  When our Sarah died and I faced the grieving process, God was right there saying, "It's okay, Daughter, I'll go with you."  And He did.  So many say they couldn't go through losing a child.  I would have said the same thing.  But the unimaginable happens 
and we don't have a choice.  

God steps up beside us, and before we can put our hand in His, He threads his fingers through ours.  Then He hands us a basket of His promises:

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit (Psalm 34:18).  

But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior (Isaiah 43:1-3).


He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away (Revelation 21:4).

Why do I let those fears back in my heart when I know God is the same yesterday, today and forever? When I know that the God who was with me in sorrow over two decades ago is just as close today? When I can still hear Him whisper, "I'll go with you."?  



I dug those fears out of the corners of my heart. Once again I put them in God's cupped hands, releasing them as if I was playing a game of hot potato. Sunlight fills my heart's corners where darkness once lived. Through the rain of those tears of fear, the sunshine forms a perfect rainbow of promise.

"I'll go with you, Daughter."





Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9)

14 comments:

Terra said...

I needed to read this today so thank you for writing it. The Scriptures are favorites of mine and it is good to read them again.

Beth said...

Your posts are always beautiful and this one is outstanding.

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing.

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

This is a beautiful and inspiring post. I know a young woman who lost her 4 month old baby last year. It was tragic...the babysitter was the young woman's MOTHER and rolled over onto the baby while napping with her on the couch.

She is active on FB and we ( FB friends ) have gone through the grieving process with her but just today she posted something and I might use one of your verses or even send her here.

This post can speak to anyone, no matter the circumstance. It just helped ME with something : )

Esther Asbury said...

Pam, you have no idea how much I NEEDED this post TODAY!!! Thank you so much for your timely words -- and for the gentle reminder to put it in God's hands!

Janet said...

Thanks Pam.. I needed these words.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Oh dear, we are all so human and very naturally have fears... Your scripture Joshua 1:9 is a good one.. God is ever watchful. I pray the peace of the loving savior be with Melanie and Emily as they love on each other. x

Denise said...

This is lovely Pamela; I love your pictures! :) I know I certainly get caught up into my own thoughts and fears and let anxiety wrap me up in myself. But when I am faithful and turn my worries into heartfelt prayer, I begin to experience peace knowing that God is truly in control!

Blessings for a Sunday full of joy and peace,
Denise

Brenda said...

It is truly amazing isn't it the comfort that is in the scriptures that have the ability to bring a peace that nothing else can bring. God bless you for sharing your thoughts.

Anna said...

i am hoping in the future to lose the fear of losing someone again in my family.. esp. one of my children.. ive lost one and losing one more will just kill me. thank u for this post.. im hoping in the future that i'll be as strong as u r.❤❤❤

Sharon said...

This was beautiful, Pamela. I was especially touched by this:

"God steps up beside us, and before we can put our hand in His, He threads his fingers through ours."

Such lovely imagery - and such encouraging truth!

As a certified fraidy-cat, this post spoke to me deeply. Thank you for your honesty, and for the wonderful way that you speak HIS words.

GOD BLESS!

Mary Reed said...

Thank you Pamela. Today I allowed some fears to cast a long shadow. These verses were exactly the truths that I needed to hear. God is so faithful to meet our every need. I appreciate you!
Blessings and love ~ Mary

Simply Beth said...

So much comfort found in your words and the scripture you have shared. Beautiful! "Sunlight fills my heart's corners where darkness once lived. Through the rain of those tears of fear, the sunshine forms a perfect rainbow of promise."
Your words have blessed.
Thank you.
Beth

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

Thanks for sharing this. It has deeply minsitered to me.