Saturday, May 25, 2013

In Celebration

I love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.  Robert Munsch


She sang outside my study window. I wondered what made her so happy. Then one day when I was outside, I saw her fly out of a decorative pot of foliage. Peeking in I discovered a nest containing four speckled eggs. And then I knew -- she was rejoicing over her children yet unborn.

I remember those days of joyful waiting.  Nine long years of wishing, hoping, then tears of disappointment.  Over and over.  Disappointed so many times that my friend, Janet, had to tell me she thought I was expecting. 

Throughout the last 
couple weeks we peeked in on those eggs often.  We celebrated when one bird hatched. And let me tell you, baby birds are not nearly as cute as I imagined. It took them a while to grow their feathers but oh, are they ever adorable! And our Momma sings her song of rejoicing -- this time over children born.

I, too, sing over my children born. I celebrate who they have grown to be. I look at them and see little girls with Shirley Temple curls, black patent  shoes, and happy smiles. I see Melanie reading her Bible with little sister beside her, reading hers upside down. I see report cards, baptisms and piano lessons.


All those have been rejoiced over. Today, I look at them and see girls earnestly seeking God's best.  I see Melanie's daily choice to put family and home first. I see her reaching out to others and teaching her children by example. I see the results of memorized Scripture and Debi Pearl's Created to Be His Helpmeet and To Train up a Child. I see other books underlined and prayed over as she seeks to be a missionary right in her home, guiding her children to heaven.

I see Emily's joyful spirit and servant heart. I see her creativity and diligence in every college project. I see her "putting first things first" as she waits to begin a life with the man she loves. I see how she accepts life's difficulties, using lemons for lemonade. I see how fiercely she protects and nurtures her friendships.


Isn't that what mothering is all about? Celebrating daily the children entrusted to you? As life changes, I continue to celebrate. My heart rejoices as I see them grow in grace.  Because I have no greater joy than to know my children are walking in the truth (3 John 1:4).

The bird and I are on opposite ends of the mothering spectrum. Yet if you paused at the door of our home, you would hear happy chirping on the outside and slightly-off-key singing on the inside. With the mother of our Savior, I'm keeping all these things to [my]self, holding them dear, deep within [my]self (Luke 2:19).



Linking to





21 comments:

Terra said...

This is a sweet post about the chirpy bird mom and you as the mom of two wonderful gals.

Sherri B. said...

What a beautiful, touching post..thank you for sharing with us these special thoughts.

I love that scripture, one that puts a lump in my throat every time. xo

Annesphamily said...

Pamela you write so beautifully. I am enjoying my new devotional and think of you each time I open its pages.
I hope you and yours have a blessed weekend. Melanie and Emily are absolutely gorgeous. You have been blessed!

J said...

A beautiful celebration in words of the blissful joy of motherhood!What a sweet little bird family that chose to adopt you!

Denise said...

Such a nice post.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

enjoyed this post and the sentiment behind...lovely!

Unknown said...

What a touching post and beautiful pictures. With each day I grow prouder of my daughter, the mother of my granddaughter.

jviola79 said...

What a sweet & beautiful post! Love the pictures too! It is a joy when our children grow up well! I visited from Spiritual Sundays :)
Blessings,
Joanne

Denise said...

I remember when a mama bird laid her eggs in one of our flower pots a couple of years ago; it was so breath taking to watch the mama lovingly check on them, and then to watch them hatch and mature. What a joyful day (and sad!) when they grew enough to fly away. :)

Your post is a lovely correlation and tribute to motherhood and your charming and beautiful daughters!

Have a blessed holiday weekend full of His amazing grace Pamela!
Denise

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

I LOVE that book by Munsch -- still have it! You're right -- it is a joy to watch your children grow and become adults. Our two youngest, twin daughters just graduated college and are in Alaska working for the summer. Beautiful post - thanks for sharing!

Sharon said...

Oh, such a sweet and touching post. My mother's heart is crying and singing along with you (will someone please pass the Kleenex?!)

Just this past weekend, I have realized yet again how very much I love my two sons. The joys they bring to my life are priceless. They are indeed one of God's most gracious gifts to me.

And I am also so proud of them.

Your daughters are so lovely, Pamela - on the inside and the outside. They take after their mother...

A beautiful and godly woman of faith.

GOD BLESS!

Aritha V. said...

Thank you for this beautiful, touching blog. You have beautiful daughters. Cherish them.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I am new to your blog and it is quite lovely.

Who designed your blog? They did such a beautiful job!

Esther Asbury said...

Pam,
Beautiful post and beautiful daughters! I love the verse you mention (3 John 1:4) --- that is my greatest desire as well. Already my mother heart beats proudly when my daughter follows Jesus with all her heart.

no spring chicken said...

Beautiful Pamela. My (every) mama heart is singing with you this morning. Thank you. :)

Blessings, Debbie

Courtney said...

What a wonderful reflection on motherhood! My husband loves birds and always says they are God's ambassadors. This really showed that. And wow, great photos, too!

Sarah said...

One of my fave books of all time ...

Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip into some momma goodness.

Also wanted to invite you, to share this post (or any other that you love) to encourage other moms. We could use your joy, your goofs, your creative, your photos, your celebration of anything mom. Our momma notes together become a little melody over here ...
http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/2013/05/sometimes-momma-misses.html

Splashin'
Sarah

Connie Nelson said...

Beautiful as usual! Look a the joy on all of your faces! Such a wonderful and blessed home you have. Thanks for linking with me :)

Esther Joy said...

Pamela, this is a beautifully written and illustrated post, and a tribute to motherhood!

Suanna said...

Thank you for this precious writing. I enjoyed the comparison of motherhoods. Thanks foe stopping by my blog, too.

Jacqueline said...

The photos of the bird are just beautiful! And I love the analogies on the mother bird.What sweet memories your writing brings to my mind :) Thank you for the encouragement today. Blessings!