Saturday, May 18, 2013

Why I Write


Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth



When I was young, I wanted to be an author -- a secret desire not many knew about. How could I be a writer when I struggled with spelling and tended toward passive voice? As a young adult I bought writing magazines and marked them up, dreaming -- yet not believing -- I'd publish one day.  


Photo by Kay's Kaptures 



One day I realized that nobody but me could make my dream come true. And that realization led to a folder full of rejection letters. But even that couldn't deter me. I'd just write something else. Because somewhere between "I want to be a writer," and "I am a writer," my focus changed from me to my reader. My goal of publication was still a personal desire, but not the end goal -- writing truth and sharing my Savior with the world.  Out of that my mission statement was birthed. 

Photo by Kay's Kaptures

I will strive to fulfill my life calling from Jesus Christ, the Author and Provider of my salvation. I will seek opportunities to convey the gospel of Christ through communication venues available to me. I intend to exemplify my personal love for and obedience to God and His Word. I will seek to provide resources for instruction and inspiration. I intend to maximize teaching responsibilities to selected audiences. My ultimate goal is to inspire positive change in family, colleagues and readers through verbal and nonverbal development of Christ-honoring media.

Morgan
Photo by Kay's Kaptures
Throughout this time of a partial blog break, I've been thinking about that mission statement. It's still the mission of my life, and I hold each piece I write to its words.  But I wondered the why of what I write. What purpose do the words that appear on my computer screen hold? Yesterday in the middle of research it came to me:  "I write because my heart compels me; I write so others can read and learn." 


Photo by Kay's Kaptures


Reading has always been a part of my life. From Astrid Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking to Jack London's White Fang, I fell in love with reading. From Charles Sheldon's In His Steps, my heart was open to the truth reading offers. From Florence Littauer's Silver Boxes, I found that reading can connect with my passion. From Henri Nowen's The Wounded Prophet I learned that one's pain can heal another's.  

Photo by Kay's Kaptures

Since my childhood yearnings of a writing career I have embraced spell check. I've learned all about passive voice and know that if it sneaks in my writing my husband will catch it. My mission statement continues to be the heart of my writing. But this week, I learned why I write...I write so others can read and learn.

What books impact your writing?





Linked to:








18 comments:

joy said...

I can so relate to you:) my dream too;

Sharon said...

And I love your writing, Pamela. I am always so blessed by what you have to say.

I have always loved reading, too. I was a huge fan of Nancy Drew mysteries. Read them all the time. And one of the most influential books I read was The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (and all the Chronicles of Narnia). For me, C.S. Lewis became my favorite author, and his Aslan made Jesus become even more real to me. Lewis still impacts my writing.

GOD BLESS!

Pom Pom said...

Harriet the Spy. The Wind in the Willows. First We Have Coffee. Keep writing!

Virginia said...

Keep writing and writing, you inspire me every time I read your blog!
May God shower you with sweet blessings...

Esther Joy said...

Yes, I, too, write because my heart compels me!

Denise said...

Keep on writing.

Brenda Porter said...

I love this post and I too can relate. May God continue to show you where your gift needs to go and keep being a light to those who need it :)

Unknown said...

Your writing is beautiful and it is obvious it brings you a lot of joy! Keep it up!

Susan Marlene said...

I so appreaciate your thoughts and yes, I do learn from you! I suppose for me it all began with Nancy Drew and later The Tale of Two Cities. Lately I have more "favorites" which have been such a blessing to me! You can see those on my blog!! ;0

RicKaren said...

Most of the books that impact me these days are children's stories. Smile. I love to read, but don't often have time beyond the Bible and a few devotionals now and then. I do make it a habit to read my kids literature books with them (we take turns reading out loud to the family)--It makes it more interesting to them and I find that even I learn new things from the rather simple work.

Jen said...

Oh friend, my heart intertwines with the truth of these words. I just wrote about my insecurities of writing too this week. :) Oh, that secret desire to write. Rejoicing that you are an inspiration to many! Also love how you wrote out your mission statement to refer back to and remember where God has called you! Keep writing my friend. Keep writing! Blessings abundant~ Jen

Granny-Guru said...

I love how you switched from thinking about your message to thinking about your readers. For my first two books, when I went to book signings, I expected readers to tell me how wonderful my books were. They didn't. They told me about the books they wanted to write. With that in mind, I now write my blog posts with the intent of helping Grandmas think about their own stories they want to tell their grandchildren. One of the best books I've read is Gandhi's autobiography, An Experiment with Truth.

Rebecca said...

First of all, thank you for the wonderful book. (I finally made it to the post office, and there it was. I know how I'll be spending the evening.)

My mission statement isn't nearly as developed as yours, but I know that I, too, write because my "heart" compels me....

And writers who have influenced me? So many I can't list them all, but Edith Schaeffer and Anne Morrow Lindbergh are two who come to mind. Definitely Nouwen, too....

I'm looking forward to your return to BlogLand :)

Rebecca said...

First of all, thank you for the book! I finally got to the post office and there it was! I know how I'll be spending this evening.

I enjoyed this post. My mission statement isn't quite so well developed as yours, but I definitely write because my "heart" compels me....

And writers who have inspired me are too many to mention. But those that come to my mind immediately include Edith Schaffer & Anne Morrow Lindberg

Sarah Coller said...

Love this, Pamela, thanks for sharing!

Connie Nelson said...

I am so glad you are a writer because I so enjoy your post! I have always wanted to write too but always felt I couldn't. I guess I am of sorts now because I blog. Thanks for linking up with me :)

Annesphamily said...

Oh, hard to say which books impact me the most. I love to write, always have and am going to search my garage for my box of poetry I wrote oh so long ago!
You bring joy to me with your writing so whatever you do please keep doing it. You have a heart for the Lord and He is using you wisely. Blessings, Anne

Esther Asbury said...

I'm so glad you followed God's call to write -- your posts have ministered to me more often than not.
BTW - love the pics of Morgan -- she's beautiful!