Sunday, June 30, 2013

Now That's a Big Man


A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.                                                                                ~John C. Maxwell

Emily and I were getting lunch on the table when Jonathan came in, urging us to look out the front windows.  We looked towards the east, beyond the one-acre lawn, beyond the corn field, and then saw it -- big sheets of rain, moving ever-so-slowly our direction. An awesome sight and one I've never seen before.  

It brought to mind Elijah's announcement of rain to King Ahab.  Three long years before, Elijah had told Ahab, king of Israel, a drought was coming as God's punishment for their idolatry. No rain, no dew, no moisture at all. Oh, how parched their ground was! The crops wouldn't grow. And through all this time the people blamed Elijah, while it was their own idolatry, their own love of themselves and sinful decisions that caused the famine.

How often have we seen this in our own lives and churches.  We make a scapegoat of one person, shout loudly their faults, what "they" have done and blame their own lack of vision, outreach or love on the very one God wants to use.

When I read the story again, I find it was Elijah that knelt in prayer petitioning God for rain. In spite of their sin, in spite of idolatrous worship and their hatred of Elijah, Elijah asked God to bless them.

Elijah sent his servant seven times to check the sky before he came back with the report of the cloud in the sky the size of a man's hand. Like the rain today moving toward us, the rains came fast.  Fast because a mighty man of God determined to return good for evil.

Now that's a big man.
Linked to: 




17 comments:

Annesphamily said...

A beautiful post! I often think of Elijah when we are without moisture here. We have had a long hot summer and very little precipitation! Faith is what is holding me together in these difficult times our country is facing. We seem to go from bad to worse each and every day. I just heard that milk is going to double in price. Twoof my children are still finishing college and their loans with go from3 percent to 6. Such a sad state of affairs. But we can smile knowing God is always with us and holding us in His loving hands. Thanks for posting this and have a beautiful week. Hugs Anne

Thistle Cove Farm said...

One of my favorite stories and you've told it beautifully. When I read about Elijah, I'm reminded of the Jeremiah 12:5 verse that says
"If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses? If you stumble in safe country, how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan?"

Beth said...

What a wonderful story, you said it well!

Michelle DeRusha said...

I love how you wove the ancient biblical story in with your own story - nicely told.

Anonymous said...

Returning good for evil is what the Gospel is all about, right?

a joyful noise said...

How the rain fell once it started. Gushers of rain. Let the refreshing rain of the Holy spirit fall on me.

sweetvintageofmine said...

Yes, this is a beautiful post. God is so merciful! Our country needs prayer like never before.....Rain down your holy spirit Lord! Blessings~~~Roxie

Deanna said...

Thank you for sharing this post.
For about a year now I have been more somber about what is going on in the courts and presidential election. I mustn't run from the reality of what is going on. Your post has encouraged me to pray specifically for my dear country. A raining down of God's Holy Spirit is a must.
d

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I like how you wrote this story. It speaks to me about the things I don't understand,why some awful things take so long to correct and to just hold on...and trust He's got the timing.

Lynda said...

Excellent post and illustration! I really like the Maxwell quote, too!

Sharon said...

I liked this post a lot.

Yes, God's definition of a mighty person often looks completely different from what the world defines as *strong*...

GOD BLESS!

Lisa notes... said...

Love being reminded of this story. One man praying to an awesome God can bring a giant shower! Thanks for sharing!

Denise said...

Wonderful post.

Unknown said...

Loved this post; beautifully written.

Wife, Then Mama said...

I have never really read the story of Elijah, except in a children's Bible story book, and they just talked about how God provided for Elijah by having birds bring him food. Now I think I will read the whole story! Thanks for sharing!

Connie Arnold said...

Several good lessons in your post. Thanks for sharing and blessings to you, Pamela!

Sarah Coller said...

Hi Pamela!

I just sent a message to your email. Please let me know if you got it!

Blessings,
Sarah