Saturday, July 6, 2013

Compassionate Sheltering


Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into the places of pain, to share in brokenness, fear, confusion, and anguish. Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely, to weep with those in tears. Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless. Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human. ~Henri Nouwen


The night was dark, the wind blowing the leaves inward. We were cozy inside, candles burning as we talked together. The low rumble of thunder and the sudden flash of jagged lightening tried to distract us, but we talked on.


It was in the stillness between lightening flashes that we heard a bark and opened the door. There in the inky darkness sat Thor, Jonathon's dog.  The pup that was tied to a tree. Except he wasn't. In his fright of the storm, he worked himself free and came to where he knew he could find shelter.


I was reminded of others who cross my path in the midst of their storms.  The atmosphere may be calm, but their thunder moaning comes from within, lightening pierces their heart, the joyful music turned funeral dirge of the rain, filling their soul.


I open my arms, caring not that I get wet in the process. I listen to their thunder moans. I feel the lightening pain pierce my own heart while slowing my soul's music to match the beat of their dirge.

It's not the words I speak -- those words which are meaningless to one caught in a storm.  Instead, I allow my hug to speak the words. I ask God to use my arms to shelter, to radiate His comfort.  To fulfill the Scripture, He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us  (2 Corinthians 1:4).



It is through our own storms that we can reach out to others. The thunder that pierced our own heart enables us to live an authentic life of shelter. Those sitting at the door of our heart house will know we understand their pain. 

Thor wasn't invited into my home, but Jonathon did find him shelter from the rain. The storm-of-the-heart may still swirl around my hurting friends, but I want to point them to the One who gives shelter. With the Psalmist, I whisper, The Lord is the one who keeps you safe. So let the Most High God be a home to you (Psalm 91:9). 



The cries for shelter come from around the world.  God has selected each of us to be His arms.  Whose storm is God calling you to embrace?








11 comments:

Lynda said...

Beautiful, beautiful post with an excellent illustration.

Judy said...

Hello Pamela,

We all need to be compassionate to those who are hurting. May we all be filled with the compassion of Christ when someone who is hurting crosses our path.

Blessings,
Judy

Susan Marlene said...

Hi Pamela! I love your posting. So real and relevant. We all have storms and those who allow their hearts to warm and embrace another in pain have allowed the Lord's grace and love to abound. I consider you a pillow person. A person who offers comfort to others! Blessings to you!!

Denise said...

We don’t need to look very far to find someone who deserves and appreciates kindness when we consider all the people that cross our paths each and every day. It only takes a small effort to give a little kindness, and the joy we send out never leaves us! :)

Joyful blessings Pamela!
Dense

Beth said...

A wonderful post Pamela. Thank you!

Ruth said...

It really isn't the words we speak, but the love we radiate from His heart reaching through our arms, through our touch. This became very real last week as I was with a team in Costa Rica. In spite of language barriers, we could share this love through hugs, smiles and eye contact. In the storm, it is enough to know someone is there committed to riding it out with us.
Thanks, Pamela.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela,

It has been wonderful catching up on here; sorry that it has been so long. I enjoyed all of your posts; each one is inspirational and makes me pause and think.

God bless and here are some hugs!

Kathy M.

Sharon said...

Oh, this was beautiful.

You know, the thing that came to my mind when I was reading this was my new journey of caring for my parents. I'm currently spending about a week a month with them. It's brought so much *storminess* to my life. But, when I was reading your post, I was stopped by the thought that all this time I've been focusing on MY storm - not realizing how "stormy" this season of life is for THEM.

God is asking me to enter THEIR storms - and He will take care of stilling my own.

GOD BLESS!

Mindy said...

Thanks for that reminder!

Denise said...

amazing post.

HeARTworks said...

Love and compassion. May we always have time for this. This is , after all, what will last. Blessings, patsy