Saturday, July 13, 2013

Is it Time to Recalculate?


When the Holy Spirit is in full control of our lives, He will expect our obedience to the written Word of God. But it is part of our human problem that we would like to be full of the Spirit and yet go on and do as we please!  ~
A.W. Tozer

The motel in Kansas City where we stay while RB takes classes is twenty minutes from the base of my new job. Taking advantage of the nearness during a recent week-long seminar, we scheduled a full day of meetings. Unfortunately I had to drive there -- alone. We have friends who live a block away from the publishing company, so RB showed me the way when we drove down to visit the night before the meeting day. We danced on and off the road so many times, exiting left then right, until I knew it wouldn't be an easy drive for me.  

Armed with Mapquest printouts and a GPS, I built in an extra twenty minutes to get to my meeting on time. Let me tell you, I gave that poor GPS a real workout. It just recalculated and recalculated and recalculated.  I imagined I caught a hint of exasperation in the woman's voice before I was halfway there.

I was thrilled when I arrived, but that thrill was gone six hours later when I realized I still had to get home. Between the publishing company and home was a detour, making my anxiety rise at each new "recalculating."  Oh, how wonderful to glimpse the "nearing destination" landmark bridge and how good to arrive at the hotel!  

God never wastes our experiences, does He? I was resting after my successful landing, my ears still ringing with, "recalculating," when I thought about the times in my life that the Holy Spirit had whispered, "Recalculating." Times when I said unkind words. Times when I was careless in modesty and lax in my devotional times. Times when attitudes weren't pleasing to God. Times I allowed outward circumstances to steal my joy.

I may have been frustrated with my GPS, but following it did get me right to where I needed to go. Following my spiritual GPS will get me to my Heavenly home. Jesus said, "When the Spirit of Truth comes, he will guide you into all truth." I want to live in truth. I want a heart sensitive to the slightest whisper of the Spirit, a willingness to change my path. 

In the 1700's Charles Wesley wrote this hymn: 

I want a principle within
Of jealous, godly fear,
A sensibility of sin,
A pain to feel it near.
I want the first approach to feel
Of pride or fond desire,
To catch the wand’ring of my will,
And quench the kindling fire.

From Thee that I no more may part,
No more Thy goodness grieve,
The filial awe, the fleshly heart,
The tender conscience, give.
Quick as the apple of an eye,
O God, my conscience make;
Awake my soul when sin is nigh,
And keep it still awake.

Almighty God of truth and love,
To me Thy pow’r impart;
The mountain from my soul remove,
The hardness from my heart.
Oh, may the least omission pain
My reawakened soul,
And drive me to that blood again,
Which makes the wounded whole.

(You can read an article on this hymn in God's Revivalist. Larry Smith is one of my favorite speakers and wordsmiths.)

The hymn is my prayer. Sometimes in the busyness of life I can race past the speed limits, curve warnings and workers ahead lights if I'm not careful enough to listen for the Holy Spirit's voice. But I'm reaching for a principle within, knowing He is always faithful if I will follow.

How about you? Have you heard the Spirit's "recalculating" lately? 

Linked to:



15 comments:

Denise said...

Nice post.

Sharon said...

Pamela, I find it so incredibly amazing how the Lord speaks to us. Do you know that my post for this coming Monday is titled "Heavenly GPS"?! And the Holy Spirit was speaking the same things to my heart!

Yes, I have also been *recalculating* lately. Thank goodness the Lord knows the way!

GOD BLESS!

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Its frightening trying to find your way in unknown territory. Glad you made it there and back...I bet it was a relief to arrive home knowing you succeeded with your trip. Charles Wesley had a tremendous faith didn't he? and it shone through in this hymn. What a wonderful family the Wesley's were. (I attend the Wesleyan Methodist church).

Unknown said...

Those GPS can be a big help, but I too get frustrated when they recalculate!
I guess it was because I made a wrong turn. The holy Spirit is like that - letting us know when we make a wrong turn and get back on the path.

Brenda said...

There is nothing better a Christian could do than be obedient to the written word of God enlightened to us by the Holy Spirit as we each pick up our daily manna on our journey to the promised land.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Yes, I have recently (not just the everyday nudging) but about whether or not to quit my new job.

Boy, you two have a lot of changes going on; living in a hotel, new jobs and everything. That must be challenging.

We mess up our GPS lady all the time, lol.

Kathy M.

Natalie said...

Thankfully, the Holy Spirit will NEVER lead us the wrong way. I don't have GPS but I am grateful for that still small voice! To God be the glory!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Dave loved his GPS but me, not so much. I'd rather have an old fashioned map even if it did take me longer -LOL-.

Esther Asbury said...

Yes, I have ("heard the Spirit's "recalculating" lately") -- and I'm so thankful for God's patient teaching in my life!

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

The Spirit of Truth -- He's so much more reliable than the GPS! Thanks, Pamela.

Gay Idle said...

Love this analogy! How many times has the Holy Spirit had to prompt me as I walked forward...in the wrong direction! I am so thankful that God has given us the clear roadmap of His word and the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives when we try and take those side roads that lead us into the path of the enemy.
Blessings,
Gay Idle

Lisa notes... said...

I've heard that voice of "Recalculating" quite a few times too. ha. Both literally and spiritually. It's always a little disconcerting, but it nice to know that even when we take a wrong turn, the Lord knows how to get us back on the right path from wherever we are.

Connie said...

Ah yes, that's a big reason why I like the fold out type maps. I want to see the bigger picture while I'm navigating...hmmm, that's a lesson in itself, isn't it?

What grand adventures you are on in this season of your life. Love the Wesley hymns to help keep us on the path.

Stephanie said...

What a fantastic quote from A.W. Tozer - he is a favorite of mine. You are right, God definitely does not waste our experiences and He uses them for good. Thanks for the lovely post - it was a blessing!

Hugs to you!

Susan Marlene said...

Greetings Pam! Your post got me in the heart today in a good way. I was writing something to submit this morning and I heard the recalculate in my spirit even before I saw your post! Also with the Garmen...recalculate got my little lady so mad she up and quit on me!! Just kidding...but yes the Garmen did quit!! :)Thank you for confirmation....