Monday, August 19, 2013

Finding the Stillness


“Solitude creates space for God, but it also removes our protective distractions, forcing us to deal with our inner chaos.” ~Henri Nouwen

Photo: Little Birdie Blessings
I like accomplishing things.  I like keeping busy.  Admittedly, I like accomplishing my own projects.  I like keeping busy doing the things I like to do.  But I'm seeing a growing trend in myself -- I cannot just sit; my mind or hands have to be occupied.

If I am enjoying family time, I want to be knitting or crocheting.  I can't go anywhere without a book -- or three. Life with a Kindle has only made my intolerance of stillness worse since I can read any of the 200 stored books, read my e-mail or do some research when I am forced to wait.

Stopping for a train, waiting in line at the grocery store, or waiting for the hamburg to fry -- I reach for my Kindle, planning and jotting ideas for a new writing projects or some other busy work. None of these things were wrong, but I was becoming obsessed with accomplishment. I'd get a jittery feeling when I was required to be unoccupied for even a few minutes. 

Photo: Little Birdie Blessings
But what grabbed my attention was the disquiet in my soul.  In my frantic grabbing for accomplishment, my soul was starved -- starved for stillness. 

Elijah knew what busy-ness was. Good busy-ness. When God asked him, "What are you doing here," Elijah offered a large list of accomplishments.“I've been working my heart out for the God-of-the-Angel-Armies.” 

God told Elijah, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”

Elijah looked for God in the hurricane winds and couldn't find Him. He looked for God in an earthquake, but He wasn't to be found there.  Elijah looked for God in the fire, but as with the hurricane and earthquake, He couldn't be found.  

Do you remember where Elijah found God?  In a gentle and quiet whisper. When Elijah heard the voice of God, he hid his face in his cloak.

These past few days my face has been buried in my cloak. I'm quieting myself to find the stillness. And echoed in the stillness I again hear God's whispered words, "Be still, and know that I am God."  



14 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh Pamela, this was beautiful. One of the hardest things about my move to the mountains last year was the change of pace. Busy-ness slowed down - there was less people, less things to do and places to go, less bustle. It took me awhile to get used to the *quiet*...

But now, I wouldn't change a thing - for the lessons I have learned from The Whisper are priceless treasures.

May He meet you in the stillness.

GOD BLESS!

Ceil said...

HI Pam! I do love me some quiet...I almost have the opposite problem. Noise makes me nervous!

But I love Nouwen, so I should pay attention to his point, and yours too, that the chaos in the soul needs to be addressed. I'll have to sit with that for a while.

Good to see you!
Ceil

Rebecca said...

I'm a little like Ceil....(almost the opposite problem).

I know you'll be blessed as you hear and respond to the directions of God's precious Spirit as He speaks to you in the "quiet".

Denise said...

Amen, beautifully written, from a beautiful heart.

Esther Asbury said...

The verse going through my head of late is "They that WAIT upon the Lord shall renew their strength..." I know I need my strength renewed and I'm trying to make time to wait!

Unknown said...

As much as I hate to admit it, when I was stopped at a stoplight or waiting for a friend, or whatever, I'd often reach for my phone to check email, play a game, or get on Facebook. But God has been talking to me about this lack of place for peace and stillness. Opportunities for prayer and adoration await if only I would put down the busyness and seek Him.

Kelly said...

Such a relevant post, Pamela! Our culture does not embrace stillness, free time, or rest. Sadly, I don't either most of the time. I really believe that's one of the many reasons God gifted me with my second child, because there are many times my hands are full of her so I am required to stop "doing" so much.

Unknown said...

I reach for my phone when I do get a moment's quiet. I don't sit down without my phone in reach. I have been convicted of this over and over. It is an easy habit to pick back up... Pun intended. Excellent post.

Stephanie said...

Thank you for this sweet and gentle reminder. Your posts always bless my heart. Hugs to you!

Little Birdie Blessings said...

This is lovely Pamela, we just touched on Elijah in my Bible study last week. The graphics go well here, thanks for the link back. Yes, too much kindle, or electronics can sometimes be a draw away from the stillness that we need. Thanks for the reminder. ~ Abby

Lynda said...

Excellent illustration and it is so typical of all of us and the times we live in. It is a good reminder for me, too. I just finished reading another blog where the reader just relaxed, rested, and enjoyed her Sunday - - - what we all should do.

Naomi said...

Pamela...this is very well written and gives the heart something to ponder. Are we making ourselves too busy to stop, be still and hear the voice of our God? Thank you for the precious reminder and for sharing this encouragement at WJIM this week. Grace & peace to you.

Connie Nelson said...

Oh gosh I loved this! I needed to hear it too! I have been trying to be more quiet, and not so busy ALL the time. I miss those quiet moments with God, and my soul is starving for it! Thank you :)

Amy W said...

I love this post. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the busy-ness of life and miss out on quiet moments with God! I'm trying to learn to slow down and just enjoy the peace with God. It's a daily battle! Thank you for the encouragement. I ran across your blog on the "Hearts for Home" link-up.