Tuesday, August 13, 2013

House for Sale

This is a guest post from my friend, Missy Adams. Missy is a young stay-at-home mother of three adorable boys. She, along with her husband, are raising their boys to love Jesus. Missy also makes the best snickerdoodle cookies ever! 

The house that we live in is pretty. I love it. But, when we decided that we wanted a place with land for our kiddos to roam, we called a realtor and told him that we would like to list it.  Of course they had to come and take pictures. We had to sign a contract stating, among other things, that they could show the house with a 24-hour notice.

The day before they came to take pictures, I was like a mad woman. I cleaned and shined the floors, I organized the closets. I dusted trim. I wiped doors down. I did things that I rarely (I really mean never) do. Why? Because, someone wasn't just dropping by for coffee and a brief visit. They were going to take pictures, and post them on the internet. Perspective buyers would look at those pictures to decide if they would like to live in our house.

People started driving by, once the listing was posted. Wanting to make a good first impression, we decided the outside of the house needed sprucing up a bit -- curb appeal, if you will. We bought potted plants and some deck furniture. We power washed the sidewalk. I remembered to water the plants, which I usually forget. (I seriously have brown thumb, normally). Since there's a good reason to keep up, I've been diligent.

When someone calls for a showing, it is a mad dash. We straighten toys. We reorganize cabinets. We open drawers. We wipe the fridge drawers. We mow the grass. We weed the flower beds. We work like crazy. The house is never ready for showing when someone calls. It has to be put in order. This isn't coffee with friends. They are going to look in my closets. I have to be prepared completely. That takes work.

During devotions this morning I told God that I wanted Him to use me. I was serious. I want God to use me. But I wonder, Am I ready?

I look like a Christian to those that pass by. I can even say the right things. I go to church. But am I really ready?



I have to open my heart to Christ. I have to say, "Look in the closets, and help me clean them out. Look in my mind. Am I thinking pure thoughts?" He sees all the time. He loves me despite my flaws and "cobwebs in the corner." But can He use me? I need to be ready.

My heart needs to be clean. I have to let God clean it. My mind needs to be uncluttered. I need to give the clutter to God, and leave it. Let Him straighten it, and put my priorities in the correct order. I don't want to just look nice to passersby. I want to be ready for a showing. I want to be ready to be used, in a moment's notice. Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching (Timothy 4:2). 

We need to see God now, not 24 hours from now. A vessel ready to be filled and poured out, and shown to those who need to see Jesus. I hope to be HIS hands and feet to others. If I were to meet God today, would I be ready? This is what the Lord says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover (Isaiah 38:1b).
Linked to:



9 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said, Missy! Great post, thanks for sharing!

Sharon said...

Missy, I enjoyed this so much. I remember trying to keep a house clean for those *random* realtor showings - and I didn't have kids!!

And yes, I join you in inviting God to come into my heart and do some housecleaning...

GOD BLESS!

Ceil said...

Hi Missy! I love it when people connect their lives with God. And you have certainly done that. I am sure that God will help you with the heavy lifting, and all the deep cleaning. He's like that!

Nice to meet you today!
Ceil

Denise said...

wonderful guest post.

Barbara said...

He and He alone can make us clean, hallelujah! WE present ourselves, He does the cleaning. I love it.

Esther Joy said...

Great guest post! I shared it on my google+ page!

The Red Brick Farmhouse said...

Good evening~

WONDERFUL POST! Thank you so much for sharing!

Blessings~
Laura

Deanna said...

Enjoyed stopping by your place today!
d

Sizzling LEO said...

really nice, i think if we are looking to buy or sell a house, the internet can be an easiest way in our venture.
home for sale mn