Saturday, August 24, 2013

Life Long Learning ,

Scroll down for $25.00 Amazon gift card...ends Tuesday.

Shall we not go to the Blessed Master and ask Him to enroll our names too anew in that school which He always keeps open for those who long to continue their studies in the Divine art of prayer and intercession? ~Andrew Murray

Melanie graduating from Kindergarten in 1990
It's back-to-school time. I've enjoyed seeing all the first-day pictures on Facebook. The children are all smiles, wearing their backpacks full of new crayons, pencils and notebooks. Uniforms, stiff and new, will soon be softened by washing, and those smiles will slip a bit as homework and early rising catches up with them.

My parents were ground-breakers in the private school era of our part of Pennsylvania. For them, it was what David Gibbs, attorney and founder of Christian Law Association, called "A conviction, not a convenience." 

My children, too, attended private schools. It's been a joy to see Shawn and Melanie give their children the same privilege. Their education not only educates the mind, but reinforces the character building and Christian world-view taught in their home.  

Melanie's daughter, Morgan -- 2014
I graduated more years ago than I like to remember. Yet, I love learning. Lately, I've been studying with Christ as my headmaster -- in the School of Prayer. Andrew Murray, a Dutch reformed Church missionary in the 1800s, was a student of prayer. I'm on chapter ten of his book, "With Christ in the School of Prayer," -- Prayer must be Definite. Murray explains how many of our prayers are vague and pointless. 
Some cry for mercy, but take not the trouble to know what mercy must do for them.  Others ask, perhaps, to be delivered from sin, but do not begin by bringing any sin by name from which the deliverance may be claimed.  Still others pray for God's blessing on those around them, for the outpouring of God's Spirit on their land or the world, and yet have no special field where to wait and expect to see the answer.
Educating with Eternity in View
Murray says that praying definitely is when we enter the training-school of faith. Jesus asked blind Bartimaeus, "What wilt thou I should do unto thee?" Bartimaeus didn't just ask God to bless him. No, he spoke up and said, "I want to see." 

I'm sure my high school teachers would tell you I could have applied myself more. I certainly don't want God to examine my prayer life and know I could have had answers, had I only applied myself in prayer.  

I believe God loves to answer our prayers. I'm still in school, still learning from the One who gave us the pattern for prayer.  Martin Luther said, "Prayer is not overcoming God's reluctance, but laying hold of His willingness." 

I'm eager to lay hold of God's willingness. To be faithful to call on God and see the great and mighty things He's promised to do. (Jeremiah 33:3).

Sweet Sheltering Prayers
Linked to




10 comments:

Rebecca said...

I try to go to Andrew Murray's School of Prayer about once a year -- to reread the book, I mean. I pray more than once a year :)

We appreciate Christian education, too. Our three children attended most of their elementary and high school years at private Christian schools. Looking back, I can't imagine how we afforded it, but God provided! So thankful we made that decision.

Anita Johnson said...

Our kids went to public schools, but chose to go to Wheaton College ( In Illinois) after high school. They loved the Christian world view and life long friends they met. I was a teacher long ago...there is excitement in the air about a new school year. Joining with you in praying for all the kids and teachers heading back in the next few days...

Aritha V. said...

I love what you write about prayer and Andrew Murray. Thank you and also thanks for your visit to my blog.

Hug.

Elizabethd said...

We don't have the option in England to send children to purely Christian schools.There are Catholic convent schools, mainly for girls, and there are schools known as 'faith' schools, but they seem to encompass many differing faiths.

jviola79 said...

Beautiful post. Like you, I certainly could have applied myself more than I did while attending school. May I apply myself to learn the things that God would teach me at this time in my life is my prayer this morning. Thank you for sharing this. I visited from Spiritual Sundays.
Blessings,
Joanne

Lisa notes... said...

Wow. This really convicts me to be more specific in my prayers. I think we (um, I) get lazy and too generic. Thanks for lighting a fire, Pamela. I need to read that book.

Denise said...

Sounds like an inspiring book! I agree; "many of our prayers are vague and pointless". I certainly find myself and my family repeating the same prayer at meals, and also when I don't take enough time for long intimate prayer. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Blessings for a joyful back-to-school week! :)
Denise

Sharon said...

Loved your post today, Pamela.

I will join you in going to the *School of Prayer*. I have much to learn. I get distracted, I don't listen often enough, and I've failed a few tests. But, God is a patient teacher, and He seems to have taken a special interest in me (thank goodness!!)

GOD BLESS!

Ceil said...

Hi Pamela! I hope we all stay in that school of 'prayer' our whole lives. I think our Teacher loves to see us show up day after day to learn!

Ceil

Susan Marlene said...

Hi Pamela! I absolutely love Andrew Murray! That is one man of God I look forward to meeting in the hear-after! So much wisdom and depth in his musings about the Lord! Thank you for sharing!