Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Shelter of Mentoring

Marriage is hard work and can be a bumpy road at times. But if I hang on tight to the hem of Jesus and the hand of my husband – I’ll have the best ride of my life!  Courtney at Women Living Well

Melanie wrote this for her small group last week. It's full of Thanksgiving for how much the women have taught her. I think it is a beautiful example of women teaching women. God has a place for each of us in His kingdom. As a mother, I am touched by the thankfulness she shows for the heritage she and Shawn share. 




I want you ladies to know these are not some "fly by the seat of your pants" thoughts I am about to share. Knowing our roles and responsibilities that God has designed for us is so crucial, Susan mentioned to me that there is so much negative in the world that it would be good for me to share some positive thoughts concerning a Godly heritage. 


Do you know how God has been using each of you to teach, strengthen and stretch me? You are teaching me accountability, how to rely on God, how to pray without ceasing, transparency...on and on. I have been taking in and soaking up all of what God has allowed you to bring to the table for me, but now, I would like you to allow me to give back.


The strong, Godly heritage Shawn and I have been raised with and live under has never made it from a head knowledge of thankfulness to a heart knowledge of thankfulness until last Tuesday. You see, the part of my brain that would be used in defining -- meaning: giving definitions of things -- seems to be non-existent in most settings. Feelings are hard for me to describe, as well. I sat mute last Tuesday during discussion. How do I describe what seemed to be such a normal way of life?

I am living proof of the "triangle of protection" Susan mentioned last week. My parents followed Christ and were shown what a Godly relationship should be like from their parents. The roles and responsibilities of the husband and wife were designed by God. This was my upbringing. So engraved in me -- like rings of a tree.

Do Shawn and I make mistakes? You better believe it! But we also see the way God designed for us to work as a team, and when we strive to carry it out, God blesses the relationship. There are mishaps in everyday life, but the triangle of our heritage and openness to work together with the knowledge handed to us provides a great foundation for ourselves, our children, and those around us.


Thank you for watering my spiritual soul during the short time we have been together! I want to give you a gift because I believe so strongly in a healthy, Godly marriage. I feel this is a way I can give back to you!


Created to Be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl

I hear you talk and bare your soul as you tell us how you are listening to God and working to be the best wife and mother you can be. I applaud you for your strength in wanting a Godly marriage/home. I am praying for you and cheering with you along the way! This book I am giving you has been a huge influence in my role of being a wife. I pray that God can use it to be a blessing to you, too.


Linked to


10 comments:

Beth said...

A beautiful post from Melanie!

Joy said...

Lovely post. That is inspiring:)

Elizabethd said...

What a joy to read.

Terra said...

Beautiful to read these upbeat words.

Ceil said...

Hi Pamela and Melanie! Thank you for sharing your personal letter and photos with all of us. You are a brave woman!

The fact that you want a marriage that reflects the love of God is so lovely. And you really want others to know how important that is. I was also struck by how wonderful your group must be, that you can write so personally after a short time in it. Those are some special ladies!
You have so much to be thankful for this week!
Blessings, Ceil

Sharon said...

So nice, Melanie.

Wishing you and your entire family a very Happy Thanksgiving, as we ponder and appreciate the many blessings we have been given by our Lord.

GOD BLESS!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

a Godly heritage is a joy and a blessing. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours; make wonderful memories.

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Pamela and Melanie,

Is Melanie your daughter, Pamela? What a kind post, God-honoring post here.

What book was she talking about too at the end?

Thank you for stopping by my post "...The Word is Out." Cranberry splash sounds delicious. Is that the pink sprite-y stuff? We drink that for Thanksgiving at my husband's house. he likes that too.

I'm sorry for the physical hardships you have, Pamela. May God give you his strength on hard days, and may he take away the pain.

Have a good week. Happy Thanksgiving,
Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

Mrs. Smith said...

Hello Pamela and Melanie! This is a beautiful post! It's always a blessing to visit over here.

I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. The link is http://sweetteaandsimplicity.blogspot.com/2013/12/liebster-award-fun.html

I hope that you are having a joyful December!

RicKaren said...

I've so enjoyed catching up tonight. Thank you for always sharing honestly from your hearts! Prayers for you this Christmas-time!