Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Embrace Grace -- 'Tis the Season


Grace is giving what people need, not what they deserve. ~Mike Miller


I saw it first cupped in my parent's hands when I disobeyed yet again. I was disciplined, but loved. 

I saw it in a teacher's hands when I failed to study. 



I saw it in a friend's eyes when my teasing turned hurtful. 

I saw in my husband's hands when I threw off God's plan of submission.

I saw it in my daughter's hands when the punishment over-extended the childish crime.

I saw it in a friend's hands when I was careless with the gift of friendship.

And this week, when I needed to bestow my own grace, I looked at my empty cupped hands. Where was the grace others seemed to give so freely? Where was the grace that filled their hands? 

"God," I prayed, "Help me offer undeserved grace." 

It was then I felt that first drop splash into my hands. I raised my eyes heavenward and saw the cupped hands of God. Hands overflowing with grace as drop after drop spilled into my hands.

Tears filled my eyes as I extended my now filled hands, letting it flow over the one who needs it -- even though they may not know. But in my heart, I know.  And, after all, it's my heart that needs to extend grace. My heart that needs to follow the Biblical command of giving freely as I have received (Matthew 10:8). 

I'm thankful for the truth breathed into my heart by the Holy Spirit. Truth calling me from my bed to the computer, eager to share these grace thoughts, knowing I am not alone in needing to be grace-filled. 

But equal is the knowledge that if we don't use God's grace on the offenses of others, then how can we worship the Christ God has so freely given? 

Grace is hard for me. I want to pull my hurts around me like an armor and brandish my weapon, determining never to be hurt again. But that very armor keeps out the Christ Child. It is my longing for Him that pries the armor away, for I've found it's hard to hold both grace and sword. 

My sword is pushed aside as I welcome the grace-gift of God. The One given because God so loved. His grace reaches me, giving me courage to respond. And I choose to respond with grace.  


Linked to

11 comments:

Beth said...

It is indeed the season! Lovely post Pamela!

Sharon said...

Beautiful. I think we are almost incapable of giving out grace until we really grasp the depth of the grace that we've been given. And then, opening our hands up to His grace (I loved that image you painted) - we will find them full to overflowing.

GOD BLESS!

Rebecca said...

I appreciate your honesty. I struggle with grace, too. (That's why "my word" for the past two years has been "grace" or "gracious".)

Thank God for His grace with me when my own is lacking.

Jenn said...

love this so much.. especially your beautiful description of the cupped hands of God. Thanks!

Brenda said...

Hello Pamela,
when I read your post 'Freely we have received, freely we must give' came into my mind. We can so easily forget that is is by the grace of God we have been saved can't we - nothing of ourselves?
God bless

Esther Asbury said...

How often I've received, and yet it's just as often been a struggle to pass it on.
These lines ministered to me today and found me where I am: "Grace is hard for me. I want to pull my hurts around me like an armor and brandish my weapon, determining never to be hurt again. But that very armor keeps out the Christ Child. It is my longing for Him that pries the armor away, for I've found it's hard to hold both grace and sword."

Lisa notes... said...

"God," I prayed, "Help me offer undeserved grace."

I wonder how different our world (and we!) would look if we all prayed this prayer at least once a day. Thank you, Pamela, for this beauty.

Marilyn said...

To help me remember this I am going to make a craft with the word 'grace'. It has been on my mind a lot in recent days. Yesterday when I was in town I found the letters I need, but when I got home discovered they are too large for the piece I was planning on. I'll find another way to make them work as it is too important for me to do this. Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas.♥♫

Aritha V. said...

Thats wonderful. Thanks!

LeAnn said...

What a lovely post; I too need to give more grace.
I haven't been by for a while; but I will be again.
Blessings!

Jennifer Dougan said...

Pamela,

Seeing it another's eyes... that undeserved gift of grace.... hm. Thanks for this image and reminder.

Have a great new year,
Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com