Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Word God Chose

But for the most part, love is a recognition, an opportunity to say, "There is something about you I cherish." ~Raymond Feist 

My 2013 words were Less...and More.  While it's easy to see the places I've failed, I come away with some successes in Less -- less of me, less possessions, less need for things and approvals. 

As the less increased I found myself with so much more of God.  It surprised me how quickly the "less" holes were filled with the more. Even more surprising is how God filled them.

A year ago I would not have believed the changes. A year ago I may have said, "No way!" I'm so thankful for a husband who listens closely to our Heavenly Father.  One who follows in faith, embracing all God has for our family. 

2014 promises to bring many changes to us. Personal family changes as we plan a wedding and gain a son. Professional changes, beyond what we could ask or think, and goals met in all genres of living. It is from this year of less and more that God has led me to my 2014 word. 

So in this year, I have chosen to CHERISH each moment. The moments of choosing a wedding dress, venues and decorations. The moments of writing the wedding ceremony. The moments of a daughter graduating from college. I'm cherishing the moments teaching my granddaughter and sharing tea parties each Monday. Of watching our three grandsons grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

I will cherish the glimpses of Melanie's "all" she gives to her family and church activities, as well as her love for RB and me so evident in the ways she offers her love with gifts that pamper, gifts of her time and so many other practical ways that lift my load.

I will cherish Shawn's guidance of their family, his desire to follow God's best for his business, family and the ministries God has allowed him to be a part of.

I'll cherish my friends -- those I can can ask for prayer, and know they will take time to take my cares to God. Those we laugh with, cry with, and who share our heart's dreams and heartaches. I'll cherish the new friendships in my writers' group, and old friends from years gone by. Cherish dear extended family and both old and new.

Most of all I want to take the time to cherish my relationship with my Heavenly Father. To be more aware of His love and the ways He blesses me. To embrace His comfort in hard times, the chastening when I'm veering off course, and sweet nudging of the Holy Spirit. I'll cherish God's word as I read through a chronological Bible. And I'll cherish the old rugged cross and my Savior, the Father who gave, and the Holy Spirit who abides.

There's so much to cherish this year, yet I know this has only scratched the surface. As I journal through the year, I believe I will find experiences, blessings, and yes, even many changes, to cherish. I will hold them dear, will record them to encourage the coming generations, and allow them to change me into more of who God plans for me to be.

I'm delighted with the word God chose for me. With Mary, the mother of Jesus, I will keep all these things and cherish them in my heart (Luke 2:18).




10 comments:

Terra said...

Cherish is a wonderful word to choose as you move in to the new year.

Sharon said...

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

This is a wonderful word - and it will be exciting to see how God teaches you the fullest meaning of it in the coming year!

The Lord has given me a word, too - and I'll be posting it next week. But, truthfully, it's a surprise - and I'm wondering how He's going to work it out in my life. I know He will - but it's going to be an adventure!

Blessings to all of you in this Happy New Year!

GOD BLESS!

Beth said...

A lovely post Pamela! Congratulations on the happy events that are planned for this year!

Relyn Lawson said...

Hello, friend. I wanted to stop by and thank you for being a part of my blog in 2013. You have been a blessing to me. For the coming year, I have a few wishes for you.

May 2014 bring you much joy.
May we all have peace in our homes,
laughter by our firesides,
time spent with family,
and contentment in our hearts.
Be well, my friend.

sherry said...

A beautiful post. It sounds like you will have much to cherish this year. God bless you all. Thank you for such thought provoking words to start out the new year.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love your word for 2014.

Cherishing you,
Glenda

Kristin Bridgman said...

A beautiful word, a beautiful post!
My 2014 word is Honor.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Lynda said...

Excellent word for 2014. As I get older, I have learned to cherish each moment. They pass so very quickly. Your family is beautiful.

Pam Williams said...

Cherish is a word I have always loved the sound and meaning of. What a wonderful choice for 2014. May God bless you with many moments to cherish, Pamela!

Rebecca said...

It IS a beautiful word. A warm one, I think...It speaks of a deep, inner appreciation for an object or person that doesn't really have proper words to express itself. I look forward to reading of your year of cherishing as it unfolds in the days to come.

Happy, blessed New Year to you and your loved ones, Pamela.