Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Joy of Love Letters


At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done. We will be judged by "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless, and you took me in. ~Mother Teresa

For three years they came almost every day -- stamp upside down and sealed with a kiss. Sometimes addressed to Pam, other times Pamela or Pamelove, it didn't matter which -- I was just happy to see the familiar and artistic handwriting. With each letter I found myself falling in love a little bit more with the author.

Just so with the love letters from God -- a faithful reading every day brings a greater love for the author. The more I know about God, the more I long to know more about him. As I study his letters, I find reading is not enough. My faith in who God is requires more than a cursory reading of his letters, it urges me to be a participant -- to have a faith fruitful in works that James talks about. Isn’t it obvious that faith and works are yoked partners, that faith expresses itself in works?(James 2:22).

What happens next is amazing. In my doing, I actually become a letter from God to the world around me. You are a letter from Christ...not a letter written with pen and ink, but by the Spirit of the living God; not one carved on stone, but in human hearts (2 Corinthians 2:2-3).

It's in giving of my possessions, time and self; relinquishing selfishness; showing compassion; and denying myself to bless others that I am clearly read. It doesn't mean I water down God's truth or change it to be politically correct or more accepting of others and their agendas. Rather it means I embrace the truth and live it with joy! 

The Spirit of God, living in me, writes his letter on my heart. It's my desire that those whom I touch each day will hear the whisper of "You've got mail." 

3 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

The thing I like about your opening quote is that ANYONE can do that! Anyone can be God's love letter!

Joan Stommen said...

So beautifully said, Pamela. This is a wonderful way to look at our faith...to be read like a letter from God! Thank you for this motivating message to keep doing and being all that we can.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Reading God's letter to become a letter. I love that.

Fondly,
Glenda