Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sheltering on Roller Skates


Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia


I remember Melanie helping Emily learn to roller skate. Melanie was a pro by the time Emily was three and and asking for roller skates. She could fly around the blacktopped campus, yet slowing down long enough to help her sister, holding hands to steady her and pulling her up when she fell. Now it's Melanie's Ethan slowing down long enough to help his brother Camron skate, holding hands to steady him and pulling him up when he falls.

Solomon in Ecclesiastes tells us that if someone falls when he's alone, he's in real trouble. Two people are better than one...If one person falls, the other can reach out and help (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10). 

I think the easiest way for Christian women to fall is in the area of discouragement. Our lives are filled to the brim of expectations -- from ourselves and others. It's easy to feel overwhelmed and to look at ladies who appear to be able to "do it all." Add to that the pressure of perfection, and we often fall under the load.



How beautiful to have a Christian friend who understands. I have a couple friends whom I can text for prayer when I'm down -- When the house needs cleaned, laundry is piled up, hours of writing calling and a migraine is starting. Other times I need to focus and a few words of encouragement or a listening ear refuels my I-can-do-it determination.


Here are a few ways to pull up a discouraged friend:

1. Pray. Stop what you are doing and pray immediately. 
2. Listen. Sometimes we just need someone to hear our heart.
3. Deliver a Starbucks. Just go to the door, hand it over and leave.
4. Text a prayer. RB has a friend who responds with a written prayer, and he treasures them. 
5. Give verbal praise.  In our discouragement we tend to focus on what we perceive to be failures. We need to be reminded of the ways we are succeeding. 
6. Give chocolate -- Dark. Smooth. Chocolate! 

Pulling your friend from discouragement doesn't require a grandiose gift or action. It doesn't even have to talk a lot of time. It's just the knowledge that someone cares. That makes the biggest difference. John Holmes said, "There's no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting others up." And we all need the exercise.


 Linking to:

.


13 comments:

Petra said...

These are wonderful ideas of encouragement. I especially like # 3 and 4.

Unknown said...

Loved this post.

SuzyQ said...

Pam, you are my liquid Chocolate sunshine! Thanks!
Sue

Denise said...

Amen, thanks for the encouragement.

Lynda said...

A great post with good advice. I like the illustration for the intro.

Sharon said...

That is such a beautiful quote. I love it. And I also loved the story about Ethan helping his little brother - what a precious picture that painted in my mind.

Yes, we are called to love one another - and that means helping each other and encouraging each other. And reminding each other that none of us do this life alone. We have each other, and we have our Savior!

GOD BLESS!

Unknown said...

I think you are right -- sometimes we think our acts of service have to be big things, but it's really the small that can totally overwhelm and comfort the heart.

RicKaren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RicKaren said...

One of mine had a skating wreck just yesterday. I was feeding the baby, so I watched big sister tend to the wounds. It was pretty sweet and a perfect illustration of your quote. Oh, and I'll take the Starbucks, but no chocolate--I'm really strange and don't care for it at all. :) the small things mean so much!

Rebecca said...

Learning to bless others according to THEIR need is so helpful. Through my recent circumstances, I've been on the receiving end frequently. Of course ALL gestures are appreciated (and humbling), but I've REALLY been blown away by those who know something specific about me and minister THAT way...

Courtney said...

Wonderful advice. So often, just simply showing someone that we are there is exactly what they need. Thank you for these tips!

The Dickinsons said...

Fun post, Pam. Cute pics of your grand kids. How sweet of the oldest to slow down and help the youngest. Since I'm the youngest...I was GLAD when my older siblings helped me. =)

Sweet ways you mentioned to encourage the heart of a friend. =)

Many blessings from Argentina! =)
~Heather~

Esther Asbury said...

What great ideas for encouragement!