Monday, April 14, 2014

The Shelter of Family



In the cookies of life, sisters are the chocolate chips. 



Siblings. I've been thinking about mine all week as one friend after another posted sibling pictures on Facebook for National Sibling Day. I have but two, a sister and brother.

My daddy told me once the thing that would hurt him the most is if, as adult children, we would to fight with each other. And we don't. Of course we each live our lives differently and we don't always agree, but we love each other, and in that love there is the ingredient of respect. 


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time.    ~Clara Ortega
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Craig is six years my junior, yet somewhere in the midst of adulthood has become more like a big brother. Always caring, ever verbal about his love for me.


Melodie has always been the big sister. Typical first born with a hint of bossiness.  She will still spit-shine me, yank on my clothes and fix my hair. But she will also help me fight my battles, will actually listen when I talk, and is my best friend. 

The only thing I think Craig hasn't forgiven me for is the row of black and blue knuckle marks I left on his arm. Boys don't hit girls, you know, so I was assured retaliation wouldn't occur. 

Melodie hasn't forgiven me for crunching carrots in bed while I read as she tried to sleep. Oh, and maybe for chasing her with a dead rabbit. (I don't remember my two-year-old self, but the home movies are hilarious).


There's just nothing like your very own siblings. And in the family of God, we have brothers and sisters, too. We don't always agree, but we love and respect.

Some of our brothers and sisters are younger in the faith. Others are older. Sometimes they hurt us, other times they flat annoy us. There are even times they chase us with their convictions until we want to yell, "stop!" 

But they are our very own spiritual siblings. And it grieves our Heavenly Father when we fight among ourselves. Paul asks, Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves (James 4:1).


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Disunity is not just fighting over personal preferences. It’s not just gossip that tears down other members of the body. It’s leaving needs unmet. It’s failing to love people the way God would have us love. Unity is lived out in caring concern for others. ~Brent Tomlin                         
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Selfishness is at the core of all fights. I believe that if we love, we won't feel the need to argue every point. Instead let's strive to obey these words, Stay on good terms with each other, held together by love (Hebrews 13:1).

Oh, how I love you, my brothers and sisters. We may not always agree, but we must cherish being held together by love -- the love of our Heavenly Father.


 



11 comments:

Sharon said...

Pamela, I also have two siblings, a brother and a sister - though I am the oldest (Melodie, we'll have a cup of coffee sometime and discuss the travails of being a first-born!!). And yes, we're all quite different. But, I have been blessed to see how we've all come together in united purpose to help with my parents - especially now since my dad just recently passed away. My sibs are a blessing.

And so are my sibs-in-the-Lord! May we continue, in the Body of Christ, to show others HIs love by our love and harmony.

GOD BLESS!

Happy Easter to all!

Denise said...

Really enjoyed this.

Beth said...

This is a beautiful post. I have one sister remaining and I appreciate her so much.

Joy said...

Oh! Now I.miss my siblings.
there is a bond between us sisters in Christ and I love it.
Thanks for the inspired words.

Unknown said...

Pamela,
Wonderful memories. Thanks.

Heart n Soul said...

Love your photo quote about families, so very true. How good when we take the time to celebrate, cherish and capture the precious moments of life.

Mindy said...

Sweet! I'd better let my sister now how much she's loved. =)

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I am so blessed by my 2 brothers and 2 sisters and many in.laws, too.

Fondly,
Glenda

Unknown said...

What a lovely bond you have with your siblings! Shared history binds us. Sounds like you have maintained a loving relationship with them both! Thankful God has united us all in this way!

Christy @ A Heartening Life
www.ahearteninglife.com

Esther Asbury said...

Beautifully written and very timely! I needed this today, thanks for the gentle reminder in this paragraph:
"Some of our brothers and sisters are younger in the faith. Others are older. Sometimes they hurt us, other times they flat annoy us. There are even times they chase us with their convictions until we want to yell, "stop!"

Kimberly said...

That's a great quote about disunity...thanks!