Sunday, May 4, 2014

Sheltering with a Teapot



You're going out to tea today, 
Be careful what you do; 
Let all accounts that I shall hear, 
Be pleasant ones, of you.
Kate Greenaway


A children's tea brings with it such fun! Melanie and I were asked to prepare one for Ethan and Landon's classroom. It was a busy time for me, so most of what you will see in the pictures originated with Melanie -- her creativity is endless, and I get so much joy in watching her ideas come to life.






I'm a firm believer that beautiful possessions should be used. We packed up my china, depression glass and goblets for Melanie to take home. She had the decorating and table setting done when I arrived to make the ribbon sandwiches. 






I loved seeing the eight children gathered around Melanie as she explained tea party etiquette. The gentlemen pulled out the little ladies' chairs.  Napkins were spread on laps and we heard "Yes, please" and "No, thank you" as food was passed. The rock sugar stirrers were a big hit.




The "Pass the Sugar Cube" and "Pin the Lid on the Tea Pot" games went over well. The silly poems Melanie read were enjoyed, too. Passing traditions and rituals to a new generation is a necessary part of education. 





One child had expressed that he wasn't sure he wanted to attend a tea party. He asked his teacher, "Will there be dessert?" When she assured him she was sure there would be, he decided it would be fun. He enjoyed the tea bag cookies and other dainty treats. 






As the children were excused to play, I delighted in their thank- yous, praise for the food and games, and announcements declaring, "That was fun." And right there a bit of truth wound its way through the chaos of children voicing their play plans. I thought, God prepares a tea party before me every day! Reflecting on how I delighted in hearing the praise of the child-guests, I was reminded how blessed I am to join Him daily in moments around His table, feasting on the good things of Jesus! What a joy! Just as I delighted in the praise of the child-guests, I have to believe our praise to God for the parties He provides is what brings such blessing to our time with Him. 


Linked to:



8 comments:

Marsha Young said...

WHAT a delightful tea party! Thank you for sharing it with us.
Blessings to you - Marsha

Esther Asbury said...

Couldn't help but think, "Like mother, like daughter" as I read your post! Melanie learned from the best!
BTW - There is nothing as rewarding as a child's "That was fun!"

Lisa notes... said...

I think it sends an important message when we use our beautiful possessions--that we value the people we're using them with as beautiful too! Thanks for sharing this day and photos. I may have to break out the china tonight. :)

Anonymous said...

God does, indeed, set a beautiful table. Thank you for reminding me to enjoy it often.

Denise said...

Such a sweet post.

Kelli Woodford said...

Oh, friend. You have a gift. What a delight to see those little faces smiling upward with such rapt enjoyment! This is holy work. Let no one convince you otherwise.

Thanks for linking with Unforced Rhythms.

RicKaren said...

What a lovely party! Thanks for sharing the ideas. I love the watermelon teapot!

Rebecca said...

Sweet! Reminds me to make/take the time to plan for these kinds of special events. They don't "just happen", do they?