Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Awards of Our Labor


Let us, with such measure of grace as we have, and much prayer for more, take up our calling as God’s working men, and do good hard work for Him. ~Andrew Murray

There they sat, waiting. It was a year's culmination of hard work. An autumn beginning, a long, hard winter and a spring that crawled by when boys just wanted to be outside in the sunshine. But it ended, and Ethan and Landon waited for the awards ceremony to begin.



And were they ever awarded! Honor roll, perfect attendance, high averages, etc. There's joy in seeing your grandchildren walk across the stage for their awards -- awards they worked for diligently. There is satisfaction in being a part of a school that insists on quality education, yet is equally committed to encouraging their students to do hard things and impact a world for Christ. There is gratefulness in seeing your own child carry on a three generational conviction of giving the next generation an education with a Christian worldview. 



My heart was full, and this morning as I worked to rid our home of the dust and clutter of the week, the Holy Spirit whispered sweet words through the message of Scripture: The ones who plant and the ones who water have one purpose; and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor (1 Corinthians 3:8). 

In the middle of smoothing out a new tablecloth, I asked myself, How hard are you working for God? Oh I know our works won't gain us entrance into heaven -- that walking on golden streets is accomplished only the the blood of Christ and confession of sins. But am I constantly striving to weave Christ through everything I do? If I'm mentoring, am I lifting up self or lifting up Christ. If I'm writing, do my words point others to grace, hope, redemption? If I'm cooking, am I thankful for God's provisions or merely putting food on a plate? If I'm cleaning, do I light a candle to bless my family, or is my home only a shrine to my organization skills? 



This work stuff is our everyday life. But to Christ, it is who we are at our messiest. It's not what our lips say, but what our hearts do. I want to work as diligently at the work Christ gives through ordinary rituals and daily expectations as my grandsons worked academically this year. Whether I'm planting or watering, doing housework or writing, cooking or mentoring, whether awarded here or in heaven, I'll be working for God.
Linked to



6 comments:

Linda Stoll said...

Oh Pamela ... these are the moments we live for, the threads that weave our families close.

Denise said...

Precious moments.

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wanda said...

Such a great reminder Pamela that in all of doing do as unto the Lord. It's easy to use do things out of habit but miss the fact the God is concerned about our heart attitude as well.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Pamela! What happy faces your grandsons have! - and your words - I've always felt called to plant seeds and water - there hasn't been a door open for the harvesting - but one of my sons - he has that ability. He tried evangelizing his little brother when he was 5. If I didn't understand that God doesn't call us to do everything just what He designed us for - I would beat myself up inside - but when I understood my job - I learned to soar with it!

Thank you for sharing you heart - it lifted mine up!

Esther Asbury said...

This lesson was brought home to me in such a real way several years ago! I have never forgotten the quiet whisper of the Lord to me.. "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus," Col. 3:17