Sunday, July 13, 2014

Style from God's Closet


I'd rather dress for the desires of the King, than for the desires of a man. ~unknown


She stole my heart the moment I saw her. A tiny bundle of joy with a head full of dark hair. So much hair her mommy played with barrettes and ribbons before she even left the hospital. (Grandma may or may not have been involved.) 

I love how God puts the love of all things girly into female hearts. Morgan can ride 4-wheelers with her brothers and play pirates with gusto, yet walk away to cuddle dolls and play dress up.




Last week Auntie indulged Morgan's love of dress up, letting her choose a dress and shoes, and styling a special grown-up hairdo. The photo shoot turned out awesome photographs.

Morgan was happy to be dressed in Auntie's clothes. And while there's nothing in Auntie's closet that would fit me, there's another closet that I've found that has clothes in any size. God's closet.




I slide the hangers across the rod, taking in the color, style, and the smallest detail. Each one seems tailor made. How can I possibly choose just one?

It's then the Master Tailor steps up beside me, the measuring tape around His neck. They are all made just for you, He whispers. I want you to have the whole wardrobe. He begins to pull the clothes from their hangers one by one, handing me a little red number named kindness. I try it on, then one by one -- compassion, humility, gentleness and patience. There's a lacy one named forgiveness, too. 

But it's when God takes the last garment off the rack that I gasp. So much sparkling gold and rich, deep purple. It's a gown fit for royalty. I hold it up to me and do a little swirl. The full skirt swishes around my legs. I look at God, questions in my eyes: Can I ever be worthy of wearing this gown?... What if the delicate fabric tears? 




God's love breaches the space between us. Put it on. It's the most important gown in the collection. I looked at the tag and read, "One size fits all." I turned it over and read the care instructions, Hand wash in love and tumble dry in unity.

So unworthy of this wardrobe sewn at Calvary and so freely given. In my humanness, often in my carelessness, I have torn, wrinkled, or pulled the hem out of one of these garments. Each time I take them back to the Master Tailor. He mends them gently and hangs them back in the closet, ready for me to wear again. 

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity (
Colossians 3:12-14).







11 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

It's always refreshing to note that there are still families with young girls being trained to dress appropriately and modestly. Have a great day!

Lisa notes... said...

"They are all made just for you, He whispers. I want you to have the whole wardrobe."

Such a delightful post to read(and pictures to see too)! I know I too often take for granted that God has specifically crafted hand-sewn outfits just for me, if I'll just take the time to put them on. Thanks for sharing this reminder.

Wholesome Joy said...

Beautiful post, and Love your daughters hairstyle! <3

Sharon said...

Love this. First of all, Morgan is adorable. She looks so beautiful *all dressed up* - but it's her smile, and how it displays her heart, that is so lovely!

This was a great analogy, Pamela. Yes, I am so glad that God took my *filthy rags* and traded them for robes of righteousness. And I can't wait to wear my crown at the Wedding Feast of the Lamb!!

GOD BLESS!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! What lovely images painted with words. And your granddaughter's hairdo is lovely. I still like to play dress up too.

Anonymous said...

God designs our wardrobe with the best - just for us - what girl doesn't want that! I love how you wove your story, with so much love for your granddaughter. She is beautiful, from the beautiful crown of hair God gave her to the beautiful things you are sewing inside her!

Sophia Reed said...

I love this post. I like the fact that you are teaching your young girl that you can be beautiful in her own way. I also love the fact that she is wearing something age appropriate which can be hard to find in girls in this day and age. "Train up a child the way that he should go, and when they are older they will not depart from it." I am sure your lessons in teaching her how to dress like a young lady will stick with her.

Deborah said...

Beautiful post, and lovely photos! Yellow is my favorite colour!

JES said...

Wow, this was such a beautiful analogy! Thank you for sharing on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. You always inspire!

JES said...

Congratulations! This was one of the top 3 viewed posts on our link up last week and has been featured! Please join us again on the Art of Home-Making Mondays :)

http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-art-of-home-making-mondays-please_21.html

MB said...

Aw your niece is gorgeous! I like the analogy and He is the finest tailor we will ever meet ;)