Tuesday, August 26, 2014

5 Ways to Get a Good Night's Sleep


I'm so good at sleeping, I can do it with my eyes closed.



The British humorist and poet, Thomas Hood, said, "O bed! O bed! delicious bed! That heaven on earth to the weary head." Sometimes that delicious bed turns to stone, causing turning and tossing, leading to tangled sheets and blankets. I've had many of these nights and I'm sure many of you relate.

The age old solution of counting sheep doesn't always work. The new, "Instead of counting sheep, talk to the Shepherd," doesn't always work, either. (Although talking to God is never wasted time.)
  

Here are a few ways I've found to find a peaceful night of rest.

1. Bedtime rituals: Drink a cup of tea, take a hot shower, then read a chapter in your book before turning off the light. Doing the same routine each night announces to your body, "It's time to sleep."

My favorite teas:
Tazo Well Being Rest
Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea
Yogi Bedtime Tea
Bigelow Sweet Dreams



2. Clean, tight sheets: Here's a humorous little dialogue RB and I have engaged in for many years --

Me: Do you know what I want when we get rich?
RB: A maid to change the sheets every day?
Me: You know me well.

3. Lavender: Research shows that the scent of lavender eases anxiety and insomnia. You can use a diffuser or simply put a few drops of lavender on a tissue under your pillow. I like doTerra and Young Living oils. You can add a drop or two of the oil into your rinse water to give your sheets the scent of lavender, too.


4. Activity List: An hour before bedtime, write your to-do list for the following day. You won't be kept awake thinking of the things that needs done the following day when your tasks are on paper.

5.  Meditate on Scripture. Here are my favorite verses to use for meditation as you fall asleep.

Proverbs 3:34: If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

Psalm 121:3-4: He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

Psalm 91:1: Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

Psalm 4:8: In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, will keep me safe. 


Psalm 116:7: Let my soul be at rest again, for the Lord has been good to me.

Sleep Bible Verse Cards: Click to Print


I hope these 5 steps will help you drift off to sleep, sleep deeply and awaken refreshed. We face our busy days with more energy when we have had a good night's sleep, and it's harder for the enemy of our soul to discourage us throughout the day.
Linked to:



10 comments:

Shannon Wallace said...

Thank you, Pamela. Hubby and I have had a difficult time resting well for the past few years. I will take your advice to heart, and start a new, good routine before bedtime. :)

Deborah said...

Funny I should read this this morning...I had a terrible sleep last night! But I also forgot to put lavender on my pillow. :(
Thanks for the great tips.

Esther Asbury said...

Great advice and lovely Scripture printables!

Beth said...

I really like number 5, Pamela. I'll have to try that, since sleep may become a problem for me as I venture through menopause! :P I also agree about the regular routine that signals our bodies for rest. I strive for that most nights and feel it has helped to keep insomnia at bay. Thanks for this helpful post, my friend!

Connie said...

I love Psalm 4:8
Perfect rest :)

Pam Williams said...

Thank you for this post, Pamela. I will try some of your suggestions. I especially liked the scripture "He who keeps you will not slumber." If God is up caring for my loved ones and me, I don't need to be! Thanks again!

Nana Jul said...

Thank you for these 5 steps to get to sleep. I've had many restless nights where the bed feels like rock. My neighbor Maria needs them most right now. Her heart is giving out and her last trip to the hospital has changed her whole world. She is now in a long term care facility and will not be returning home. She's depressed and cannot breathe when she does fall asleep. She wakes up gasping for air. I've printed these verses out to take to her tomorrow.
Thank you again!
Julie

Susan Marlene said...

I had to get my schedule in order also, tea and read a book...as long as I save suspence for the daytime!! LOL!! Great advice! :)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

These are great ideas, and I love how you even included the kinds of tea that you like.

I am sleeping so much better now that I have quit my job. I used to wake up and then couldn't get back to sleep as I mulled over all the things that I needed to get done and how could I do things better.

Now I just wake up and think, did I lock the trailer after doing a bit more packing? Lol.

Hugs, Pamela. Oh, I'm back to blogging again.

Kathy M.

paulsmith198914@gmail.com said...

Thank you so much for sharing your personal ideas with us! I'm sure that you'll be interested in http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/10-tips-how-to-get-great-nights-sleep-every-day. Wishing you tight sleeps!