Thursday, August 21, 2014

5 Ways to Journal Your Faith


My journal is off limits to anyone but me ... I can't wrestle on paper if I fear what someone else might think of my wrestling. ~Nicole Johnson, from Fresh-brewed Life 


If Facebook is any indication, school started around the world. Whether public school, private school or home school, teachers prepared, parents purchased the necessary student tools and the soon-to-be-students enjoyed the last few days of summer vacation.



We have a granddaughter going to school for the first time. She had none of the reluctance of her older brothers who are long past their firsts. In fact, she asked if she could take work home the first day. She's so eager to learn.

Those of us who are students of the Bible understand her excitement. Getting to learn more about God through the Word keeps us picking up our Bibles each day. One thing I'm learning about God is that He doesn't just want to talk to us through His Word, but He wants us to respond. God knows our thoughts, but desires for us to freely share them with Him.



David tells us, Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge (Psalm 62:8). One way I pour out my heart is through journaling. 


1. Journal truths. God leads us to truths as we read the Word. Journaling them cement the truths to our soul. Rereading them later is a reminder of God's faithfulness.

2. Journal specific verses. If you read a verse that speaks to you, personalize it with your name. Pamela will trust in him at all times, Pamela will pour out her heart to him, for God is Pamela's refuge



3. Journal Scripture art. Get out your markers and make a verse into art. I'm a doodler more than an artist, but incorporating a bit of creativity while focusing brings the verse alive.

4. Journal your praise. This is more than a list of gratitude-worthy items. It's more like a love letter to God. Praising Him more for who He is instead of blessings He gives.  



5. Journal from prompts: Make a list of faith based questions and journal your answers. Search for verses that support your answers.  

  1. My passion for God is shown through my...
  2. I need to forgive...
  3. Today I have a burden for...
  4. God is speaking to me about...
  5. Forgive me, Lord, for...
  6. I'm struggling with...
  7. I need your help, Lord, with...
  8. I believe...
  9. I messed up...
  10. I was blessed today when...
  11. I need to change my attitude about...
  12. Today I will bless...









9 comments:

CoziNest Antiques & Decor said...

What a precious post! I love this. I've journaled in the past, but not in a long time. You are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Such great ideas! I need to get more creative with my daily journaling. I love the idea of quotes that speak to me and even perhaps doing a little scrapbooking on pages. Thanks for this wonderful post!

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Pam,

Journaling is such a big part of my devotions time! I love writing out verses that grab my attention or ones that I want to memorize or merely just ponder longer.

Thanks,
Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

deb said...

What an inspirational post, You've touched me. I need to follow your list. It's been hard times the last few years and I'm trying to change my thought pattern. I think this would help. Thank you sharing it.

Thanks for the visit too! and the sweet comments ♥
*hugs*deb

Heirloom treasures said...

Lovely words Pamela

Michelle said...

Thank you so much for your thoughtful suggestions.
I really need to journal.
I begin for a while then lay it aside.

Sharon said...

Wonderful and practical advice. I especially liked the idea of making a Scripture verse into art. I'm not known for my artistic talents, but I can doodle with the best of them! Gonnna have to give this a try.

And, your grandkids are just too cute! That granddaughter of yours looks like she's ready to take on the world...and win!!

GOD BLESS!

Rebecca said...

I journal :)
Those prompts are GREAT ones, Pamela.
Have you seen the ESV Bible specially made for journallng? I read about it here: http://homegrownhospitality.typepad.com/homegrown_hospitality/2014/08/bible-journaling.

Esther Asbury said...

I'm not a journal-er of private thoughts/feelings, but I love adding to my spiritual journal and my blessings journal. Thoughts, Scriptures, Quotes, Insights in one -- things I'm thankful for in the other. Every so often I read over the old entries and often find something to help me today!