Thursday, January 8, 2015

2015 Reading Plan



You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.  –Paul Sweeney


Some were recommended by family and friends, others I read about on blogs, and still others I found on my own -- but all the books on my stack make me wish for a day to do nothing but read. 



This year I decided to get back to novel reading, too. I'm shooting for twelve novels. I'm a non-fiction reader, loving to learn how to serve God better, to be a better wife, to love people better. But I have come to realize that sometimes my mind needs a rest. So some evenings I'll be picking up a novel in an attempt to stop my whirling mind.

"No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting."     --Lady M. W. Montagu

In previous years I purchased mostly Kindle books. This year I am purchasing print books so I can share them with others. Some don't like to loan their books, but I like well-worn books -- if a little wear and tear means the content has helped my family and friends.

A friend, Donna Nobles, from my writer's group published a devotional collection:14th and Central: Stop, Consider These Things. I love reading books from people I know and will continue this practice.

I also love purchasing books from blogging authors. Here are a few I've read this year.

I Never Saw a Purple Cow

Pure Eyes, Clean Heart

Bringing Home the Mission Linck

Love Idol: Letting Go of Your Need for Approval - and Seeing Yourself through God's Eyes


I cannot imagine my life without books. It makes me happy to see my girls read -- and now when I see my grandchildren with a book, wow! 

There are many little ways to enlarge your child’s world. Love of books is the best of all. –Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis


So pick up some new books and create a "stack." Choose a few from a different genre than you usually read. Schedule reading time the same way you schedule other activities. Hold the words up to the light of your beliefs. Keep the good; throw out the rest. And you'll start 2016 a better person.


Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles William Eliot




6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm hoping to finish Jan Karon's latest today! Our morning Bible study cancelled....so some extra & unexpected time! Just what I needed :)

Yesterday, I picked up two books at the library that I had requested so I have plenty to keep me busy.

Esther Asbury said...

I have a big stack of books by my chair in the bedroom - all different kinds, fiction, non-fiction, inspirational, theological, biographical, etc. Something to fit whatever "mood" I'm in! :)

Christine said...

I read a lot of fiction. As you said, it's how my brain takes a break. I held off getting a kindle because I hated not being able to share books. But, then my mom wanted one. I we gave it to her for Christmas a few years ago, so I can share with her. And my husband recently got the kindle app, so he can read from my archives, too. It makes me so happy.
Don't forget to share the titles of the books you read. I'm always looking for more!

Deanna said...

Blessings to you this new year. May you get to read all the books you have been wanting to.
d

Aritha V. said...

God bless you this newe year. Books are so special for me. I am reading now Leota's tuin. ( Leota's graden - Francine Rivers) So beautiful.

Deborah said...

I've always loved to read, but in recent years had cut way back, due to my changing eye sight. Now that I've adjusted to my glasses, maybe I can get more reading done, but I don't think I 'll reach your goal! Enjoy those books!