Sunday, April 26, 2015

Decreasing...so God can Increase


If my thoughts revolve around myself...then I know nothing of Calvary love...If I cannot in honest happiness take the second place (or twentieth)...then I know nothing of Calvary love. ~Amy Carmichael


Self-promotion or self-denial...in Leslie's words, "we can easily become preoccupied with drawing attention toward ourselves instead of humbly pointing people to Jesus Christ."

As RB's musical talent became more and more apparent, his mother's mantra was, "Keep your talent dedicated to the Lord." I find even in my writing, I need to remember these words. While my mission statement expresses, "My ultimate goal is to inspire positive change in family, colleagues and readers through verbal and nonverbal development of Christ-honoring media," I need to keep every word dedicated to God. 




Questions to ask ourselves:

1. Am I doing this for God's glory or for my own applause?

2. When people observe this part of my life, are they drawn closer to Jesus, or are they merely impressed with me?

God blessed us with our talents. Charles Spurgeon said, "There is no beauty in any of us but what our Lord has worked in us." When we take the credit, we are counterfeiting what is His. The Psalmist said, You are my Master! Every good thing I have comes from you (Psalm 16:2). When we get out of the way and acknowledge God's goodness, it is God who shines through us.

Oh, I want to let Him shine!


Laura Boggess
Beauty in His Grip Button

12 comments:

Beth said...

So true, Pamela! It's easy to lose sight of who I am doing my blogging or any ministry for--an audience of One! Thanks for your challenging questions too. I want to be someone that others see Christ in as well. May we shine His light in a dark world. Blessings to you, my friend!

Joanne Viola said...

Great questions to help keep our motivations in their right place. Glad to have stopped here from Sharing His Beauty this morning. Have a blessed week!

SuzyQ said...

Keeping our focus on Who we are wanting to be in light of Christ is sometimes difficult. I just want to hide behind Him and let Him be the One seen - not me.
Thanks again, Pam, you brought focus to my often chaotic world! Love Ya, dear friend!

Rebecca said...

Seems the older I get, the harder it is to keep my motivations sorted out! I know what I WANT them to be, but I wonder if I am a good judge of them.

Sometimes it frightens me to know that God knows my heart. Other times, I'm THANKFUL that He knows my heart.....

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed this post. I struggle with this at times. Because my physical illness took so much away I try prove I can still accomplish some things. Yet I find that all goes smoother when I put God first.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Thanks for a lovely post Pamela and for the lovely visit to my blog! Have a wonderful day today.
Julie xo

Laurie Collett said...

Amen, Pamela! May all we do be for His glory, not ours. He must increase so we must decrease. Thank you for this post that spoke so clearly to my heart, and thanks for hosting.
God bless,
Laurie

Laurie Collett said...

P.S. Pamea -- linked up with you at Playdates with God -- hope you'll stop by Saved by Grace for a visit!
God bless,
Laurie
http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/

Brenda said...

Hi Pamela,
Without God we can do nothing, and what we share with others as Christians is His beauty, not ours.
God bless

Unknown said...

What a wonderful reminder that we need to make God a priority in our daily lives. I know that sometimes I get TOO busy and then I wonder why I feel apart from the presence of God. But it is just little old me who has strayed away and gotten busy. Thanks so much for sharing your heart !!

Joy said...

A timely reminder. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I think the fact you are even worried about whether you are doing it for your glory or for HIS shows you are on the right path. :) It is hard not to get caught up in the stats that come with our online ministry, but if we are doing this for Jesus, that is all that honestly matters. Keep letting the light shine, xoxo