Thursday, July 2, 2015

Journaling Your Patriotism




And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.  
And I won't forget the men who died,who gave that right to me.

~Lee Greenwood

They are red, white, and blue, and they make me smile. I saw them first in my Melanie's cart and needed my own bouquet. I'm not sure why I love them -- could be because I just like the thought of having the colors of the USA on my table for the holiday. But I wonder if they make me smile because they remind me of my daughter. 



It was Ronald Reagan who warned, "Freedom is just one generation away from extinction." Those words came to mind as I was thinking about Melanie planning her Fourth celebrations (including huge amount of bacon and eggs). We've heard many rantings about our country in the last few weeks. But, in spite of its failings, I love the country of my birth. 

I love to see the flag waving in the breezing, its stars representing the states that make up our USA. I like the flag cakes decorated with strawberries and cool whip stripes. I'm blessed to remember my Uncle Arthur who fought for his country. And thrilled to look forward to a meal with our Jonathon's soldier brother, home on leave. 

The horses, sparkling ribbons braided in manes, prancing in parades; sparklers held in chubby hands; wreaths decked out with flags; thick slices of watermelon; hands over hearts pledging allegiance to America; spontaneous singing of The Star Spangled Banner -- it's how Americans celebrate our Independance Day.



We must preserve our love for our country for future generations. Our grandchildren and great-grandchildren need to know how we celebrate. We need to take a few moments to express our love of country and to count the blessings we have because men and women have sacrificed and are sacrificing to preserve our freedom. 

Take a few minutes from the celebrating, pick up your pen and journal your patriotism. Here are five prompts to get you started. 

1. The best thing about being an (American) is...
2. 5 things I want my grandchildren to know about the (USA):
3. Write a prayer of gratitude for our country:
4. Actions I will take to promote patriotism: 
5. My favorite 4th of July memory is...
6. My family's July 4th traditions are...


Download the journal sheet here


Linked to:




5 comments:

Terra said...

"Freedom is just one generation away from extinction", that makes me pause. I hope our country will pull itself together and embrace freedom again.

Sharon said...

Great and inspiring post, Pamela.

I remember on a family road trip in 2002, we visited the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. It was the first summer after 9/11. Lee Greenwood was there, and when he sang this song, the entire crowd spontaneously stood up, joined hands, and sang it with him. It was truly a beautiful thing. I try to remember that moment when I see our country in such turmoil. I pray that God brings a revival, and that it starts in our own hearts...

GOD BLESS!

Aritha V. said...

You are so proud on your country. I love it.

I am Dutch. We have a mixed culture. Already during the 16th century we had many immigrants from neighboring countries because of the liberal environment. However, compared to other countries we put less focus on our history (which is still pretty impressive I think - the Golden Age), our language and culture.)

And finally patriotism or nationalism reminds us of the NSB, a Dutch political party during the Second World that collaborated with the Germans.

We are not patriotic, we are liberal.

But I like to read about America and

Kim Cunningham said...

Ronnie was a wise man! Love your post and the sweet printable!

Denise said...

such a great post.