Friday, September 11, 2015

Guest Post: Revolutionize Your Prayer Life



My prayer time alone with the Lord Jesus is more important than any other thing I do each day. There in the secret place, the devil’s plans are shattered and God’s victories are won, evil is thwarted and blessings are unleashed, sicknesses are overcome and sin is denied its sway over the lives of the weak. Our God is an answering God. Lee Ann Rubsam


Some thoughts on prayer. I've changed a couple things in the past few months that have revolutionized my prayer life, so I thought I would share... in case they might help you as well.



1. I started praying out loud. This one thing has made an incredible difference for me. Now I don't always pray out loud -- just when I go to a room and shut the door to be alone with God.

Why this has helped:

It's harder to get distracted when you're talking out loud. If you stop talking, it's pretty obvious. It's also easier for me to organize my thoughts.

2. I quit using a form for prayer
Through the years I've seen and heard the acronym ACTS taught as tool to help people pray...
A- AdorationC- ConfessionT- ThanksgivingS- Supplication
Now there's nothing wrong with this order for praying. But one day I decided to just pray for whatever popped into my head and it was so freeing. God brought things to mind that I wouldn't ordinarily have prayed for. I still run down a list of prayer requests, but I don't feel tied to anything anymore. And I've discovered that after I pour out my requests to God, a feeling of overwhelming thankfulness and peace follows.
3. I started kneeling down with my eyes closed, alone, with the door shut. 
Now obviously we can pray anywhere, at any time, but again, for my dedicated prayer time, this has helped. You wouldn't think this would be such a big deal, but with four kiddos in this household, it's not always easy.
Eyes shut--putting my face in my hands or the comforter of a bed or the seat of a chair just really blocks out the world and visual distractions. 
Door Shut--it provides a physical barrier between me and the kids. I don't mind if the kids come in to ask a question, and I think it's good for them to see their mom in prayer, but they're less likely to interrupt me if they have to knock. Sometimes I'm praying about things they don't need to know about. Because I'm praying out loud, this is necessary.
4. I switched to mornings. 
For years I did my devotions at night--my mind was less busy, it was quiet, etc. But now things are a little different and I decided to make the change. This is not always easy. Sometimes it puts me behind schedule, sometimes I'm needed and I have to quit prematurely; sometimes I don't get it done if we're having to rush off, but overall I've been pleased. Occasionally I end up praying in the middle of the afternoon or evening, but I've been enjoying the morning time.


I don't know if this will benefit anyone else, but I feel like I'm on the right track with this method. Maybe it will change as my circumstances and needs develop, but it's working for now.

(Tonight I found Greg pacing while praying. I highly doubt that will ever work for me.)

A friend of mine once told me that her mom's spiritual life blossomed once she and her siblings reached the teen years. She didn't think that was an accident--and neither do I. The baby/toddler/elementary years are exhausting and time consuming. As my kids are entering the teen years, I'm already finding it to be... freeing? I don't have more time, because I'm certainly busier than ever, but it's just different somehow. I'm not nursing every two hours. I'm not constantly changing diapers. I don't have a little one in one arm--usually. I've got 13 years of parenting under my belt. And I'm not as drained emotionally. It does make a difference. And this change in my prayer life could probably be attributed to that to some degree. It's exciting!

But anyway, wherever you find yourself in life... I encourage you to pray. It really works! We've been seeing some amazing answers to prayer lately. God is working and moving and it's great to be in on that. Prayer changes people and circumstances. It alters eternal destinations. It brings peace and stress relief. Prayer is powerful.

So how do you pray? What works for you?


Heather Smith and her husband, Greg, live in Pueblo West, Colorado. They are planting a church which will be starting September 2015. Heather also homeschools their four children. Together the Smith family is seeking to love God and love others to the best of their ability.

Linked to:

12 comments:

Terra said...

I like your ideas about praying out loud. I am using Jesus Calling devotional recently, which is also helpful.

Rebecca said...

What a timely post (thinking of the inspiration of War Room)! Each person's particular "bent" and lifestyle may call for variations, but Heather's experience and practices may provide just the impetus for many of us to go to the next "level" in prayer - which is ultimately the "secret" to friendship with God!

Carol said...

Prayer is becoming more central in my life too. I agree--it is more challenging when the children are little. Sometimes I pray outlaid when I am taking a walk. Other times I may kneel down in a closed room. I want to start a prayer journal. Have a blessed weekend, Heather and Pam! I'm your neighbor at Weekend Whispers.

Denise said...

awesome post

BARBIE said...

I am a firm believer in allowing my voice to be heard in prayer. It somehow gives me the added boost I need to continue in prayer. I like also to write my prayers and pray them back to God. Also, to pray the Word of God back to God as promises. Thank you for sharing at Weekend Whispers.

HilLesha O'Nan said...

Wonderful post! I always find praying in silence works the best for me, especially when I'm alone.

Marissa Writes said...

Thank you for sharing your prayer habits. I love that prayer is so flexible for each person. It's just like any friendship/relationship, it's personal. There were times when I did prayer times early in the morning, others in the middle of the night, now I'm focusing my prayer/meditation in the afternoon.

Marissa

Reading List

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of praying aloud to keep from getting distracted. It's so easy for me to wander from prayer to my to-do list.

Marie said...

When we remember that praying is just literally speaking with our heavenly Father - honest communication as HE already knows our heart, then there really is no secret.

I do love praying verses for people, placing NAMES where appropriate. Claiming God's promises for them.

@spreadingJOY

Unknown said...

Sometimes I have to remember to pray. Today I prayed out loud in the car to focus my day on the Lord. I like to write my prayers as well in a prayer journal. It's always neat to go back and read how God has answered so many prayers!

Unknown said...

Another wonderful post. Our prayer life is such an important part of our lives but it is often one of the first areas to slip. As silly as it may sound, I actually mark prayer time down in my planner so that I remember to spend that time with God.

Melanie B. said...

I like to pray out loud too. I also find it helps me concentrate more.