Sunday, July 10, 2016

Shelter Yourself: Practicing Self-care



Self-care is never a selfish act – it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others. 

                                                                                Parker Palmer


                                                                                   

























































Self-care – what we all need, but often it’s the last on our list to be accomplished; the one item not crossed off at the end of the day. We sang as a child, “Jesus and Others and You. What a wonderful way to spell JOY.” We belted out that last sentence, “Put yourself last and spell joy.” The children’s song was meant to explain the importance of putting God first in our lives, and the unselfishness of putting others before ourselves. However, with that imprinted on our hearts, we often forget the spirit of the song and make it the law of our lives. 

My sister-in-law, Marsha, is the greatest nurturer of all time. She taught me the delight of preparing my environment. It’s my favorite self-care practice. Plumped throw pillows, a neatly folded soft throw, a cleared space, a goblet of tea, and a lit candle – and my body and soul begin to relax. Add a Bible, journal or book and the quiet evening is perfect. (Chocolate gives bonus points!)

The disciple John knew the importance of self-care. He affirmed our need to be well in body and soul when he wrote, Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul (3 John 1:2).

Here are five places to prepare your environment:

1. Prepare your environment at your reading chair:
Do you have an over-stuffed chair where you can curl up and read? Move a table close so your drink is near. Light a candle or diffuse lavender oil. Add a favorite framed photograph to the table.

2. Prepare your environment under the sun: Sunshine's Vitamin D is important to our body. Float frozen berries in your water, and go outside to God’s environment. He’s already prepared it. Watch the birds and squirrels. Enjoy the flowers and green grass. Turn your face to the sun and talk to the Father through the SON, Jesus.

3. Prepare your environment in your bedroom: Fill a vase with a bouquet of fresh flowers for your nightstand. Prop up on pillows, and cover yourself with a comforter. Line up your colored pencils or markers, and color or draw Scripture art. Write in your gratitude journal. Lean your head back and take a nap.

4. Prepare your environment in your War Room: Where do you talk to God? Sometimes when our body and soul need care, we can find both at the feet of Jesus. Add your prayer journal and a box of tissues. Sing along with worship music. 

5. Prepare your environment at a home away from home: Pack a bag, remembering your goblet, candle, and photograph of someone you love. Don’t forget your journals, books, and magazines. Book a room at a motel, or a local convent or monastery. These are quiet places – where you can unplug. 


Subscription Boxes are gaining popularity. Here are a few especially for self-care. Purchase them for yourself, or for a gift.


Self-care monthly subscription boxes:
1. Buddy Box: (UK) All the items included in the box are intended to make you feel good: helping you de-stress, find calm, feel pampered, relax, get creative, or simply have fun.
2. trösta box: trösta box is a monthly subscription box that helps you love and care for yourself better.
    3. The Bloom Beautifully Box: Each self-care box contains 4-5 self-care essentials that nurture the mind, body and soul. We've carried art journals, luxurious bath bombs, herbal tea, sleep masks, and much more in our boxes.
    4. Better Box: A monthly subscription service that delivers self-improvement experiences designed to help people live happier, healthier lives.




32 comments:

Middle-aged Diva (Carol) said...

Women, especially, fail to practice self care. And yet, it is so important to mental health. We do for everyone else first.
Carol
http://carolcassara.com/chocolate-or-vanilla/

Shannon Wallace said...

What a beautiful reminder. We as mothers and wives often overlook ourselves, but what good can we be to others if we are ragged ourselves? Thank you, Pamela. :)

Rachel Mouton said...

What a great list. It is so important to take care of ourselves. It is easy to get caught up in taking care of everyone else, but that is so counterproductive.

Mom Knows Best said...

I want to try some of these self care things. I would indulge in chocolate and soak in the tub.

Mamabear said...

I love this!! It is something I'm specifically learning right now. My morning porch time is something I've become protective of, and I truly miss it when I can't be there. It makes my day go so much better and I have more of myself to give to the ones I love.

Amy Jones said...

Amazing post. Sometimes we are so busy and stressed out with our daily lives that we forget about ourselves...this is so important

AnnMarie Brown said...

What a great post! I am very protective of my quiet time in the morning every day. It really helps set the tone for my whole day.

sistershairboutique said...

Very nice concept. As a mother sometimes I do forget just take some time out for me. I'll try many of these tips.

Unknown said...

This is a handy reminder! I am going to print these out AND make sure that I do some of these for myself! Thanks!

Unknown said...

This is such a great post.I have to try some of these tips!

Soneia said...

Self-care is important even if you're a mom, or let me rephrase that, especially when you're a mom. It's important that we are healthy enough to take care of our kids and it's good to set aside some time for ourselves as well. These are very good pointers, thank you very much!

Becca Wilson said...

Self care is absolutely important. I try to take a break from what I am doing at least once a day for self care whether it be a coffee break or just to sit back and watch a television show.

Unknown said...

This is absolutely a great post and tips, I need to save this

Cheap Is The *New* Classy said...

Many of the things you mentioned I already do to pamper myself. It really helps to relax my body and my mind.

Unknown said...

I try to have flowers in my house as often as I can. I really enjoy them and I think they are a great mood enhancer. Also, I do treat myself with chocolate from time to time. :)

Paula Keane said...

I love this article. It really is very important to look after yourself too. Something I often forget.

Sharon said...

Pamela, I just had a conversation with my husband last night about the idea of self-care. Men are at fault sometimes, too. We both talked about how it's difficult to take care of ourselves because it feels like we're then neglecting to take care of someone else.

I thought your very practical ideas here are most helpful. I especially liked the idea of preparing an environment.

GOD BLESS!

Unknown said...

Subscription boxes are certainly getting big these days. They're so popular. It's nice to get a lot of goodies in a box for a great price.

alfonzowrods said...

i love that first quote & infographic! brilliant read. saturday is usually my ME day. thanks for all the encouraging advice

Unknown said...

I love the gift basket idea! That will totally encourage a friend. I like your self-care tips!

Echo aka The Mad Mommy said...

Self care has always been hard for me, but this year I have been better about it. I promised myself that I would do more for myself and I have.

Unknown said...

I remember a time when my bestie gave a self-care gift to me. That is so wonderful!

Ana De-Jesus said...

I definitely need to learn to be more kind to myself, I am so self critical.

Liz Mays said...

I like the idea of making it a special atmosphere for what you do there. This is awesome!

Deborah said...

I loved this post! So many simple self care ideas that fit into even the busiest life! Interesting that I came here after making a post that mentions 'Me time'

CourtneyLynne said...

I'm a total self care advocate!!! If you don't take care of yourself and make yourself happy, then you can't make anything or anyone else happy!

Ashley McCardia said...

Self care is so important! I need to work on it more than I am though.

Unknown said...

These are absolutely a great post! I need to try this tips

Dhemz said...

Such a great reminder! Thanks for sharing these tips. I would love to check this out. Thanks for sharing!
www.gregdemcydias.com

Lisa notes... said...

Some people are better at self care than others, so it's good to learn from each other! Thanks for these great tips on preparing our environment. That's part of it that we may not think about, but it does make a difference.

jenjen said...

Spot on! We should always embody these reminder to ourselves everyday :)

Lori said...

These are great tips, Pamela. The candle and chocolate are at the top of my list. :) Spending time with Lord in the mornings for me really helps my day. Once we move, I'm hoping for a nice little place other than the kitchen table to spend that quite time. Thanks for sharing with Thankful Thursdays, I hope to see you again next week.