Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sheltering Your Spouse


Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.  ~Emily Brontë



Way back in 1972 I had a friend who told me she didn't think I'd ever love anyone more than my daddy.  My daddy was (is!) my hero and I measured each boy (and at 15 they WERE boys) by the yardstick of Daddy.  I proved her wrong--I found RB.  I'm not sure if I fell in love with his keyboard excellence or him first.  I was 15 when we began our 3-year courtship, 18 when I walked the aisle as his bride.
Although I married a talented musician, an artsy guy, a make-you-laugh funny boy, a romantic gentleman, his character and integrity is what keeps me in love with him. RB is the spiritual leader in our home, and his attention to honesty, kindness and compassion is unbeatable.   He's hardworking, unselfish and intelligent.

I married RB thirty-five years ago (today, in fact!) and I would do it all over again.  God's Word tells us to "...take delight in honoring each other" (Romans 12:10, TLB). 

Here are three ways I honor RB:
  •  My mother gave me the best advice: Never criticize RB in the presence of others (emphasis on never!)  It's a gift I give him.
  • Prepare his environment.  RB teaches online most evenings.  I try to make sure desk is inviting with a candle burning and fresh flowers.  I prepare a snack for his late evening munchies attack.
  • Brag on him.  Men love to hear their wife bragging on them.
Three ways RB honors me:
  • Delivers fresh iced tea each morning.  Strong, in my yellow travel mug if I am planning on being out--in one of my one-of-a-kind goblets if I will be home.
  • Lives the "in sickness and in health" portion of our vows.  Chronic pain doesn't just affect the hurting, but also those who care for them.  He's always heating corn bags, wrapping ice packs in towels, and helping with household chores.
  • Encourages my dreams and gives me opportunity to realize my desires.
How do you bless your spouse?


 RB's Favorite Snack: Ranch Crackers


Ingredients

3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 (1 ounce) package dry Ranch-style dressing mix
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (12 ounce) package oyster crackers

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, ranch-style dressing mix, dill weed, lemon pepper and garlic powder. Pour this spice mixture over the crackers in a medium bowl, and stir until the crackers are coated. Arrange the crackers on a large baking sheet.
  3. Bake in the preheated 275 degrees oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

This post was linked to

Blessed With Grace


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! You compliment each other so well! Love all your writings -- and RB's too -- "Real love stories never have endings!"
So glad you are both part of my family too!! Melodie

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam....What an admirable love story and Happy Anniversary....Your home page photo is beautiful.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower. The pressure is on now that I know you are coming back to see my mantle...
just kidding :)

Have a great day!

Lisa

Mindy said...

What a beautiful post for me to come across on my first visit to your blog! Thanks for the encouragement to love our hubbies!

I'm notorious for bragging on mine--and he's so shy that it's LOADS of fun! (don't worry, he loves it, like you said)

Happy Anniversary to you both!

I'm following you back. =) I'm enjoying reading your blog.

Gail said...

What a beautiful post and Happy Anniversary to you both. Thanks for your visit and leaving such a sweet comment about the sweater ornaments. I've enjoyed my visit and I too am following you back.

Enjoy your evening,
Gail

Esther Asbury said...

Happy Anniversary!
What a beautiful reminder that in all of our caring for others we dare not forget those closest to us!

the cape on the corner said...

what a sweet post! i love that you got yourself an "artsy" guy...i wish mine was a little more so, but what are you gonna do? i think you love who you love, even if they may not be the person you thought you'd love. eek, i hope that makes sense!

thanks so much for stopping by the cape on the corner, and for your kind comment on my turkey pillows! you're right, i do love unpacking all the things i've forgotten about!

Lili said...

Oh this was such a sweet post and Happy
Anniversary to you both! Those ranch crackers sound intriguing, I must give them a try, thanks for posting the recipe. ~Lili