Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Guest Post: Jamie Isaacs

My friend's daughter, Jamie, wrote this article and I wanted my readers to have a chance to read -- and learn -- from it.



I took Ethan to the pet store to see the baby ducks and chicks. They were in two huge storage containers -- chicks in one and ducks in the other.
 
The bright yellow ducks were so adorable and sweet looking! They just waddled around in a tight little bunch and chirped at their visitors. The chicks, on the other hand -- what a difference!  I thought something was wrong because the blood was running down one poor little chick's tail feathers, coloring his white feather crimson. I watched in horror as the other chicks pecked repeatedly at the hurt bleeding chick; they were all chirping, but the hurt chick chirped really loud with pain every time his brothers and sister would peck his wounds. I couldn't bear to watch too much, so I found the sales clerk, and reported the incident!  She told me that they pick on the bigger chicks and they have to separate the hurt chicks from the rest of the brood until their wounds heal.  She never rescued the wounded chick while I was there. I couldn't take hearing and seeing that poor little chick get pecked on by his brothers and sister -- so we left the store.
 
Later the thought came to me how much we, as Christians, are like those little chicks. We see somebody who is prettier, smarter, skinnier, has more money, has everything we want in life and we feel like life is not fair. So to compensate for our own lack of "whatever," we put them down, say hurtful things or, in chicken terms, we "peck" at them, trying to make ourselves feel better. Here is a real life example for you:
 
Jadyn looked beautiful today -- hair curled, fancy Easter dress, beautiful shoes with some rhinestones and (barely) heels; plus, she is beautiful on the inside where it matters most, but another little girl told her, "Your face is ugly!"   It hurt Jadyn's heart. I tried to explain to her, "That girl LOVES to have fancy dresses and look like a princess; she was jealous of you because you looked so beautiful, and she didn't have a beautiful princess dress nor her hair curled."
 
Sometimes, we will see our brothers or sisters in Christ going through one of the hardest times of their life. Instead of loving and praying for them, we point fingers, call names, or get angry at them for letting us down. We "peck" their open wounds with judgmental words. They need us to pray, and to love them while they are broken and bleeding.  Instead, many times we fail.  In a spiritual sense we "peck our brother and sister to death."
 
I guess as I sit here sleepless tonight my prayer is, "God, it's not for me to understand the actions of others; I didn't give my life for them -- Jesus did.  If Jesus with His wisdom and mercy forgives or  picks up one who is hurting, who am I to gossip, judge, or feel bitterness? Help me to have a burden for those that are hurting, those that have fallen, not 'peck them to death,' but to help 'pick them back up.'  Amen."

I am sure you all hope we don't get pigs anytime soon -- I might start getting Life Lessons from the Hogs!
 
 
 
I need Thee, O Lord, for a curb on my tongue; when I am tempted to making carping criticisms and cruel judgements, keep me from speaking barbed words that hurt, and in which I find perverted satisfaction. Keep me from unkind words and from unkind silences. Restrain my judgements. Make my criticisms kind, generous, and constructive. Make me sweet inside, that I may be gentle with other people, gentle in the things I say, kind in what I do. Create in me that warmth of mercy that shall enable others to find Thy strength for their weakness, Thy peace for their strife, Thy joy for their sorrow, Thy love for their hatred, Thy compassion for their weakness. In thine own strong name, I pray. Amen.    ~Peter Marshall
 
Linked to

14 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Amen! Thank you for your post. It is down to earth and thought provoking. I want to thank you for your visit too. It was lovely having you stop by! Wishing you a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Sandi

Janet said...

Wow! Very thought provoking...Thanks for posting this.

NANCY said...

Hello. I hope you're having a fantastic day. I'm following you from the I love Blogging bloghop.

Nancy

Hope you'll follow back at http://thatsoundslikecrazy.blogspot.com

Admin said...

What a wonderful post! I am very thankful for the friends that have loved me through the good and bad times! I pray that I am able to do the same and never find myself "pecking".

not accidentally tuesday said...

So enjoyed reading your daughters insightful story. Thank you for coming by and becoming a follower. Next time if you have the time, please leave a comment it would really make my day. Thanks and Blessings, Debbie

Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Beautiful post!! Thanks for sharing!!

We're hopping over from Handmade Wednesday to be your newest follower #400 to be exact! Congratulations, what a wonderful accomplishment!!

We hope you link-up with us again this week!!

Karen said...

Such a good analogy...very convicting...I hope to keep my beak to myself...and offer grace instead....

Unknown said...

Hi I am a new follower. Plz visit my blog and follow me back at http://my-2-cents.blogspot.com
Thank you

no spring chicken said...

What a sad, sad truth. Thank you for posting this thoughtful reminder.

Blessings, Debbie

Toyin O. said...

Very nice post, thanks for sharing. The pictures are also very lovely:)

noreen said...

Jamie's post is so true! We do our pecking sometimes without even realize we're sinning. Then we try to justify ourselves and spread the poison by sharing (gossiping) it too others and it's toxic!

It reminds me of the scene if The Passion where Jesus is carrying his cross and the crowd is treating Jesus horribly. Mary is following and on the other side is Satan... I think of that scene whenever I'm in a group of women and the conversation turns "unchristian-like". I work to put an end to the meanness, gossiping, and pecking. God Bless you Pamela. I hope you're feeling better!

Heather M said...

Man! What a great reminder and so true, Thanks for sharing such a beautiful post! You have a grand Landon!!! Is he a monkey like mine!! LOL!! Thanks so much for stopping by, Im a new follower!!

OrangeHeroMama said...

Thanks so much for sharing that!

And thankyou so much for stopping by my blog! i truly appreciate it! I am following back! I absolutely LOVE the design of your blog, it's beautiful!!

Kara Chupp said...

The chicks are so so SO cute! Makes me want to hatch some again! :)
My heart broke at the unkind comment...so thankful for the way you handled it.