Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Open My Eyes



Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see.
                                                                    ~
William Newton Clark   





For some reason this story just makes me want to giggle.  Ben-Hadad, king of Anon was angry -- very angry.  Stalking around the palace his eyes sparked with his anger.  "Every day I plan raids and every day my plans are foiled.  Who is the traitor in our midst?"

His officers tried to calm the king.  "It's not one of us, King.  It's a snitch in the Israelite camp, the Prophet Elisha.  He tells their king the things that are whispered in your bedroom."

Seriously, wouldn't that be fun?  Well, not for Ben-Hadad, but for Elisha who was the snitch?  Every morning God would tell him what battle plan Ben-Hadad had for the day.  Elisha would go directly to the Israelite king to share the plans.  The Aram king knew who the Prophet Elisha, was.  King Ben-Hadad's army commander, Haman, had leprosy and it was Elisha who was used of God to heal him. 

"Go find where he is," the king said.  When the men came back with the information, the king sent horses, chariots and soldiers to capture the Prophet.  They waited until nighttime, then surrounded the city of Dothan. 

When Elisha's servant looked out the window the next morning, he was beside himself.  There seemed to be soldiers everywhere.  "Oh no, what are we going to do?  I'm going out to fight."

Elisha threw his head back and laughed.  At the servant's surprised face he said, "There's more with us than be with them."  And then Elisha prayed, "Lord, open my servant's eyes to see your protection."  When the Lord opened the servant's eyes, he looked around in amazement to see horses and chariots of fire filling the hills.

There's more with us than be with them,
We're on the winning side.
Though mountains surround,
And chariots abound,
We're trusting alone in Thee.
H. Robb French

After that, the Arameans had quite a day.  To sum it up, they were blinded, taken to another city, experienced sight returned,  ate a feast in the enemy camp and were returned to their own army camp.  Here's the best part -- they left Israel's territory alone. 



Emily trying out Grandpa Kuhn's glasses.
Sometimes I just wish God would open my eyes -- especially when an issue looks like a huge mountain.  I try to work it out in my own way.  I fret, search my mind for the best solution, even try to manipulate the situation just in case God doesn't come through in time.  Where's my faith?  I know God can answer my prayers. I've had miracles in my life.  Big. Huge. Miracles.  But the next time I still whine pray, "Lord, what am I going to do?"  I want God to open my eyes so I can see His plan.  I want to see the chariots of fire on the mountain.  Instead I grope in the darkness of my unbelief.

Instead, I should be trusting -- and resting assured it's God's best plan. Trusting that whatever comes to my life God will use for His glory.  I think from now on I'll just pray that God will open the eyes of my heart. I don't have to make sure He has everything under control.  I just need to praise His plan -- before I know it.  To open my heart's eyes to see my Lord high and lifted up, shining in the light of His glory.  This will silence my fears -- and leave room for faith.   


Open the eyes of my heart, Lord.
Open the eyes of my heart.
I want to see you.
I want to see you.

To see you high and lifted up,
Shining in the light of Your glory.
Pour out your power and love,
As we sing holy, holy, holy.

Holy, holy, holy,
Holy holy, holy,
You are holy, holy, holy,
I want to see you.
Peter Baloche
Linked to:

14 comments:

KD Photography said...

Hi Pamela! I hope you're having a wonderful week! I tagged you in my post! Check it out! :)

http://lifesasweettreat.blogspot.com/2011/04/tagyoure-it.html

Unknown said...

Great post! Most of the time, I want to see God's plan. I want to see the future so that way I know why some things happen. But then it really wouldn't be faith would it?

Rebecca said...

Gary and I read this on a church sign while traveling Monday: "God has no problems. He only has plans." (something like that) Oh, for eyes to see as HE sees!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I enjoy the funny part of the Bible and always put a smiley face by it.

fondly,
Glenda

LifeBelowZero said...

Hi Miss Pamela,

If you'll send me your address, I'll send you some of those mini pumpkin seeds to try!
livingoutloud3 at gmail dot com

Life Below Zero
http://bit.ly/fQcScu

My giveaway of them is over, but I still have a few left.

LifeBelowZero said...

Really enjoyed this post...my favorite funny story
is Jonah arguing with God like they were two old ladies, then God withered his vine! LOL

Jonah 4:6 Then the LORD God provided a vine and made it grow up over Jonah to give shade for his head to ease his discomfort, and Jonah was very happy about the vine.

4:7 But at dawn the next day God provided a worm, which chewed the vine so that it withered.
(Guess he should have stopped complaining!(LOL)

Heart n Soul said...

oh I love that quote by William Clark..lovely post.

Ellen said...

Thanks for the reminder to seek God first; He already knows the answer to my problem. ~ Ellen

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Dearest Pamela,
I love that song...Open the eyes of my Heart Lord..and you told this stroy so well, it took me right into the day, and made it alive and real. So good. xx Cm

Tiffini said...

oh how my heart needed to read these words this morning. That my soul would be daring to see beyond what my eyes can see...truly! so encouraged by your sharing Him today
xo

TJ @ MeasuringFlower.com said...

Hi! Following back. Thanks for visiting my blog! By the way, if you're interested, I host a Christian blog hop called Seeking Virtue Sunday. Here's the link to them if you'd like to learn more or participate this Sunday. Thanks!
Seeking Virtue Sunday

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Oh... My heart needed this today...so much. Thank you for sharing, and blessing me!!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
no spring chicken said...

You are a story teller! I loved your rendition of what is, yes, a great summation of trusting that there's more with us than be with them. Open the eyes of my heart Lord, I want to see you...

Blessings, Debbie