Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sweeter Than Honey





How sweet the name of Jesus sounds in a believer's ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds, and drives away his fear.
                                                                             ~John Newton




Most of you have probably heard of George Beverly Shea.  He was born into the home of a minister of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Winchester, Ontario.  George's mother woke him each morning with "Singing I go, along life's road, praising the Lord, praising the Lord."   As George grew, and his father moved their family to New York and New Jersey, it became evident that George's full and resonate voice was a gift from God.


George encountered an opportunity for a job at a radio station.  He was told he could sing an occasional hymn (obviously this arrangement indicated they didn't want him to get too carried away!).  Later one evening when he sat down at the piano to practice for the Sunday service, he found a poem.  It was written in 1922 by Mrs. Rhea F. Miller.  The words spoke to his heart and an appropriate melody came easily, as did the decision about his offered job.


George Beverly Shea
by Paul Davis
I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand.

I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause;
I rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
I'd rather be true to His holy name.

He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He's sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He's all that my hungering spirit needs;
I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead.


...Than to be the king of a vast domain,
Or be held in sin's dread sway.
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

I wonder how many times George Beverly Shea sang that song.  In December of last year, The Recording Academy decided to honor him with a Lifetime Achievement Award in conjunction with the 2011 Grammy Awards.



"I was surprised to receive the call from The Recording Academy president before Christmas and am honored for the recognition," Shea said. "The music has been for God's glory."

Over his musical and ministry career spanning more than 80 years, Shea has produced over 70 albums of hymns, including nine CDs, with RCA and Word Records. He's still giving concerts near his home.  At 103 years of age, Shea still believes "Jesus is sweeter than honey from out of the comb."

 Those same words from the third verse came to me yesterday as I was listening to the Bible.  David, in Psalm 19:10 said, "The ordinances of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. More are they to be desired than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb." and again in Psalm 119:103 said, "How sweet are thy words unto my taste, yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth."

My whole wheat bread recipe calls for honey.  And my granola recipe, too.  And I love honey in my tea.  Why?  It's sweet. And so are the words of my Lord, written  in the Book of Life.   

The sweet words, "Come unto me and I will give you rest."  "As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you; abide in My love." "Whatever you ask the Father in My name, He may give it to you."  Sweet, sweet words.  Just like Jesus -- He is sweeter than the honey out of the comb! 

* * * * *

Ice Cream Topping
for a
Honey of a Guy

Do you have a friend who would "give someone the shirt off his back?"  I was raised by a man like that, worked with a man like that, and RB and I have a friend like that, too.  Actually we have more than one abundant giver friend -- a couple Marks...and Ken.  Ken isn't the kind of guy that broadcasts his gifts, either monetary or practical.  But I speak from experience when saying I've been on the receiving end of a few of them -- and I also hear how others have been the recipients of his blessings.  When I do, I say to myself, "Ken's been busy." 

A couple years ago when Ken's son was in Greece he brought me (and his parents) a jar of nuts covered in honey.  I know how much Ken enjoyed the treat, so when I saw this recipe on Martha Stewart's website I wanted to try it for him.  And of course we all know that behind every great man stands an even greater woman [insert giggle] -- I included the bee plug-in from Bath and Body Works for his wife.  The bee bandana came from Hobby Lobby. 

Do any of the rest of you stock up at Bath and Body Works' clearance sales?  I'd love to hear creative ideas of what you do with your "loot." 


Ingredients

1/2 cup walnut halves 
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup dried apricots cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup good-quality honey

Directions

  1. Stir together nuts and fruit; transfer to a 6-ounce jar. Top with honey.
  2. Topping can be refrigerated in jar up to 1 month; to serve, bring to room temperature.
Linked to:




 

26 comments:

Trisha said...

I love that honey is a substance that takes time and just the right amount of "magic" to become what it is meant to be. I think life is just like honey in a lot of ways. I am going to have to try your recipe, I think my husband would love it! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

~Trisha

Anonymous said...

See, here I was thinking this was going to be a post tied into the meaning of your beautiful name!

(Have I told you lately I love your blog?)

no spring chicken said...

So many times the Word references honey. The sweetest thing I know. Always reminding us that the Word is DESIRABLE. Not just desirable but sweet!
Thank you for the history on George Beverly Shea. I didn't know any of this. What an outstanding testimony.
I will definitely file your sweet recipe too. Something that I know my dad will enjoy. My father in law too for that matter!

Blessings, Debbie

Rebecca said...

I can't remember NOT "loving" the voice and ministry of George Beverly Shea. And THIS song is one of my favorites. I just associate it with him.

Jesus IS sweeter as the years go by...richer, fuller, deeper, Jesus' love is sweeter...sweeter as the years go by.

Bernie said...

That sounds like a yummy recipe. Thank you for sharing.

Krissy said...

I am your newest follower from the weekend blog hops! Hopefully, you can visit us and follow back! Have a great day!

Krissy @ Mommy Miscellaneous

Saleslady371 said...

Wow, it's like Christmas here on your blog, Pamela. I love Bath & Body and found no equal so when it's on sale, I'm a fan. I'm going to try your recipe soon! Thank you for sharing. Love honey, Jesus and friends!

Bless you,
Mary

Esther Joy said...

I grew uplistening to Geo Bev Shea and enjoyed learning more about him. I'm also a honey fan, granola fan, and Bath and Body fan! What I don't use myself, I usually give away as gifts.

MTJ said...

Hi Pamela,

I remember listening to an interview of Andrae's Crouch and he spoke of George Beverly Shea. I imagine he has influenced, inspired, and encouraged the musical careers of so many.

Blessings and peace.

MTJ

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This words to this song are beautiful.Thank-you for sharing this recipe for the topping.
Blessings,
Ginger

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Pam, I have a funny story for you. (I should blog this sometime.) My friend grew up as an mk in Taiwan and her daddy always planned the Billy Graham crusades for that country. So she and her friends grew up "playing Billy Graham Crusade." One would be Billy Graham, one George Beverly Shay, one Tedd Smith and the little sister always had to play THE SINNER.

Hilarious, eh?

Fondly,
Glenda

Michelle DeRusha said...

I've never heard of George Beverly Shea until tonight, so I am grateful to you for introducing me to him here!

Marsha Young said...

G.B. Shea - I remember listening to him when I was a teenager.

His voice reminds me of the verse "There is a balm in Gilead, that heals the wounded soul...".

Renee said...

Love the story about GBS. What a great man of God!

Karen said...

I enjoyed your post about Bev Shea. So many wonderful songs he sang over the years! What a testimony for Christ.

stephanie said...

Loved this story!!! and I too love me some honey, especially when it is in the form of sweet words from Jesus!

Lily Dawn said...

Great, great story! thank you for sharing this :) I love honey, use it on everything (especially with peanut butter)

Hope you are having a good week!

Lily

Anonymous said...

I love that old hymn :-)

Thanks for posting!

~Val

Tiffini said...

I always love the way you relate God's word to food...and that the Bible likens God's word to honey!
xo

Unknown said...

I'm in the OT now and have repeatedly read the Promised Land described as the "land of milk and honey." I feel that this is so key to God's character -- He desires to give us such good things.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela, what a sweet and wonderful post :>)

I enjoyed reading about Mr. Shea, and I think that your pretty gift of honey covered nuts is something that I can manage to make.

Hope that you will have a blessed day,

Kathy M.

Katharine said...

I'm not sure why but I didn't know GBS was still living...He was my mom's favorite! Thanks for a wonderful post!

Gaby said...

Love the hymn. Will have to try the recipe; it sounds amazing!

Esther Asbury said...

Anther beautifully creative gift --- and yet simple enough that any of us could do it!!! I'm so glad you started this blog --- not only has it encouraged me spiritually, it's given me a hosts of fun gift ideas!
BTW -- I have a sister-in-law that reads it as well, and she enjoys it as much as I do!

Charlotte said...

That song is one of my favorites. My hubby and I sing a lot in the house - in the car - wherever. This is one we sometimes sing. GBS has such an incredible voice.
Thank you for sharing this information about him.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Renee said...

I love your thoughts on honey and sharing George Beverly Shea's honor here. Great story. Such a beautiful blog, Pamela...God bless.