Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Artistic Mother



Beauty does not exist to be ignored, rather it is a reflection of the soul that invites our participation.                           ~Linda Saccoccio 




There are so many things I could say about my mother.  I could tell you about her gentle voice whispering, "Bless your baby heart" when I was sick. (I heard those words during my last illness.)  I could tell you how I loved racing her to the door when Daddy came home to see who got the first kiss.  I could tell you how passionate she was about Christian Education (she always said she'd take me piggyback if she had to). Or how she was always waiting when we came home from school.  I could tell you I never once questioned her relationship with God, because it shined through every part of her life.

Mom and I -- 17 years younger!
But as I was thinking about this post, the thing that kept coming to mind was her love of beauty.  I don't think we ever used anything ugly --  whether it was an ironing board cover or a pencil.  Why use something ugly when you could just as easily use the beautiful.

From my earliest years I realized my mother epitomized a Sheltering Tree -- always creating and giving to others.  But each gift for others, whether a homemade cinnamon roll or a bouquet of flowers, had a beautiful ribbon tied around it.  The quote by Vincent van Gogh -- I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people -- describes my mother perfectly.

My mother (with Mary Ann Clark) is standing on the left.

Her artistic gene was evident in everything she did, whether sewing dresses for me or making scrapbooks long before it became a fad. Throughout the years my mother tried about every medium available to her.  Classes for oil painting, water colors, drawing, homemade paper, ceramics and china painting -- Mom enjoyed every project, and I quickly learned to admire them all.  None of my friends' mothers appreciated and created beauty with the same intensity as my mother, and I was so proud of her.


I remember a picture Mom colored with me -- a simple picture of a skater.  She colored the girl's outfit red, then shined it with a tissue.  The white fur was finished the same way.  I would love to have that picture, but the one in my mind's eyes is very clear. Mom could transform a coloring book into an artistically flavored coffee table book!

She always supplied me with craft projects, making each trip to the craft store such fun.  We found projects were more fun when we were both enjoying the same one.  We wove baskets together, cross stitched, and experimented with a myriad of creative ideas.

Today she spends her creative time designing beautiful cards like the one she made to congratulate Emily for her regional convention successes.  Just this week my aunt spent time with her to make cards.  She still shelters others and all her thoughtful gifts are still tied with a ribbon.

My mother brought beauty into my life, not only through the artistic gift given by God, but by creative parenting, home decorating and a lifetime of sheltering.  Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."  My mother found beauty and carries it with her.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom.  I love you.





26 comments:

Anonymous said...

PAM! That's MY mom! Love her so much - but you say it better! melodie

Veronica Lee said...

Happy Mother's Day to you and yours!

Karen said...

A very happy Mother's Day to you, Pam

Rebecca said...

Clearly, she passed down the creative, caring, loving gene to you! God bless you today and all whose lives you touch.

Happy Mother's Day, Pamela.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Such a lovely post, Pamela, about your creative, beauty loving mom. It is a trait that honors our creative beauty loving God, so much. My mom was creative, too. How I wish every child had a mom like yours and mine.

Fondly,
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Your mom is such a sweet and beautiful lady, but I never knew of her many talents. You are blessed! Thanks for sharing!! ~~marilyn

Esther Asbury said...

No wonder you turned out so talented! Not only do you make beautiful things, but you write beautifully as well.
I think the above quote (I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people) is my favorite one yet! How very, very true!

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother! I just love your blog. Hope you have had a Happy Mother's Day!

Judy said...

Very beautiful post. Have a Happy Mother's Day!

michelle said...

what a sweet tribute to your mom. Happy Mother's Day!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Your mom is very talented, what a blessing to be able to tell her Happy Mothers day.
God Bless,
Ginger

Saleslady371 said...

I love this post, Pamela. You are your Mother's daughter and so talented, too. Happy Day to you.

Amrita said...

Beautiful post and pictures. Happy Mother 's Day

Joan Hall said...

How blessed you are to have a mother like her.

I hope you had a Happy Mother's Day.

Blessings,
Joan

Janis Van Keuren said...

Pamela, how blessed you are to have your Mom still with you! And the two of you look so much alike. What a precious gift.
Your Mom sounds so wonderful and full of joy. Her art work that you featured is beautiful, too!

Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us.

Happy Mother's Day,

Janis

Anita Johnson said...

Happy Mother's day to you and you mom...talent must run in your family!

Gayle said...

Oh, how wonderful that she created a beautiful environment for you. One of the things I too hope to pass on.

no spring chicken said...

After your beautiful tribute I love your mother too!

Blessings, Debbie

aspiritofsimplicity said...

What a beautiful and loving tribute to your mother.

Anonymous said...

What a heart warming a lovely blog. I'm happy to be connected. Mother-daughter blessings to you!

Renee
Http://Renee-joyjourney.blogspot.com

Breathing In Grace said...

What precious words for you Mom!!! HOPE you had a wonderful Mother's Day, too!

~Niki~ said...

so glad I just found your sweet blog~I'm having 2 giveaways now and very few have signed up. Wanted to let you know about them!
butternut street

Karen said...

Such a talented and special woman...hoping she and her daughter enjoyed a marvelous Mother's Day!

Cathy said...

A beautiful tribute to your Mother ~ That is a sweet picture of you two. I agree with Karen, she is special and talented. Blessings ~

noreen said...

Your mother sounds lovely Pamela. What a nice tribute to her.

Charlotte said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. You are so blessed to have a mother like that. How much better this world would be if there were more mothers like yours. Thank you for sharing your memories.
Blessings,
Charlotte