Friday, May 6, 2011

Women of Influence



Mentoring is relational interaction in which one person empowers another by sharing their God-given wisdom, experience, and habits of obedience to God's word.  ~Rachel Olsen




 Hands down, my mother was -- and is-- the biggest influence on my life.  However, since it's not yet Mother's Day, I want to celebrate some of the other women who have mentored me throughout the years.  In Titus 2:3-5 Paul tells us, These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children,  to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God. Having a mentor empowered me to be all God planned for us to be. 


At 18 I went from my childhood home to marriage and living on a college campus.  Life changed for me in a hurry.  Those were the days before free cell phone minutes so calling my mother every time I had a question was out.  The wife of the college president, Marlene Beers, became my mentor and continues to this day.  She taught me the practical in the form of recipes and household hints.  She was there when the college quartet sang at a tiny West Virginia camp that provided two dorms: a men's dorm and a women's dorm.  As a new bride I would have preferred to be with my husband but Marlene made it fun.  She was always there to pray with me, share insights into Scriptures and encourage obedience to God even in the small things.

I suggest Transforming Together
by Ele Parrott
And oh, how we laughed.  Marlene has an contageous laugh.  Throughout my seven years of infertility, her exemplary teaching about mothering proved invaluable.  She also taught me how to honor and respect RB, again by example.

From Ohio, we moved to Indiana where another mentor entered my life.  Janet was our senior pastor's wife and soon became a dear friend.  I cannot begin to tell all I learned from her.  We laughed, we cried, and she helped birth my babies.  She also ate pounds of potatoes with me in the weeks after Sarah died. 

Decorating, entertaining and cooking together...walking the track, shopping and road trips were all filled with non-stop talking and a chance for me to learn from someone who walked my path.

There were others throughout the years who touched my life -- Wanda Moser, Grandma Arnold, Granny Golden, Marcile Lane -- all mentored me in some way. 

Being a mentor doesn't require training or perfection.  You don't have to hit the perfect age or have a PhD.  You must, however, love people and have a heart for God.  That's all. 

Follow these Biblical examples to become a mentor:

1.  Be an example.  Hannah has quite a story.  First she endured the "nanny-nanny" of Penniah, her husband's other wife, because of her infertility.  Then she was accused by the Priest of being drunk.  But when God blessed her with a son, she turned around and gave him back to God, keeping the vow she had made to God.  Be free with your story.  If you experienced someone hurting you, share your feelings.  Was it hard for you to see your child leave home to prepare for ministry?  Be honest. Were you accused of something you didn't do? Share the pain.  Authentic mentoring means telling your story.

2.  Share a Bible Study.  Lazarus' sister, Mary, loved learning from Jesus.  My guess is that she shared her new-found knowledge with others.  Help develop Godliness by studying the Bible together.  Show how to apply the Scriptures to everyday life.

3.  Minister together.  Dorcas used her needle to minister to others.  Teach a younger woman a craft such as sewing, knitting or crochet, quilting or flower arranging.  Then use the skill together to minister to others.  Crochet or knit a prayer shawl, arrange flowers for the elderly in care homes.  Make a quilt to give to a homeless shelter or a baby blanket for a pregnancy care center.

4.  Plan times for listening. In the course of grieving for her husband and son, Naomi still had time to listen to Ruth's sadness.  She told her so much about her God that Ruth chose to make Naomi's God, her own God.  Meet at the coffee shop for a latte.  Walk together.  As you listen to the young woman's heart, you will be able to share your God.

5.  Use life-lessons to teach.  Abigail sheltered through hospitality, packing a big picnic lunch for David and his soldiers even though her husband refused to share.  Moses' mother sheltered through mindful parenting, saving him for leadership.  The widow lady who made Elijah a cake sheltered through cooking.

 "A lot of people have gone further than they thought they could because someone else thought they could (unknown).  Ask God to guide you in the area of mentoring.  Keep your heart tender and open.  Mentoring is  a Biblical command -- a beautiful way to shelter.


* * * * *

Has there been someone who has mentored you?  Why not give them a small gift this Mother's Day?  Here's an easy gift idea -- I haven't found anyone yet who didn't like this mix.


5 c. Rice or Corn Chex
3 c. Cheerios
2 c. stick pretzels
2 c. pecan halves
2 c. marshmallows
12 oz. chocolate chips
1 lb. white chocolate

  
Stir first six ingredients together, melt white chocolate and pour over dry ingredients. Stir to coat. Pour out on wax paper to dry.

I made the cone from one 12" x 12" piece of scrapbook paper, rolled into a cone and glued.  After I filled it with the mix I covered it with cellophane and tied a bow around it. 

For another idea to fill your cone check out Homespun With Love.  Kristin punched holes on the side and made a ribbon handle.  Livy from A Field Journal made these musical cones.  Wouldn't they be perfect for a music recital?  Here's an idea from Save-On-Crafts, and I can't wait to try these smaller ones from Split Coast StampersFamily Crafts has an idea a child can make -- check out the flowers they fill them with.  My kind of flowers! 



I'm sure you can come up with others throughout web-land.  If you have other ideas of what to fill the cones with I'd love for you to share them.  I'm getting addicted to this packaging!

Linking to





19 comments:

Rebecca said...

I enjoyed hearing about your mentors and have taken not of your suggestions for mentoring. (I am currently in 2 sort of "intentional" mentoring relationships with two young women.) I feel that in some ways I lacked this myself - although in the earliest years of our marriage I lived near my grandmother who was most definitely a huge influence in my life.

I'm going to see if I can find that book at our public library. Thanks for the tips!

Happy Mother's Day, Pamela.

janene said...

Neat blog. . . Precious about mom! Sharing with her. . . Luv u.

Cindy Bultema said...

Thanks for the mentoring tips, and the wonderful recipe. I'm glad I saw it before Sunday ~ I love your idea of making it for some of the special women in my life. THANK YOU for sharing!
Warmly,
Cindy :)

HeARTworks said...

What a great idea about the cone! And what timely advice about mentoring. Just this morning my godchild came over for some "creative pursuits" but we ended up having a heart to heart. It's great to be able to share whatever wisdom we've learned with a younger person who is so open. Patsy from
HeARTworks

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I too have been blessed with mentors through the years...I seem to enjoy a mentor type relationship even from blogs, like yours, which encourages me in my walk.

Wonderful post and wonderful nudge to go out and allow God to work through us.

Happy Mother's Day

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela,

Thank you for highlighting the special women in your life, and about mentoring. My friend Lisa just began her own blog, and talks about mentoring too, but with a little different focus. I think that you two would really like each other. Here is her blog, when you get a chance: http://www.bigyellowricrac.com/

Happy Mother's Day,

Kathy M.

INSIDE THE SHRINK said...

I think it is a wonderful thing to give attention to the different mentors in your life. Oh how I could go on and on with the lovely women who helped to shape me into the woman I am. Great post and Happy Mother's Day, Dr. Bobbi

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela, What a great post! I love the recipe and idea of sharing. I hope you have a blessed weekend. Love your header picture - just beautiful.

Renee said...

I enjoyed hearing about your mentors Pamela..it gave me pause to think about my own over the many years of my life. Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

michelle said...

Happy Mother's Day!

no spring chicken said...

What truth! Mothering is something that older women are called to, whether we have children of our own or not. Wonderful of you to remind us to honor these women in our lives, and to encourage us to be these women! I can safely say that you are certainly following this mandate with your blog. You always encourage me and I know you are a blessing to the younger women who read it.

And thank you for the beautiful gift idea. Even if I don't use this tomorrow I will use it in the future.

Happy Mother's Day, Debbie

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I, too, had many lovely mentors in my life.

Ele is a friend of mine and I strongly recommend her book as well. It is very practical.

Fondly,
Glenda

Unknown said...

Thanks for your sweet comment! My team and I leave Wednesday! Please be praying for the work the Lord has us doing in another country!

Peace,
Tina

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed your posting, and the blessings and help you received from Sis. Beers and Sankey.
What special ladies.
Happy Mother's Day to you!
Marilyn, Dom.Rep.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

What a sweet idea for a gift, the paper is beautiful.
God Bless,
Ginger

Charlotte said...

How nice you paid tribute to other women in your life who influenced you. I've had many people like that as well. And how I wish the cell phones with unlimited time had been available when my mother was alive. Just missed it by a few years.
Hope you had a Happy Mother's Day.
Charlotte

betty-NZ said...

Great recipe!

Transforming Together said...

Great blog, Pamela!! You're a friend of Glenda Childers, aren't you?!! :) Wonderful!!
Love to you, Ele, "Transforming Together."

Philip Verghese 'Ariel' said...

Hi Nice to meet you,
Very beautifully done blog with lot of valuable and encouraging information and ha! at the end with a delicious treat. Lovely and Yummy!!! too.
Would like to visit again.
Thanks for sharing
Best regards
Philip