Thursday, February 23, 2012

I Think You're Amazing

Praise lies upon a higher plain than thanksgiving. When I give thanks, my thoughts still circle around myself to some extent. But in praise my soul ascends to self-forgetting adoration, seeing and praising only the majesty and power of God, His grace and redemption. ~Ole Kristian O. Hallesby

My oldest grandson, Ethan, was visiting last week.  "Mawmaw, I think you're amazing."  Any grandmother knows the joy my heart felt.  "All those things you sewed for Morgan --- that's amazing," he said.

So this Mawmaw took a trip to the fabric store.  One pattern and two yards of fabric later, she had a plan.  The cream fabric had cowboy boots all over it, just perfect for a couple of young cowboys.  After all, even cowboys have to sleep.

As I filled the bobbin and threaded the machine, I thought how Ethan's praise made me feel and was reminded of a quote from Aimee Semple McPherson:

Lift up your heads, ye people, 
lift up your faces, too,
Open your mouths to sing His praise,
and the rain will fall on you.

Just as Ethan's praise caused me to take time to make him jammie pants, so my praise of God causes blessings to rain on me.

Yahweh Roi, You are my Shepherd -- leading me back to You when I stray, restoring my soul.
Yahweh Shalom, You are my peace giver -- calming my heart even in the midst of turmoil.
Yahweh Yireh, You are my provider -- supplying all my needs.
Rabbouni, You are my Teacher -- teaching me to follow You with all my soul.
Machseh, You are my Refuge -- strengthening me when life is hard.
Go'el, You are my Redeemer -- giving me life instead of death.
Esh Oklah, You are my Consuming Fire -- refining and purifying me. 


As I praise my amazing God, joy rains from the throne in the Heavenlies.  

I love you, Lord, and I lift my voice,
To worship you, Oh my soul rejoice!
Take joy, my King, in what You hear,
May it be a sweet, sweet sound, in Your ear.

Gentle at first, a drop, then another.  Then the rain comes as a deluge, soaking my soul with the blessings which can come only from my Heavenly Father.  I raise my face toward the sky and bask in His presence, as undeserved blessings wash over me.  And once again I tell my Abba, "You are amazing!"


Linked to:

25 comments:

Rebecca said...

You ARE amazing, Pamela! Those P.J.s (as we call them) are really "cool"!

And what a lesson you communicate here. Our Father is Amazing. All those things He's done!!!!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Amazing, indeed, Pamela.

Fondly,
Glenda

SuzyQ said...

You are a reflection of our Abba, my dear Friend. Thank you for all these blessings you bestow on others, and record for our enjoyment.
This, and You, are Amazing!
Sue

Carla said...

Thanks, Pam, for this post! I needed it.

Glenda said...

Beautiful, nourishing words!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Oh, what another wonderful post. They boys look so cute in their new jammies.

Praise takes the power out of the darkness. When disaster strikes, if we can somehow praise God for his great things, it counteracts some of the issue.

I love the last song that you posted so much.

God bless,
Kathy M.

Stephanie Lynn Burley said...

Oh my goodness, how that must have melted Mawmaw's heart! Love to hear sweet words like those come from the mouths of little guys!

Vicki said...

Hello, Pamela, and thank you for this beautiful, thoughtful post! I know your grandsons loved their pajamas. I admire people who are able to sew. I never quite got the hang of it, but my mother sewed everything I wore when I was growing up. I can still see her at her Singer sewing up a storm for our whole family. I hope you have the best of weekends, my friend~ Vicki

Anonymous said...

Cute grand kids! Isn't it wonderful when God speaks to us through the ordinary? Beautiful post.

HeARTworks said...

Yes I do believe that praising God opens up the doors of blessing! And how blessed those boys are to have you as grandma! I remember when my son was little, he got a bit obsessed with batman after a trip to universal Studios. My mom sewed him a cape and he kept wearing that cape! Than k god for grandmas!!! Patsy from
HeARTworks

My Mad World said...

Wonderful post Pamela! Love it! Those pj bottoms are just too cute! Don't you love it when they praise you!?!

And we know He loves it when we praise Him for all He does, big and small!!

Many blessings to you!!

Whidbey Woman said...

Such an uplifting post! We love because He first loved us, with such amazing love... Have a blessed Spiritual Sunday!

Doniene said...

Pamela, super cute jammies!! and cute grandsons, too!!

Such words of encouragement!! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings

Nikki (Sarah) said...

beautiful and `amazing`

Deborah said...

All Amazing!
Thank you for the names.
Beautiful.
Hugs, Deborah

P.S. Darling grandsons, too. :o)

Joan Davis (Jo) said...

What a sweet blessing to have the praise of your grandson! And what a gift you gave in return! You are so right...it is the same with God. When our attitude turns to praise, we can't help but see and feel the blessings that He pours out!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Pamela!

The ultimate acknowledgement! What a darling!

How beautiful to sew for them and they to know how special it is!! A blessing and a joy!

Thank-you for allowing the creator to create through you!

love, Kelee

Esther Asbury said...

Yes, HE truly is amazing -- my heart is full of praise for His raining on me!
BTW -- I think you're an amazing grandma too!

Esther Asbury said...

Oh, and those are some extra cute jammies you made!

Ruth said...

Out of the mouth of babes is strength ordained! The strength to make room in your schedule to create a gift. Praise gives us energy to give back, to do more not because we feel obligated but because our hearts long to respond. A great picture of how our Father responds to us and a great list of His names and actions towards us. Thanks you for sharing your creativity again.
Blessings.

Sharon said...

Simply beautiful, Pamela.

Our pastor is doing a series on the theme of worship. And yes, when you really stop and think about all God is and does - we can do nothing less than drop to our knees and tell our dear Abba, "YOU are amazing!"

Adorable cowboy pants - I'm kinda partial to that Western theme, you know!

GOD BLESS!

Esther Joy said...

Loved the "jammies". My grandson thinks I can do anything, and I whipped up some jammies for him one day, but they weren't as cool as yours!

Also liked the quote at the beginning by Ole Kristian O. Hallesby, differentiating between praise and thanksgiving.

Lisa said...

The jammies are super cute, my friend, as are those blessed grandsons of yours. :) Pamela, the quote at the top of your post really hit home with me this morning. I've been reading "one thousand gifts" and thinking, "Thanksgiving, yes, but there's oh-so-much-more..." Praise. Yes. It is all of God! Praise (and thanks!!) be to HIM. :)

Blessings,

~Lisa

Charlotte said...

What a beautiful post. We all like to be appreciated. Your grandson has probably also learned that praise brings more blessings. I think it probably works that way with God too. The more we praise Him for what He has done for us the more blessings we will receive.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Just Be Real said...

((((Pamela))))