Tuesday, February 19, 2013

God's Angels and Sharing the Shelter


Angels descending, bring from above,
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
~Fanny J. Crosby

God's Angels
I don't think you ever forget the moment you sell your first book.  All the ones afterward pale in comparison.  In 1995 I sent "God's Angels" to one publishing company and found a rejection letter in my mailbox.  I sent it out again and the owner of the publishing company called. My heart was pounding and I could hardly concentrate on his words.  I did get the gist of it, though -- "we want your book and would you write three more to make a series?" 

Not only was I excited about the sell, but I was excited about getting the book's message to children around the world. The book was born out of a Vacation Bible School program I had written -- An Angel for Me.  It seemed like every magazine I picked up and many books I read were about angels. God was left out, while the angel received all the glory for miracles, protection or provision. 

The source of Truth, God's Word, tells us that the angels only move at the command of God. Praise the Lord, you angels, you mighty ones who carry out his plans, listening for each of his commands. Yes, praise the Lord, you armies of angels who serve him and do his will (Psalm 103:20-21).


This week when I found an angel wing shell on the beach, I was reminded of God's faithfulness and His love for me. When an angel is looking out for me, it's because of God's deep love.  The angels only move as God commands. They protect (Daniel in the lions den), minister (Jesus after His confrontation with Satan), and show us mercy through God's plan (Peter released from jail).

With those tiny wings, washed up on the pure white sands of the Gulf shore, God reminded me once again that He loves and cares for me.  He cares enough to remind me He's commanding angels to protect, minister, offer mercy, and guide. Today I feel the breeze from the wings of an angel.  I feel its breath in my face as he whispers, "Yes, God." I feel the angel's encouraging hand on my back, urging me forward in mercy and into God's continued plan for my life. 

The cool breeze whips around me, but the sun is warm on my bowed head as I thank God. With Fanny Crosby, beloved songwriter, I sing, "Angels descending, bring from above, echoes of mercy, whispers of love."  In my heart I hear the rising crescendo of her chorus...

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song.
Praising my Savior, all the day long. 
(Fanny Crosby - 1820-1915)

* * * * *
Sharing the Shelter

Link up your sheltering ideas -- a recipe, craft or sewing project, a blog post sure to encourage or teach, or another sheltering idea you'd like to share? Link up and enjoy the ideas. Use them to go shelter!


22 comments:

Beth said...

A beautiful post!

Meghan Carver said...

Congratulations, Pamela!

J said...

I am thrilled for you! This could not have happened to a nicer person! You bring so much peace and comfort to your readers. I will buy your book.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Sounds like teaching that is so important today.

When Dave and I got married, a friend gave us a little angel for our Christmas tree. She included a little note saying that our guardian angels were happy we were getting married, as they were enjoy being together, too.

Not theologically sound, but sweet.

Fondly,
Glenda

Connie Nelson said...

Wow you sold your book! That is wonderful, I like your books subject too. A beautiful post today. Thanks for hosting.

Janet said...

I am using this book in my little girls SS class right now! :)

Denise said...

You are such a creative, beautiful, talented blessing.

Brandee Shafer said...

Congratulations on your success, and may God bless others with your inspired words. Pleased to link up with you for the very first time. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! - and what a beautiful reminder of the source of these angels that watch over us - beautiful!

Sharon said...

Pamela, this was a beautiful post! It was so uplifting. I have often wondered what the angels think about how people sometimes give them "all the credit" - I think they would be dismayed. Their mission, their worship is all about God, as you so wisely pointed out. Great message.

And oh my, your first published book! That is SO very exciting! Congratulations! And I can hardly wait to see what else God has in store for you - this is just the first door opening!

GOD BLESS!

Denise said...

I love this Pamela; angels sent from God. I think it happens all the time; more often than we realize. I'm a firm believer that God is always putting people into our lives to help direct us and get us through lonely, tough, and difficult times...to protect and encourage us!

I am excited for your news and wish you blessings and success on your new book!
Denise

Elizabethd said...

Oh how wonderful! Congratulations on your book. Just think how many will be blessed by your words.

Courtney said...

I'm so glad you put that beautiful song in my head today!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

I remember that time, when Angels were getting credit for everything and were worshiped themselves. It is funny how things come and go, but return to the word until the next new fad shows up.

What a beautiful post, Pamela, and what a great idea to build a series of books on! Thanks so much for hosting Share the Shelter too.

Kathy M.

Barb Camp/ Second Chance to Dream said...

Thanks so much the invite to link up my Fear is a Liar post. Have a GREAT day!
Barb
www.secondchancetodream.com

Laurie Collett said...

Congratulation on this wonderful, well-deserved news! Praise God for His angels -- I am convinced that angels saved my life, my son's life, and my husband's life on separate occasions! Thanks for the great post & for hosting, & God bless!

Vicki Boster said...

Hi Pamela- what a beautiful blog you have created to share with us all- a place of sharing and peace-- congrats on your series of books- I'm going shopping to look for it!!

It's so wonderful to meet you- thank you for stopping by and leaving a little comment this morning--

Xoxo
Vicki

Farm School Marm said...

What a lovely post! (Thank you for commenting on my blog about the widows in Zambia. I will be sending you a snail mail packet!)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Congratulations on the book deal; that's fabulous! I believe God allows His angels to watch over us; I've prayed to God for His angel care, especially when traveling. God wants to hear more from me...us... and is always interested in our lives. "Cast your cares upon Him..."

Deanna said...

Pamela, That had to have been a thrill!
I pray the day comes that I get my first book published.

God bless,
d

Annesphamily said...

You have a beautiful heart Pamela! So kind and creative and always so thoughtful with your posts. Thank you for sharing with us. Blessings, Anne

Judith said...

Your writing is so uplifting, Pamela,and I am always blessed when I stop by. I love the hymns you shared in your last two posts.