Thursday, June 13, 2013

Wisdom in the Tea Leaves


Life is like a cup of tea -- it's all in how you make it.

It was blueberry, and he brought it to me in a favorite cup from a tea-loving friend. The amber liquid promised comfort while his blue eyes promised love. Honey-sweetened to perfection, I breathed in the aroma and pondered life. How often we need the comfort of tea even in the ordinariness of our days; how often we miss the love in the eyes of others because we're too busy to notice.

Some say there is wisdom in our tea leaves. I would suggest that the wisdom is in pausing. When we drink tea, there's the beauty in the china, comforting warmth as our hands cradle the teacup, and fond memories woven in the ritual.

My last tea party included fresh strawberry pie and the celebration of  the new, holding the promise of a joyful future. But my tea celebrations didn't start there. There's an old black and white picture of my sister and me, sitting outside at our little red table, babushkas tied under our chin, enjoying the tea party my mother served us.

There are other memories -- a gift from my mother of Alexandra Stoddard's book, "Tea Celebrations;" choosing a teapot at The Butterfly House in Cape May while vacationing with my sister; tea at the Ruby Pear; tasting the various teas at my friend, Lorna's, Christmas tea; tea tasting at Teavana with friends, and recently, meeting new friends over a teacup.



My friend, Sue, sheltered me recently with a beautiful gift basket.  A new teapot, teas and a butterfly light -- all nestled in a basket with tulle, flowers and a beautiful scarf she crocheted for me.


Thank you, Sue!

There's wisdom in my ponderings. I've found that tea shared blesses, while solitary tea is just as important in its pausing. Like the importance of shared worship -- we need the blessings received as we worship together. Yet our time alone with God is just as important -- we need the pausing. In it we find comfort, and see the love in our Father's eyes.

Brew a cup and ponder in the ritual. 







16 comments:

Denise said...

What a lovely, heartwarming post! Enjoy your tea my friend; you deserve the pleasure it brings to you as your writing brings to so many readers! :)

Blessings and love,
Denise

Esther Asbury said...

Lovely gift!
I've been enjoying the pause alone the most of late -- maybe because I've not had an overabundance of quiet/alone time for quite some time now.

Rebecca said...

I like everything related to "tea" - just not tea itself :)

What beautiful teapots, occasions and memories you have to associate with the flavor that brings you so much pleasure, Pamela...God bless you & all with whom you share.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful post, Pamela, and your photos are lovely :) Thank you for sharing and have a great weekend.

Hugs to you!

Ceil said...

It really is the simple things; like a cup of tea that help soothe and bring us refreshment.

Have a great weekend!

Peace in Christ,
Ceil

Lynda said...

You would get along really well with a couple of my friends who are kindred spirits with you regarding the tea-drinking and the beautiful dishes. They love tea and tea parties. I am one of the few on the planet who does not like tea - - - never have - - and then was strongly encouraged to drink it when I was sick with a high fever. That pretty much sealed my dislike of its taste. However, I like hearing you and my friends talk about it!

RicKaren said...

"The wisdom is in pausing..." I completely agree. In the GO of life, so important to pause.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Such a long while since I've been to visit. Haven't been blogging much of late, but I have been missing my blogging friends and acquaintances.

It was lovely to catch up as I read through some of your past postings.

Wishing you glimpses of heaven in unexpected places...

Brenda

Denise said...

Sweet post.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

with the warmer weather, I've been drinking iced tea; hot tea is too much for me these days. thoroughly enjoyed this post; it was calming and cozy.

Sharon said...

"I would suggest that the wisdom is in pausing."

Pamela, this is one of the most profound things I have read in a long time. YES! We so often get distracted by all the busy-ness in our lives. We have not learned the art of *pausing* - I think an afternoon siesta, or a 4 o'clock tea, should become part of the American culture!

And, yes, it is so often in the quiet moments of solitude that we meet God in the most intimate ways.

GOD BLESS!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Such a beautiful ritual. Our family loves tea, too.

I was hoping to see the picture of you as a kid having tea. :)

Fondly,
Glenda

ps. Pamela, I finally posted wedding pictures.

Aritha V. said...

Thanks. This is a nice, touching blog. Me and my daughter drinks often sterren-mix thee.

Sterrenmix is a kind of herbal tea with star-anise and licorice as basic ingredients. The tea has these ingredients a spicy, sweet taste.

no spring chicken said...

Poignant as usual Pam. I love to read your gentle musings. Always I come away from your blog edified. Thank you for your spirit that mirrors His and your willingness to share here.

Blessings, Debbie

Esther Joy said...

Awhhh, the blessings of tea time! I never thought of it that way!

Annesphamily said...

My love of tea and all things tea is making me smile here! what a wonderful post and I love your gift from Sweet Sue! I want to have some tea parties and I know I try to over think what I want do. Tea ad friendship and phamily ar e all I really need. I am having a milestone birthday this year. I want to have a grand girls only tea party with my daughters and my sister and her girls. I think it will be fun and I want to ask you Pamela, pleas epray for my sister Mary. SHe is going to get a pacemaker on Wednesday. Hopefully she will have all her infection cleared up and they will proceed. She has been so ill. I just want her to get well. Love to you and yours. This post made me smile. Anne