Sunday, September 22, 2013

Social Media for God's Glory

The overarching problem is that everyone sees and uses social media from a different perspective. ~Tweet from Neal Schaffer  

Recently, our pastor challenged us to a Nehemiah Fast -- three weeks of giving up a distraction and praying for an hour for our church.  Our sweet Emily chose to give up Facebook. For a young person, Facebook is a way to connect to friends, yet the three weeks gave her more time to connect with God.

I know there are varied responses not just to Facebook but to other social medias, as well. Some ministers preach against it; other well-meaning folks piously (and proudly) announce their disdain of it. I agree that, as with most medias, there are good and not-so-good uses.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who cringes at the very pointed and purposefully hurtful comments. I've never read one that has increased my confidence in the poster. I've tried to take the same approach to posting as I do to gossip: Is it kind? Is it true? Is it necessary?  

And did you know Facebook has a hide button? When I get too frustrated with the catty posts, I just click that little button for a few months.   

I love using Facebook to keep up with my cousins. Many of them are grandparents, too, and it's fun to watch their grandchildren grow up. One cousin had a lung transplant this year, and reading daily updates reminded me to pray, and to pray more specifically.

But there is another reason I'm in favor of social media. It's my favorite prayer list. We have never had a faster vehicle for immediate prayers. Deaths, illnesses, marriage conflicts and situations rising from divorced situations -- these can all be prayed for immediately. Others, from the tone and words they use, reveal evidence of a heart issue. Spiritual needs can be brought daily before God.

Today I read that my nephew, pastor at Little Eagle Holiness chapel (Native American ministry), is beginning a Monday-Friday radio ministry. I can pray. I read about a friend's sister who needs a physical touch.  I can pray. I read about a chaplain who was called in to be with a family dealing with a loss. I can pray. There were pictures from a Children's Church worker, along with a statement of her desire to see Jesus work through the lives of those little ones entrusted to her care.  I can pray.  A woman who had brain surgery yesterday.  I can pray. 

What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer. 
~Joseph Scriven

Facebook is also  great way to begin a card ministry. All you need is whitepages.com and a card. I've found addresses from people I haven't had contact with for years. I've also asked someone close to them for addresses. If you have money to bless others, tuck in a Starbucks or Panera gift card. Send an Amazon book that addresses an issue they are struggling with. 

Look for the sacred.  Take time to read and absorb the praises of God's people. Today I read several posts of God meeting His people, a post of thankfulness for Jesus, a pastor friend urging his friends to be like Caleb and "claim that mountain," and a song that encouraged me:


You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

Sometimes Facebook can be a stormy sea, yet God can raise me up.  I can use social media for His glory -- to pray, respond to needs and to find the sacred. It's a tool -- and can be a holy tool. Let's claim it for God.

16 comments:

J said...

Your daughter, Emily, is beautiful - both inside and out!
I do agree about Facebook. It can be a very helpful way to communicate instantly. However, like pretty much anything else that's intended for good, people are quick to come around and exploit it. Guess they could use some praying for, too!

Esther Asbury said...

I love facebook for staying "connected" with those I love -- and I love your suggested uses for it! I enjoy the fact that your a positive person - able to find the good in things and use them to minister to others! We need more people with your attitude -- it's uplifting/encouraging/challenging to read your blog!

Elizabethd said...

I know that my grandchildren love Facebook. I dont go on it at all. There seem to have been so many reported cases of bullying here in UK, and I wonder why people find it necessary to be so unkind.
Equally, I do agree, it is a wonderful way to stay in touch with relatives, provided it is used responsibly.

Terry Laudett said...

Those are some great ideas!

Lisa notes... said...

"Look for the sacred."
You are! I'm glad you shared this, Pamela. I'm a big fan of using FB in these ways too. I know social media can be a temptation for bad in many ways, but there are SO many ways we can redeem it for good too, and you pointed out quite a few!

Sharon said...

What a lovely post. I have not yet joined FB, but I agree with you - it's like any form of communication, can be used for good or bad.

But social media can be used to further the good aims of our Lord. I know I have taken an acre in Blog Land and claimed it for His glory!

Let's just continue to ask for the Spirit's discernment, guidance, and wisdom.

GOD BLESS!

Aritha V. said...

I love this. Thanks!

Ceil said...

Hi Pamela! Wow. Giving up Facebook is a very big promise for a young person. Good for her!

I love your stating "Look for the sacred." if we could and would do that, what a beautiful world it would be.

I do know about the 'hide' button on Facebook. I love keeping up with family, but some of the young ones use language I don't really appreciate. It's good to hide it!

Happy Monday!
Ceil

Denise said...

Amen, bless you.

Rosilind Jukic said...

Great post! Social media is amoral - it is only as good or evil as we make it to be. I love this post on how we can use it for good - even for "godly"!

Aritha V. said...

It's so funny. Now Tanya and I are real facebook friends. And we talk about the important things in life. She encouraged me today! God's ways are so wonderful.

Thanks.

Aritha V. said...

It's so funny. Now Tanya and I are real facebook friends. And we talk about the important things in life. She encouraged me today! God's ways are so wonderful.

Thanks.

Courtney said...

Can you hear my clapping? You nailed it. I should be turning everything on social media into a prayer request. Often, what we read is a cry for help - an invitation for prayer even if no one comes right out and says it. Thank you for this wise perspective.

Tanya I. Allison said...

Aritha, thank you! I am trying to figure out this blog world...was trying to figure out how to follow other bloggers, like you and Pamela, and was re-reading a post that Pamela published written by me, "Written Across My Heart" and realized you commented on that blog. :) How neat! I still don't know how to follow people....but I am trying to figure it out. :)

Starry Dawn said...

Hi Pamela,
I am the new follower of your wonderful blog.
One of your friends sent me the link to your amazing site.
I am glad to have found you in Blogland. I love God, for He is the source of my existence. I am a Christian mom and grandmother of my 3 New York grandchildren. I write stories, poems, passages, thoughts, post my artwork, family pics, animal and nature lover, etc.
I hope you may take a look at some of my blogs, and if you wish, you may follow some of them too.
I truly enjoy reading your posts. Facebook is good, if folks use it in a wise manner. Yet, it could be a dangerous tool for evil doers.
My hubby, Physician Surgeon, will soon Retire from His medical practice of a lifetime. Well, that is all for today, Pamela.
I hope to hear from you soon.
I shall return to read more of your lovely posts.
God may always bless you, and those you love, Pamela.
Blessings,
Poet Starry Dawn.

Natasha Hayes said...


How To Stop The Divorce And Save Your Marriage,real spell caster (Dr Brave).


Hello to every one out here, am here to share the unexpected miracle that happened to me three days ago, My name is Jeffrey Dowling ,i live in United Arab Emirates,and I`m happily married to a lovely and caring wife,with two kids A very big problem occurred in my family seven months ago,between me and my wife so terrible that she took the case to court for a divorce she said that she never wanted to stay with me again,and that she did not love me anymore So she packed out of my house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get her back,after much begging,but all to no avail and she confirmed it that she has made her decision,and she never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my wife So i explained every thing to her,so she told me that the only way i can get my wife back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for her too So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow her advice. Then she gave me the email address of the spell caster whom she visited.(bravespellcaster@gmail.com}, So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address she gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my wife back the next day what an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me,and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my wife who did not call me for the past seven {7}months,gave me a call to inform me that she was coming back So Amazing!! So that was how she came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and she apologized for her mistake,and for the pain she caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster . So, i will advice you out there to kindly email this wonderful man {bravespellcaster@gmail.com},i f you are in any condition like this,or you have any problem related to "bringing your ex back. So thanks to Dr Brave for bringing back my wife,and brought great joy to my family once again.{bravespellcaster@gmail.com}, Thanks..