Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Shelter of Repetition


If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all. ~Oscar Wilde

 

Source: Facebook
This week I sent the link to a new knitting book, Green Gable Knits, to one of my friends.   Tracy wrote back, "I just laid down Emily of New Moon. I wish I knew how many times I've read it. It's like meeting an old friend, sitting down and going through all your memories together, laughing and crying like you did when they first happened."

I knew just what she meant--there are some books in which the characters are real. When I lay down the book, I feel like I could walk next door and continue our conversation. When I was a child, I was a playmate of Pippi Longstocking -- her wild red hair, outrageous antics and oh, a monkey for a pet. I loved being a "thing-finder" right beside her.

I grew up a bit and Little Women's Jo was my confidant. I identified
with her tomboyish ways (after all, my mother despaired of ever making a lady out of me), and restless spirit. You could always find her curled in a corner, completely absorbed in a book. As a 12-year-old I totally understood and shared her dreams for the future:

"I want to do something splendid before I go into my castle, something heroic or wonderful that won't be forgotten after I'm dead. I don't know what, but I'm on the watch for it, and mean to astonish you all some day. I think I shall write books, and get rich and famous, that would suit me, so that is my favorite dream." 

Husband and Wife Photo


These days, my reading is more grown up. But that doesn't mean I've left my childhood friends behind. There are still days I want to braid my hair in pigtails and hang with Pippi. I want to do something tomboyish with Jo or spend a bit of time imagining with Anne. 

Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile. ~Anne

This month I've read Jerry Jenkins' I, Saul. He made Paul come alive for me. I wanted to visit Paul in his final jail cell and absorb his passion and gift of writing.  

Husband and Wife Photos
Paul had never penned a simple letter to a friend or a church without loading it with truth so poignant and beautifully written that the whole of the body of believers benefited from it. Better than that, Paul's thoughts and reasoning seemed to be born of his rich relationship with Christ.

The world is full of books.  We all have our favorite book characters. But Jane Austin or Lucy Maud Montgomery will never compare to the characters in God's Word. Esther, a royal queen who risked her life for such a time as this; to save her people -- the Jews.  Ruth lost a dear husband, yet voiced  these words -- words I spoke to my RB on our wedding day:

Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.


Husband and Wife Photos

I'd love, like Mary, to sit at Jesus' feet and just feed my soul. I'm a bit of a Martha, but trying to learn the Mary-way. I'd like to soak in Jesus' urging for specific prayer:

So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Luke 11:9-10


There is shelter in the Word of God -- sheltering love. It encourages, chastises and instructs. And I can read it over and over, never tiring of the repetition. The words between my leather cover or those read for me from the speakers of my computer, refresh and renew me daily.  


How sweet your words taste to me;

they are sweeter than honey.


What about you? What are you reading? What book character would you like to hang with today? 

16 comments:

Denise said...

I love Anne of Green Gables, and Chronicles of Narnia.

Beth said...

A beautiful post. Thank you!

Denise said...

So enjoyed this post and agree with You,the women of the Bible are our mentors.

Sheila said...

I also loved the Green Gables books. As a young girl, our mother would read books to us...Little Women, Black Beauty, Heidi, & lots of Sugar Creek Gang stories! I loved for her to read to my brother & I through that I became an avid reader. Grace Livingston Hill was one of my favorite authors. And when we made a trip to the county library, I would load up on "Sue Barton" nurse books. I'm still a reader & enjoy using my Kindle.

I loved your post!

Granny-Guru said...

My grandson has been begging me to read and re-read, and re-read The Boxcar Children. Perhaps this is why we agreed he would clean off my shelves and organize them, and I would pay him, just like the little boy in the story. Now, my closet of office supplies is clean and organized and grandson got to pick out a new Legos set to buy with his own money!

Valorie Quesenberry said...

This post speaks to me, Pam. I too ma delighted with books; they have chronicled my girlhood years and enriched my life as an adult. The smell of old paper and well-worn spines is intoxicating and the characters are as real as you describe. Thank you for reminding me of the treasure found in biblical characters who inspire me not only for this life but for eternity as well.

Shannon Wallace said...

I love what you write. :) Your words are so deep and meaningful. Right now we are reading Laura Ingalls Wilder (we re-read her books over again each year), and she is the character I'd like to hang out with the most! We are also reading Sod-House Winter by Clara Judson. My son and I are so enjoying this book!

Unknown said...

In the fiction department...Anna Karenina, but I can't say I would like to hang with her "in real life." Some books are delightful because you want to live the life of the characters, but others, like Anna Karenina in some respects, are a good reminder of what happens when we live for ourselves and not for God and others. Still a good book though! I love Tolstoy's dry humor.

Denise said...

What a delightful, memory evoking post! And I LOVE your pictures ~ that's a FINE young man in them and if he is with the young lady, she must be pretty fine too! (I know him...I don't know her). I was just thinking the other day, I want to re-read Christmas Carol Kaufman's books again (for the 100th time ~ more or less ;) ).

Ceil said...

Hi Pam! Your mentioning Pippi Longstocking made me smile. I loved those books!

My favorite book of all time is Gone With the Wind. What an amazing study of the Civil War, with characters that are so memorable. I'd hang out with any of them!

Peace,
Ceil

Ruth said...

Similar theme this week, Pam. I'm so glad God gave the gift of creating words and the curiosity that leads us to read and learn. He is good.

Sharon said...

I love reading - I have read books since I was a very little girl. My all-time favorite books are The Chronicles of Narnia.

I am fascinated by words - how they have the ability to communicate so many things. And most of all, I love the Word of God for the way it ALWAYS speaks to me...

GOD BLESS!

Unknown said...

Reading your posts is like sharing with a friend just like you say about books. I relax as I read your posts and stop skimming as fast. I slow down and linger. I don't read many novels anymore, there are a couple, like Anne of Green Gables that might be nice to read, come to think of it. I try to fit in a little reading each day but I grew up some and my books are more along the Mary's way of sitting at Jesus' feet, though I am much more of a Martha learning to be a Mary too. I loved the way you expressed that though about Mary/Martha. Well, I must run and see what needs to be done around the house (Martha is calling ;-) )

Courtney said...

I know how you feel - I love reading, too! It is something I've always loved, but fell out of the habit during young motherhood. I'm happy to say that my library card is busy now. I'm in a nonfiction season. On my bedside table now is Katrina Kenison . . . off to it!

Esther Joy said...

I'm continuing to read some of R.A.Torrey's "Works of the Holy Spirit". I downloaded about 10 of his books to my Kindle!

I'm also reading "The Singing Life of Birds" by Donald Kroodsma. Very interesting creatures that God has made. I did a little post on this on Joy4Today.

Pamela, I wish you lived close enough to share in the "Getting through hurts, grief, and losses" classes that I am teaching/facilitating. I'd love for you to share your testimony about how God comforts/comforted you through the loss of your daughter.

Blessings!

Deanna said...

Nice post!
I'm not sure who I'd like to hang with. Gonna give that some thought. Anne of Green Gables is a favorite of mine. Like her so much and the story is wonderful.

May your Autumn be refreshing,
d