Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Warmth of God's Love


(God) warms our hearts with His love, and fills them with His mercy, and sends us on our way rejoicing. ~C. H. Spurgeon


In the chill of an Indiana fall evening, Melanie had a bonfire get-together with the families of her small RefresHer group. Knowing some might still be cold in spite of the fire, she provided a stack of blankets. I remember those bonfire evenings when the side facing the fire would be toasty, but the other side so cold. How cozy to be wrapped in a blanket!


There have been times in all our lives when our hearts have grown cold from the hurts of life -- whether the heart-hurts were intended or unintentional. Sometimes in our relationships we wonder, why try? I will never do enough, be enough or give enough. Other times we face times when life chills our heart through financial worries, physical trials or career disappointments.

Often it is in these heart chilling events that God wraps His blanket of love around us and warms our hearts. Paul in Romans 5:5 reminds us, God’s love has been poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. 

The soft blanket of God's love encompassing us immediately begins the thawing process. The frozen tears begin to melt and as they do, the healing process begins. In response our love for God glows more brightly.

With the Puritans of old I pray: 

But my love is frost and cold, ice and snow; Let his love warm me, lighten my burden, be my heaven. May it be more revealed to me in all its influences that my love to Him may be fervent and glowing.



Linked to




19 comments:

NanaDiana said...

What a beautiful post, Pamela. Somehow you dropped from my reader roll. I found you and put you back in today- Have a wonderful night- xo Diana

Stephanie said...

Oh sweet Pamela, thank you for this precious post. I have not been by here in a while and it's good to visit you again. May you have a lovely week.

Lynda said...

I love the name of their group - - RefresHER.

RicKaren said...

So good! I thought as I read of those I am praying for and the love I have for them--a love that feels so real and intense. That love is shallow compared to how God loves! What an encouragement that is!

Ruth said...

I love that thawing process. May I always move quickly to his fireside in the chilliness of life.

Denise said...

Love this Pamela! The one thing that will remain constant and forever true is God’s love for us; His love won’t fade; it won’t fail us. It’s always there, especially when we need it the most! He wraps His loving arms around us and warms our hearts with His shelter and protection! :)

Blessings and bunches of hugs sweet sister!
Denise

Aritha V. said...

Thank you Pamela. How beautiful to read this on Monday. I want to carry it in my heart all the days of this week.

Lieve groet / warmly

Unknown said...

Dear Pamela
Yes, our Lord Jesus' love is so comforting. Even one the coldest days when everything seems dark and without a ray of light, we know we can still nestle close to Him and He will hold us in His loving Embrace.
Blessings XX
Mia

Denise said...

A glorious post.I loved it.Thank You for Your sweet visit with Me.I so enjoyed Your comment.Denise

Sharon said...

Lovely, simply lovely.

I have been wrapping myself up in the blanket of the Lord's love lately. It is warming me, in spite of the circumstances that swirl around me like a cold wind.

GOD BLESS!

Kristin Bridgman said...

I love bonfires and blankets! Running a blanket ministry for the homeless, that is one of my prayers. . .that each blanket, having been prayed over, and handed over with the love of Christ will begin to melt hearts.
Visiting you from SDG link party~

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love blankets and it is sweet to think of Jesus in this comforting providing way.

Fondly,
Glenda

Natalie said...

What a wonderful analogy of Jesus being a blanket of love. It fits perfectly with the Holy Spirit known as the Comforter! Love the name RefresHER for a woman's group!!

PS thanks for visiting and commenting at my blog! Have a blessed week.

Linda Stoll said...

Beautiful, Pamela. His love, that bonfire, this post. Like a soft, enveloping blanket ...

Unknown said...

Pamela: What a lovely picture of the comfort and true love God provides to us. When I'm feeling discouraged, picturing God wrapping that warm comfort around me is a great reminder to run, not walk to Him during those times.

Christy @ A Heartening Life
www.ahearteninglife.com

Unknown said...

I love this. I'm imagining a thick, warm blanket of God wrapped around me this morning.

Esther Asbury said...

Another post I needed! Thank you for your encouragement today! So thankful we have a Loving Heavenly Father to turn to -- always!!

Shannon @ Of The Hearth said...

What a wonderful analogy! It provides such a beautiful picture of what God's love does for us.
Hopefully I'll think of this when I cover up with blankets this fall!

Kelly said...

Such a beautiful reminder! I couldn't agree more. Thanks for sharing and always being an encourager. :)