Saturday, November 9, 2013

God Calls Me His

While at first first glance the Proverbs 31 Woman may appear to be an outdated fixture of the past, her qualities stand the test of time. ~Vicky Courtney

A good wife? The dictionary defines virtue as morally good behavior or character with synonyms that includes goodness, righteousness, integrity, dignity, respectability and worthiness

Big word meanings for a simple girl from Pennsylvania. I read of the Proverbs 31 woman and I despair. I neither bring my food from a far (seriously, three miles to Marsh is pretty close) and I'd have no idea how to inspect a field, buy it and then plant a vineyard. And that's just the beginning!

I have a friend whose husband came home to find her sobbing. Thinking something drastic happened, he heard her say, "I'll never be a virtuous woman."  

Yet if we work our way through the chapter, we come to verse 30 -- Charm can be deceptive and beauty doesn’t last, but a woman who fears and reverences God shall be greatly praised.

Suzie Omartin in her book, The Power of a Praying Woman, says,


The more you get to know the Lord and understand who He is, the more you will reverence Him and fear His displeasure. This is called the fear of the Lord, and it makes you want to obey Him. It's what draws you closer to God and increases your longing for more of Him. It makes you forget all the things that cause you fear, because they pale in comparison to His awesome power. When you have the fear of the Lord, you fear what your life would be like without Him.

That, my sweet girlfriends, makes us virtuous women of God. Longing to know more of God, searching His Word and acknowledging His awesome power. It's a spiritual strength that calls us to obedience in words, thoughts and actions.  

When we fear God, we are quick to allow the Holy Spirit to guide us. We are eager to seek the forgiveness of God when we fail to obey. We joyfully give praise for God's power in our life -- for who He is and who we are in Him.

Strive to get up in the morning, roll up your sleeves and eagerly start to work. Shop around for the best yarns and materials for your knitting. Or use your blog to make extra money. Learn the craft of running a household. But on the days your children and their actions do not make you feel blessed, you are off schedule and your husband doesn't notice how hard you've tried, be encouraged. 

God sees your desire to be the best woman you can be. And He calls you His!


Linked to




14 comments:

Terra said...

We are His, Proverbs is true.

Beth said...

Excellent post!

Elizabethd said...

I think we all feel that we fall short of the perfect woman. Thanks to our God that He accepts us as we are.

Denise said...

I love to read Proverbs 31 over and over to remind me of the perfect virtuous woman. I am reminded that a woman's strength and dignity do not come only from her amazing achievements; they are a result of her devotion and loyalty for God. Her attractiveness comes entirely from her character; she has the inner beauty that only comes from Christ. I am thankful that He encourages me and pushes me to be the best I can be!

Blessings and hugs dear Pamela; I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
Denise

Nana Jul said...

Very encouraging post Pamela! I love the part about-Longing to know more of God, searching His Word and acknowledging His awesome power.
It tickles me when we know it was Him...and we get to give Him all the praise!!
Happy Son-day!
Julie

Courtney said...

So good to know God is the ever-present encourager!

Unknown said...

Dear Pamela
I think it was Paul who told the first believer's to do all our work as if we are doing it for God. He sees and that is what counts. Actually, now that I cannot work anymore due to a chronic illness, I realize how very blessed one is to be able to work even if you are not a believer. To work is such a gift from Pappa's hand. And He promised to bless the work of His children's hands! This is such an important topic especially for woman who battle to believe that being a housewife is important.
Blessings XX
Mia

Jacqueline said...

Oh, YES! I love this attitude of life! We CAN do ALL things with Christ Jesus who strengthens us! Thank you, Pamela!
PS I used the Stormie Omartian quote in a post I just put out on Dreams and Discontentment. Fear can cripple us!
Have a blessed week :)

Anonymous said...

Well said. It is our heart, our obedience to Christ that blesses and refines us.
I'm glad you visited my blog, friend. Have a blessed week.

Sharon said...

God sees me - blessed truth. And He is the One who enables me to be the woman He created me to be. May I always be motivated to please Him, for I do indeed love Him so...

GOD BLESS!

Laurie Collett said...

This is beautiful, Pamela! And very timely for me, as i have been teaching on the Proverbs 31 woman to my ladies' Bible study class these last few weeks. There is much we can learn from her example, and especially fearing the Lord and putting Him ahead of all else in our life.
God bless,
Laurie

Ceil said...

Hi Pamela! Life doesn't always go according to plan, and people can let us down. I like your last paragraph, because life is messy sometimes! But the Proverbs woman has faith above everything, knowing that the Father is here and watching and loving us through it all.

I want to be longing for him and being more obedient. (That quote was great too!) So I shouldn't give up hope. He will come!
Happy Tuesday,
Ceil

Aritha V. said...

Thank you. What a nice blog. After 22 years of marriage, I have a little trouble with myself. Therefore, your blog an eye opener and an encouragement ...

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Your title says it all.

Fondly,
Glenda