Sunday, June 29, 2014

Encourage: The End.


Flatter me and I may not believe you.
Criticize me and I may not like you.
Ignore me and I may not forgive you.
Encourage me and I will not forget you.
William Arthur Ward

Words, written or spoken, can be remembered a lifetime. Almost forty years ago my Science teacher, Mr. Muir, wrote on a paper I wrote about a trip to Mars, "Great imagination." I lost that paper almost 25 years ago, but I still remember those words. It was those words I remembered when I wrote my essay for entrance into my first writing course. Two words, yet they had a part in the course my life traveled. 




This week I received this text after we spent some time together: Thank you for your interest in Kayla's trip. I know that you aren't just being polite, that you really do care. Thanks for being such an awesome friend. Life giving words. 




Our Bible Study today moves from the negative to the positive. (To get it, sign up for the mailing list.) We can be careful of our words, refuse to gossip, refuse to say words in anger, and that's all wonderful. If you have stopped the negative speech, you are obeying God. Move forward with confidence.

But I want to suggest that we go a step further. Let's replace our sinful use of our tongue with some life giving words.Most of you know I am passionate about encouragement. But being passionate has its issues. I must be careful that in my eagerness to be encouraging, I am speaking truth. That my words aren't empty, but deserving. 




I would challenge you to obey the Biblical mandate to Encourage each other and build them up (1 Thessalonians 5:11). What I love about that verse is that it doesn't stop there. Paul goes on to say, just as you are already doing. I love it because so many of you are my encouragers -- those who leave comments, send email messages or fill my Facebook inbox. It's you who make it easy to come back to my writing desk. And for that I say, May the Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord lift his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Linked to: 

13 comments:

JES said...

To be remembered as an encourager would be a wonderful thing! That is the legacy I want to leave... Thank you for the fresh start this week! :)

Farm School Marm said...

Amen! Sometimes it's hard for me to remember that we can *encourage* in many situations. That is, sometimes, when I need to give a word that might be critical (to my children, or even to an erring sister), I can **encourage** them to get right with God, rather than tear them down for where they are right now.

Thank you for the reminder!

Joy said...

Thank you so much sister for encouragement. That is my goal too:)

Lisa notes... said...

I don't know anybody who doesn't appreciate encouragement. It's a gift, Pamela! Thanks for sharing it with the world. God is glorified through you encouraging others.

Wise Hearted said...

Good reminder Pamela to be encourager in truth. It takes no courage to tear someone down or gossip. Good post.

Unknown said...

Sister Pam....I am so glad my brother chose you for his partner, his wife and Mother to his children. You know how much I value encouragement and your words blessed my heart as I just read them after getting back from TJ having taken my friend's daughter there for the fourth and final trip for her root canal and crown to my wonderful Dentist. God is so good and when we "encourage" He just sends showers of blessings and courage right back to our hearts. I love and appreciate you and pray that you are well and know how much I love you. When are you bringing RB to SD so we can PLAY? Call, text or e-mail me soon....and BTW.....you know I have a problem with FB....only get on when RB notifies me to do so!!!!! LOL

Judith said...

This is a very special post. It is a big reason why I blog and often when we encourage others we unwittingly encourage ourselves. That is such an amazing thing!!

elizabeth said...

I'm next to you at SDG today. I totally agree with you. A short encouraging note sent to me from a woman in my church when I was a teenager literally changed the direction of my life!

Sharon said...

Pamela, you are one of the most encouraging people I know. I always appreciate the words that you share on your blog, and the words you leave at my blog. Thank you for sharing your heart, and for always abounding in the work of building up the Body!

GOD BLESS!

Esther Joy said...

Amen, Pamela! I want to be remembered as an encourager!

P.S. One of my very dear friends gave me a china mug with 1 Thess 5:11 on it. I use it as a reminder to pray for her when I drink out of it.

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Great post -our world needs more encouragers!
Thanks for adding me to your prayer journal.
God bless~ Lisa :o)

JES said...

Thank you for linking this one up to the Art of Home-Making Mondays! I loved this post! I believe I was the first commenter on it :)

Lisa Smith said...

I love how encouraging words spread life! Lord, may I choose life with my words, my lips, my heart. Thank you, Lord for the encouragement You speak over me. Amen.