Sunday, June 8, 2014

Speak Up and Shelter: Chapter Two



Our pride can also be self-preoccupation: being overly concerned with what others think of us and strongly desiring that others would think highly of us. Shyness can result from proudly fearing saying something stupid. Thinking extensively of how we look or act in public can come from a deep desire to impress others. Regularly redirecting conversation to ourselves can be prideful self-centeredness. The bottom line is that when we are proud, we think a lot about ourselves. ~Karl Graustein



I don't think there are any sins that do not affect the words we speak. Last week we talked about the sin of jealousy. This week the theme is Pride: Dressed in Pride.  

There are many forms of pride, but one that has followed the church through the years is the pride of spiritual beliefs. Our interpretation of the Bible and the rules of our particular church group has caused us to hurt many of God's children. 

RB wrote a 40 page paper on The Lord's Supper for his class last week. The research showed how each denomination has its own rules: 
Who can serve?
How do you serve?
What bread/juice do you use?
Can children take communion?
Do you need to be baptized to partake?

And that's only the start of our "differences." 

Oh, how our pride comes to the surface when we defend what we believe -- Biblically-based, church tradition or individual conviction. Words fly, cutting and bruising, because "we are right." I'm sure we've all experienced the rightness or wrongness of this pride.




Sometimes I picture a big smile on God's face when He pulls us out of our comfort zone and drops us into the unfamiliar. It puts a big spotlight on the sin of pride in our hearts. Where we have to search Scripture for ourselves when we've always let the church rules guide us. Where our righteous robes are are spinning in the washer of His Word. Where they come out of the dryer smelling like God, yet we stand in fear and trembling, and ask, "Are you sure, God?" 

I hope God will speak to you through this lesson, or in your humility you will pray for those of us who are are hearing God's call out of our prideful past and into His will.

     Sign up here to receive the Bible Study.



Linked to:

10 comments:

JES said...

Thanks for sharing these important words Pamela. Pride is something we always need to keep in check. When upset about something I try to think, is this jealously or pride that is the root to my being upset? Ah, the painful answer! I would love for you to link this up with us again this week!

Lisa notes... said...

My pride is such a thorn in my flesh. And it can take on so many disguises!

The pride of "being right" in our beliefs is such a huge one. :( You've hit the nail on the head with this, Pamela. May the Lord speak humility to us in ways we'll grab hold of. Thanks for this!

Denise said...

Bless you dear.

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Thank you for this post - I really needed it. God bless~ Lisa :O)

Sharon said...

Great thoughts, Pamela. I have pondered much about the issue of pride. About how it comes in many disguises. How any form of self-preoccupation is pride. Even sometimes when I get caught up in worrying - that is also pride in a way. Trying to wrest control of life out of the hands of the Sovereign God.

Food for thought.

GOD BLESS.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Isn't it interesting that pride most often shows up in its opposite forms? Inward focus comes so naturally, too. That's why we need Holy Spirit to continue to transform us through the washing of the Word.
Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

The righteous robes in the washer that come out smelling like God... I love that imagery! Unfortunately, I've often asked that question: "God, are you sure?" The further out of my comfort zone I walk, the more God is faithful to help me see places of pride I didn't even know existed in my life. It's beyond humbling, but necessary if my desire is to live as Jesus lived. Great thoughts here!

Lyli said...

Pamela, thanks for this reminder that God honors humility, not pride.

Lyli said...

Pamela, thanks for this reminder that God honors humility, not pride.

Joy said...

Your words really speaks to me. A part of me who longs to he heard, to be noticed. But thanks God for the reminder that it is him that should be heard through me and it is not my business if many or none listened. My call is to be a channel of his words;)