Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Sacred Place of God's Presence



Let us be still to hear the whispers of God. 
~Ralph Waldo Emerson 


It was gifted to me by a friend. Carried home in the back of a red pickup truck. Moved into place by RB. It's loved by me -- oh, how it's loved by me -- this chair that calls my name. It envelops as much as it supports and is quite large enough to hold me and a passel of books. 

We all need this place that is totally ours. Where we can sit and view life, even to live a bit of our life. Where we can curl up with our journal and collect those words that hang in our soul. Where we can read and inhale the words of others. Where we can cozy down and exhale in a dream of dancing words.



I surround myself with all I hold dear. A tea cup or crystal goblet -- depending on whether I'm in the mood for hot or cold. Sometimes there's a clutter of both. A stack of books -- as eclectic as my reading habits. A throw -- a treasured one embroidered by a sweet friend -- because you can't cozy without one. There's my favorite pen, too -- ballpoint because that's what I use -- from a favorite friend and a handful of others so there's always one at my fingertips when I reach for it.



It's my spot, so you may find some dark chocolate, a candle and a magazine or two. Wild flower bouquets in tiny vases arranged by the man I love. It's all there, along with my prayer journal. The journal holding the names engraved on my heart -- those I live with and those others I love living a short five minutes away, my Pennsylvania and Ohio families and all the nieces and nephews from Chicago to South Dakota to Arizona to California. 



But many of you can be found, nestling among the pages. It's in this spot that I sit, talking boldly to my God through Jesus Christ. Here I pray for broken homes, panic attacks, and speaking engagements. Broken bodies and broken hearts and lost souls that need washed in the blood of the Lamb. 

Some people would say it's just a chair. But to me, it's a sanctuary, a retreat, and yes, even an altar -- a sacred space where I can commune with the God of the universe. For isn't any space in which we talk to God sacred? The spot by our bed, the desk in the office, or the fallen log surrounded by buttercups. It's where we open God's Word and enter into what Henri Nouwen calls, the sacred place of God's real presence.

For me, it's a chair. Where is your sacred place?
 

15 comments:

Sharon said...

You know, Pamela, I don't really have one. But reading your post makes me think that's it really important that I create one. There are so many places to choose from - both inside and outdoors. I'm visiting my mom right now, but when I return home, I'm going to ask God to lead me to the *sacred place* of His choosing.

GOD BLESS!

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

What a beautiful post! Mine would be at my desk in my room - that sits in front of a large window facing our back yard. It is the perfect sanctuary for me! God bless~ Lisa :O)

Joy said...

I have a prayer room where I fellowship with God every morning.
wonderful post sister:)

Christine Malkemes said...

For over 25 years I went to pray in my blue chair. It fell apart and had to be replaced, but never again will I find the comfort of that old chair - the stories it could tell. This came from that place:

Heavenly Father,

It is hard to understand You.
It is difficult to see clearly the wonders of Your way.
Our glimpses of you are fleeting
and yet we hold them tightly to our burning heart.
You are a mystery.

But, The faithfulness of Your character gives great comfort.
The assurance of your peace gives immense relief.
The beauty of your promises give us hope.
You are a mystery in love.

Your invisible hand is like the wind on my sail - powerful , directing, steady and sure.
Like the firm hand of the sailor under the full wind we move to Your touch.
Even in the storm Your hand rests holding us secure.
You are a mystery in touch.

Where ever we go You are there.
Where ever we stand You stand too.
Where ever You go we follow.
You are a mystery in our journey.

Blessed are the people whose God is the Lord!

Thank you, Lord for the mystery in Your hands.
We trust you for the seen and the unseen.
I love You, Lord, my Strength.
Amen, Amen and Amen some more...

Moses asked, "Why?"

You said, "Now you will see what I will do because of My mighty outstretched hand. I am the Lord. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God."*

Unknown said...

hard to find that quiet spot in a house of littles... I like to spend some quiet time listening for God as I soak in the tub - my sanctuary after the kids go to bed :)

Sherri B. said...

Thank you for this beautiful and inspiring post pointing out all of the special places that we can speak to God and that He is really everywhere.

My special spot, right now, is one the couch. I am currently having chemo treatment and it works well for me to have everything on my coffee table..Bible, devotionals, note pads, etc.. It is where I can pour out my heart to God and seek the closeness to Him that I so need right now. He is a good and faithful Father. xo

ajg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RicKaren said...

I think for me, it's just wherever I can snag a few quiet alone moments. Maybe with a sleeping baby in my arms, quiet moments in the kitchen, weeding the garden, taking a walk.

Wanda said...

Pamela, I don't know that I have a specific spot but I do like the idea of special spot to call my own.

Anonymous said...

I've been working on a space for me this year - I call it my "thinking room" - a place where I can make all the noises and quiet I want - and fill it with me and God. I need to be more diligent is using it - in letting it be a part of the daily. I'm still learning how to find the time for the good stuff after working a full-time job! Your post has encouraged me to reach out and live it!

Unknown said...

Mine is a corner of the couch by the window. It's where I spend the first hour of my day in communion with Him.

Miss Kathy said...

Pam - I could have written this post! In fact - I did, to some extent - sometime last year, I think. Though, not with such beautiful images - love what you're doing with your memes of late.

I have my own little corner and my own little chair and stacks of books and journals within arm's reach. Yes - my favorite spot in the house.

Joy!
Kathy

Esther Asbury said...

Your space sounds something like mine! A chair in the corner of my bedroom with books stacked beside it (including my prayer journal and thanksgiving book)-- it's were I sit each morning in quiet time with God. (Mine also includes a cup of coffee instead of tea! :) )

Unknown said...

Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing! :)

Judith said...

My sacred place starts off right in bed lying down (gasp) and then it's the kitchen table with my Bible and books spread out, it is in my mom cave tucked around in a corner of the house downstairs where the laundry machines are and the folding table, it is the ironing board, or wherever I am :-) I loved your post, Pamela. Your graphics are inspiring.