Friday, June 20, 2014

The Art of Living Through Books


To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham


Books. Is there a way to live without them? I was shocked to read in a 2013 poll that 41% of Americans have not read a novel in the past year and 42% have not read a nonfiction book. Since discovering these stats, I've been thinking how to change that percentage. 



How do you share the wonder of the written word? How do you describe what books smell like or how they feel in your hand? How do you explain that little hiccup in your heart when you walk into a bookstore, or the sound of a newly released book calling to you? 



Books have formed me into the person I am.  

I skated with Hans Brinker and rode out west in the wagon with Laura. I strung prisms and played the glad game with Polyanna. I wrote with Jo and cried when Beth died. I tasted elderberry wine with Anne with an "e" and mourned Gentle Ben.



I raised my kids with Dr. Dobson and wrapped silver boxes with Florence Littauer. I experienced God with Blackaby and prayed Jabez's prayer alongside Wilkinson. I forgave my enemies with Carrie ten Boom and climbed to high places with Hannah Hurnard.

More recently, I have declared with Anne Graham Lotz, Just Give Me Jesus. I've counted gifts with Ann Voskamp and prayed with Stormie Omartain. I've wept over Randy Alcorn's dedication in Safely Home and prayed circles around my children. I have spent mornings with Henri Nouwen and learned to uncover the art I was made to live with Emily Freeman.



I learned God would still my rocking boat and so much more. And I wouldn't change the knowledge I gained for all the chocolate truffles in the world.  

In God's Word I spent the night with lions and killed a giant. I made tents with Priscilla and sewed with Dorcas. I wore a crown with Esther and traveled with my mother-in-law, Naomi. I wrestled with an angel and built an ark. I traveled with Abraham and grumbled with the Children of Israel. I asked God questions and sang His praises with the Psalms, and built Ebeneezer altars with Samuel.



I do love my books, but if I had to pick one book -- the Scriptures win. Perfect truth is found there -- grace and instruction. When I discovered your words, I devoured them. They are my joy and my heart’s delight (Jeremiah 15:16).





9 comments:

Beth said...

I grew up in a large poor family. From a very early age I read. To this day it is one of my greatest joys in life.

Gayle said...

I enjoyed your post. I love a good book, but have neglected that pleasure for too long now. Maybe I'll swing by the bookstore on my way home...or the library.

Denise said...

Really good post.

Anonymous said...

This was simply lovely. I have always been a book lover. As a child I averaged a book a day. Books were my safety from life when it became troublesome! I have lots of books and many I'd like to read, but for some reason lately I have neglected to take the time to read. Your post has made me want to shut the world out and escape into that wonderful land of imagination that lives between the covers of books!

JES said...

I loved this post! I was with you on at least half of your journey's it seems! I am also a "bibliophile"...

Cheryl said...

I love to read, too! I don't have as much time for it as I used to, so mostly all I do is soak myself in God's Word when I do have time to read. :) I have read some of the books you mentioned, and it was so nice to revisit those memories through your post. So happy you stopped by my blog today and thankful for you, dear friend. Thank you for sharing an understanding with me. It would be so nice to sit down and chat with you some day. Maybe we can do that at Jesus' feet!! Lots of love and blessings to you. :)

Rebecca said...

Pamela, I share your love of books (and have read many - or most - of the books/authors you mention here....as well as Alexandra Stoddard whom you mentioned in the previous post). Currently, I'm reading a secular novel, Emily, Alone by Steward O'Nan. I read his Wish You Were Here first and this one picks up where it left off. I'm enjoying his style and ability to skillfully communicate ordinary details in such a way that my senses seem to be actually experiencing them personally...

Renee said...

I have read & loved all these books & been inspired by the Bible folks you mentioned! LOVE this post!

I was just thinking that I'd have lots of blogging material if I begin a series on Lessons Learned through Fiction. You've inspired me! I'm always better from visiting your blog. Blessings!

Esther Asbury said...

I love to read as well -- love you descriptions and the adorable pictures of Morgan!