Saturday, July 5, 2014

Open the Eyes of my Heart

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You

To see You high and lifted up
Shinin' in the light of Your glory
Pour out Your power and love
As we sing holy, holy, holy 
(Michael W. Smith)

I thought I knew everything about her -- the woman who chose life even though she would have to dress me in pink when her heart was set on blue. I knew her father had tuberculosis (He lived in a sanatorium during many of Mom's early years). I knew she met my dad in a one-room schoolhouse. I knew she was voted best dressed of her senior class (even though her mother remade old clothes).  I knew her dad got a day's pass to give her away at her wedding. I even knew the miracle drug for tuberculosis gave my Papa back his life soon afterward.



I thought I knew everything about my mother, but I found out this week that I didn't. I knew we had Cosmo, our Bouvier des Flandres -- but I didn't know we had him because Jackie Kennedy (as in First Lady) loved them. 

I knew my mother worked for a family before she was married, and whatever they wanted, she had to do -- even it meant baking a cake at midnight. But what I didn't know was that the husband was a veterinarian and Mom helped him in the clinic in the basement. Once she monitored a dog's blood pressure during surgery when they found out he had cancer; how heartbreaking it was when the elderly couple cried because he had been like a child to them. 



How did I miss these things? I knew much of her story -- she was at a fresh air camp when the sirens blew announcing the end of the war. I knew she was in a play when my dad told his best friend, "That's the girl I'm going to marry." But our visit this week showed me there's still more to learn. 

Just like with my God. I've been learning about Him since I was born. Through my earthly father I learned how loving and kind He is. How He protects and wants the best for me. As I grew older I learned of God's sovereignty; that He is ever-present, all-knowing, and all-powerful.



And when I feel like I know all about God, I learn something new. Each time when I open the Word, I discover new treasures. This week I read in Deuteronomy: 

God, on his part, will keep the covenant of loyal love that he made with your ancestors:

He will love you,
He will bless you,
He will increase you.

He will bless the babies from your womb and the harvest of grain, new wine, and oil from your fields; he’ll bless the calves from your herds and lambs from your flocks in the country he promised your ancestors that he’d give you. You’ll be blessed beyond all other peoples
.



My head held the knowledge, but this week, reading these words, I was struck by how very much God loves me -- not because of me, but because of His loyal love and covenant He made with my ancestors. Pure grace. I didn't even ask for it.

I have a feeling I will be learning about my God until the day I cease breathing. Each day as I listen to Him through creation, in the quiet places, and between the covers of His Word, I'll be learning more about His righteousness, faithfulness, and holiness...and more, more, more.




13 comments:

Terra said...

Yes, we want to know Him more, and those are nice stories you learned about your mom.

Deanna said...

Blessings as we continue to grow in the Lord!
d

Unknown said...

What a lovely post. And how smart of you to learn these things while you still can - a sweet heritage to share and pass on.

Unknown said...

So glad you discovered your mother's story. What a blessing! Stopping by from Laura's place. Have a great week!

Patty Sumner said...

YES! I want to know him more and more.. just when we think his love could not get any better....we find it is.... the more I seek him...the more I love him...Thanks for the encouraging Word today.. What a fabulous Mom! You are truly blessed.. Have a great day! I am stopping by via Jes's link up for MOnday.. Blessings!

Lisa Lewis Koster said...

I think that is the beauty of the Scriptures. Every time we open it up there is something new that God will reveal to us if we have eyes to see and ears to hear.

Anonymous said...

I have cosmo in my garden - and zinnias - I love how beautiful they are. What grace and blessing to vintage like that, to collect the stories. With all these boys, I often wonder who will collect my stories. I so agree - we think we know God and then He reveals more! Beautiful post Pamela!

Gospel Gurl said...

Beautiful post! I want to know him more...loved it! Stopping by from Unite.

GranthamLynn said...

Beautifully written. What a sweet tribute. I love you added the scripture graphics too.
Thanks for sharing. I came by from Jes's linky. I linked too.
I enjoyed visiting you again. I love the linky parties. There are so many blogs to choose from. The linkys definitely narrow it down and help find some great stops!
Thanks for sharing.
Hope the rest of your week is beautiful.

JES said...

So beautiful and so true... The depth of our Creator is something we will constantly be in awe of... there is always more, more, more...

Thank you for sharing such lovely words on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

JES said...

So beautiful and so true... The depth of our Creator is something we will constantly be in awe of... there is always more, more, more...

Thank you for sharing such lovely words on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

Esther Asbury said...

Beautiful posts! I too want to know Him more and more with each passing year!

Lisa Smith said...

What a beautiful picture of growing in sweet knowledge of one we love...even someone we've known our whole live can be known more. God, may we know you more and more. Just a beautiful tribute!