Sunday, August 17, 2014

Be the Steeple




They rest on the tops of our churches and cathedrals, pointing men to God. I love looking over the tops of office buildings and factories to catch a glimpse of the steeples tall and stately rising to the heavens. But do we hear God the loudest when we're closest to heaven? Do we hear God's voice more clearly by being alone with Him?

Cardinal John Henry Newman wrote, "I sought to hear the voice of God and climbed the topmost steeple, but God declared: Go down again -- I dwell among the people." 





I read that and thought, God dwells among the people. Ah, yes. For God was surely in the choir saints as they sang this morning. He was in the pastor, delivering his message. He was in Don's prayer and those serving communion. He was there in the woman seated in front of us who just received a cancer diagnosis.

I can see God dwelling among His church – not just the congregational setting I attend -- He was in the church yesterday where a young couple pledged to love each other as long as they live. He was there when childhood pastors prayed over them, and in those of us who congratulated them. 



God was in the little ones sleeping at my house last night. There when Morgan sang our table grace. There in the giggles, hugs, and tiny bodies wrapped in blankets. God's there in your little ones, too, the ones you are teaching to love and serve God.

Yes, there with us because He lives in our hearts. Yet still...that's dwelling in us. What about the among us? Because this world holds so many who don't know our Heavenly Father, and it is through us that He walks among the unsaved of our world.

Among the teenager who feels like nobody cares and is contemplating ending his life. Among the single mother trying to make a living while caring for her children, too. Among the business owner whose friends and wife have disappeared when his business went belly up. 

Budapest

Yes, God is everywhere, but He sends us out to love, care, and share the plan of salvation. God wants to shine through our attitudes, our actions and our heart. When we pay for the groceries of the one in front of us at the grocery store. When we fix a flat tire for a stranded traveler, or toss a ball with the fatherless boy living next door. When we teach at the public school or cook in the cafeteria at the hospital.

God shines through us when we donate blankets to a homeless shelter or crochet lap robes for the elderly. When we foster parent, become a big brother/sister, or volunteer to plant flowers at a home for unwed mothers. God walks among people; His love is everywhere, but sometimes, He uses us to deliver it. We are laborers together with God (1 Corinthians 3:9). Steeples, pointing others to God.

I can't wait to see where God places me this week.

7 comments:

Dee said...

WOW! What a beautiful, touching and inspiring post. I loved every single word. Your post is a reminder to me that there is always more I can do to encourage people and hopefully bring them closer to God. Thank you and have an awesome day... :)

Lisa notes... said...

He dwells among the people. We are steeples pointing to God.

Such beautiful thoughts, Pamela. They make me excited for whatever the week holds! God is awesome and so are you.

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Pamela,

It's fun to think about how we can flow God's love out to others.

It's nice to be here again,
Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

Sharon said...

Every word touched my heart. Yes, Lord, I want to be a steeple - and I want a light to shine from it into a dark and broken world. But, I can't do it on my own! I need You, the Light of the World...

GOD BLESS!

JES said...

This was lovely Pamela! I also want to let you know that I added your blog to my sidebar a few weeks back, this place shares such tender encouragement. I am refreshed by my visits here...

GranthamLynn said...

Beautifully written. Thanks for this reminder. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Esther Asbury said...

I love how God sometimes shines the brightest in the little things -- I certainly want Him to use my hands and feet to deliver His love to those around me!