Friday, August 15, 2014

5 Ways to Use Daydreaming to Hone Your Craft


You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it. ~Neil Gaiman



Did you daydream when you were a child? Chances are, if you are a writer, you answered with a firm yes.  I can remember whole adventures I would write in my mind. Some included Pippi Longstocking and, of course, that delightful monkey, Mr. Nelson.  
As a writer, I find I cannot go very many days without space to “think my own thoughts.” (That sounds more grown up than daydream.) My writing suffers without that creative outlet. Here are five ways to find time for daydreaming.

1. Go for a walk. There’s something about being outside that fuels creativity. For those who live in the county, nature – the creative work of God – feeds the soul. But if you live in a housing development, take note of the different architecture of each home. If you are walking downtown, look in the store windows, watch the people who are intent about their business, check out the curb appeal. The sights of wherever I am lead me into creative daydreaming.


    2. Stare out the window. Yes, the very thing your childhood teachers kept you from doing is what you are allowed to do as an adult. Slow down that logical part of your brain and pump up the creative part.

    3. Play the “What-if” game. You can play it anywhere you wish. Just pull your thoughts away from what is going on around you and start asking yourself the question. What if book covers were all the same and the books the same size?  What if the bookstores put them on the shelves by size instead of subject? What impact could a children’s book have on a busy executive looking for Ken Blanchard’s One Minute Manager.

    4. Escape into another world to rest your mind. When a deadline is looming, and you feel that tense burning across your shoulders, it’s time to take a daydream break. Take ten minutes to lie down and create a scene in your mind – one unrelated to the project you are working on. You’ll be amazed not only how rested you’ll feel, but how often you’ll gain inspiration for the project at hand.


    5. Daydream on a specific theme or word. Take one word from your project and go with it. If you are writing about buying the perfect pair of shoes, daydream about shoes: purchasing shoes – black tie-up walking shoes (belonging to a librarian who walks to work) – her feet hurt, but her mind is fine and even though she must wear her practical black shoes, she sees life in bright colors – she attaches color to the books she reads. Dick Chaney’s book, Heart, is an obvious red – not scarlet, not brick red or watermelon. But the Centennial Edition of Ronald Reagan was unmellow yellow which wasn’t obvious unless you knew his parents planned to name him Donald. Ducks have orange feet -- would be hard to put shoes on them; it would take a triple wide. Are there triple wide shoes for people? Maybe that’s why everyone has a hard time finding the perfect pair of shoes – the ones they’re buying are squeezing the life out of every step. 

Make sure you aren’t using daydreaming as procrastination, but don’t consider it a waste of time. And if you see a far-away look in my eyes, I’m probably in Italy, sitting at a cafĂ© in the sun, eating a crostate (jam tart), just waiting for…well, I’m not sure what I’ll be waiting for…yet.



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this at CMB. These are great ideas. Sometimes I just have to get up and move to change my focus and jump-start my day-dreaming. Enjoy a blessing-filled weekend.

Sharon said...

I really enjoyed this post. For it captured something of the heart of a writer, and gave practical tips about how to expand the imagination - which I believe is the wellspring for the words that so fascinate us.

God can speak when we allow our minds to daydream. For sometimes He speaks to those deeper layers that lie underneath our thinking brains!

GOD BLESS!

Marja Verschoor-Meijers said...

Inspiring post :) I do dare to daydream every now and then.... to come up with ideas, to free my mind from too many thoughts :)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Pamela ... I sure have enjoyed catching up on your blog posts this morning. Wise words always, and I really like what you have done with your pictures and sayings.

I am done with my job and am returning to blogging. We are going to Mississipi on a trip in the 5th wheel as soon as we get organized and are going to try and be "retired". Yay!

So, I am making the rounds and checking in with all of my blog friends; seeing what you have been up to.

Hugs,

Kathy M.

Unknown said...

Again you have drawn such beautiful word pictures and sketched a colorful masterpiece of ideas. You have opened my eyes wider to the world of creative thought and writing. Thanks again and God bless

Unknown said...

These are great ideas! I like the idea of taking time to daydream. I tend to do dishes when I'm suffering from writer's block. I open the blinds that are above the window, stare outside and get lost in a sink full of bubbles. You're right, that small break tends to refresh me and give me the energy I need.

Thanks for linking up last week at Fulfilled Fridays on Living in Green Grass. Hope to see you again tomorrow!

Esther Asbury said...

LOVE your ideas!!! I have a board on my Pinterest called "Pictures to get lost in" -- ever so often I go there and "get lost."

Melanie B. said...

I love this post. Now, I'm off to daydream ... :)

Iris said...

Fun ideas to day dream about! :) Good for the time where you all you can do is sit and wait.

Marissa Writes said...

I love walking to gain perspective, and it's because I wonder about the things I see while outside. It's great fun.

Marissa

Reading List

Marie said...

Sometimes when I'm just looking into nothingness, I'm doing just that. I'm not thinking, I'm not dreaming, I'm just gazing. nothing more and that is very nice

Dr. Entwistle said...

Thanks for sharing! Very insightful post, and I love your background. :)

Godly Homemaker (Andrea) said...

i don't think i've ever done any kind of daydreaming...

Anonymous said...

Very helpful hints. Living in the country with my closest neighbors being miles away, I love to get out and listen to God's creation as an inspiration for most things--writing included. It's the "What if" that gets me into trouble :-) .
Blessings,

Caroline @ In Due Time said...

Go for a walk!! YES!

Unknown said...

What a fun article to read! Yes, it is true! I even find myself thinking of great ideas when I'm in the middle of a conversation! I'll run over to my notepad and jot them down :) my hubby just smiles, he knows I just got a great idea!!

Unknown said...

Yes! I daydreamed as a child and still do. I'd write alternate realities in my mind (and still do). It's a writer's life and I love it. Thank you for the great tips and validation!

Roxanne Foster said...

GREAT ideas! I need to find a notebook to jot everything down in.