Sunday, March 1, 2015

My Goodly Heritage




It was on the news last night. Breaking news without many facts. Breaking news that made my heart drop like a cake baking in the oven when someone jumps in the kitchen. I caught the scattered words -- rescuing them from a burning fire – baby, fire, died. I tried to let go as they scorched my heart. The twenty-seven years sifted away like ashes, and once again I was transported back to another baby, another fire, another death.


In present tense, I look to the chair beside me to see if my husband heard, but he’s sleeping gently, tired from the weekend’s illness and day’s meetings. Later, lying in bed, his body curved into mine like the commas he adds to everything I write, I try to say the words, but they hide in the darkness, crouched in the shadows hard and unyielding. I fall asleep with images of that day in 1987 dancing around in my memory, poking my heart with hot coals.

It is morning, with the light beginning to filter through the draperies, that I share the words. Not in loud, clanging words, but in whispered grief, barely pushing them out, yet needing the comfort that can only come from a sharing of sorrow.

Later, when the bed was made, the suitcase half filled with overnight necessities, and my tea iced beside me, this man I love shared the morning news with more words -- five-month-old, smoke-inhalation, fire fighters. I spoke words that only the man who loves me deeply, who has held me in grief, who has counted every birthday from 1-28, could interpret. I-don’t-want-to-hear-it words. Words not whipping through the air like childhood kites in the wind, but words just loud enough to cross the room and land like daggers in my heart.


Later, it was my oh-so-handsome daddy grieving the loss of his two-months-shy-of-sixty-years wife who helped me stop the tapes in my head. “I can think about it for a while, then I just have to stop,” he told me. My daddy, my hero, once again my teacher. Me, with 57 years of living and learning, realizing again just how much I still lean on  his 79 years of life education. I remember the movie films of my chubby, red-cheeked self, apron  tied around my three-year-middle, dimpled hands patting my taffy, while Daddy showed me how to pull and pull until it was just right. I remember standing on the street corner of downtown Indiana, Pennsylvania, Daddy with his white bag filled with licorice babies or chocolate covered peanuts saying, “Come on, Pammy, if you stick your nose out, they’ll stop for you.” And they did, as I skipped across the street to keep up with my father’s long strides. We’d wait for my follow-the-rules, always-a-lady mother until the buzzer sounded and the walk sign blinked. He taught me to give without a “now what can you do for me?” attitude, to honor parents and respect elders.


When the sting of the daggers subsided, I stood by the sink and thought about my daddy. I found myself taking the remaining ashes of sadness and offering them to God as an offering of thanksgiving that in those ten-years-ago days, interrupted with yellow-tinged and liver-cancer verdicts and 5% chances of life, that my daddy is still here. I followed his example and “stopped thinking about it.” I focused on thanking my Heavenly Father for my earthly daddy. I have a good heritage. And I’m thankful.








15 comments:

Janet said...

Gratitude the midst of grief. Something I've been thinking about. Not sure it's easy to find -or to focus on. Thank you for sharing such a personal and heart-wrenching example of choosing to turn toward gratitude.

Shannon Wallace said...

The grief portion of this post, and the seeing a tragedy on the news that nearly mirrors your own tragedy...I can totally sympathize. The words child and drowning take my breath away. Every time. You are so blessed to have such a loving, earthly father! Hugs, Pam!

Unknown said...

Even with grief you are such a beautiful writer. This brought tears to my eyes. Your daddy, my uncle, such a loving, Godly man. I'm glad to know you both.

Rebecca said...

I, too, have a "goodly heritage". Watching my 88 year old father live out his life-long faith as he cares for my mother has been an incredible stabilizer for me. Yes, we ARE blessed.

May the HEAVENLY Father continue to meet you in your periods of grief and accomplish through them His current and perfect purposes. ♥

Caroline said...

Lovely. How blest are those w/godly heritages! Appreciate the post.

OurCrazyFarm said...

I have a feeling that grieving our children never goes away, not until Jesus comes and wipes away every tear, anyway. Then we will be able to see the details of the Masters's plan, the enemy death will be done away with, and we will be amazed by what God was doing. You are in my prayers today, Pam. Keep holding on to the words of truth. Sending love through the blogworld.

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

As I read your post today-my heart hurt for you and tears came to my eyes, although I can not understand the pain you feel because I have not experienced those loses- it reminds me of the pain that raises it's ugly head when I hear the word "cancer" because it reminds me of the losses I suffered and am working on recovering now. Hugs to you and praying that God will comfort your heart and your families heart, God bless, Lisa :O)

Sharon said...

A most beautiful post, Pamela - one that brought tears to my heart. Just yesterday would have been my dad's birthday. Of course, I know he celebrated with Jesus, but I miss him greatly. However, his life lessons linger on.

Bless your daddy, for teaching you grace. Grace to remember, and sometimes grace to let go.

May the Lord comfort both of you in the losses of the past, and strengthen you with the hope of His glorious future.

GOD BLESS!

Lisa notes... said...

Life is such a mixed bag sometimes. We can feel both joys and sorrows back and forth. I hear both in your words, I see both in my own experiences. I'm glad that in the end, joy wins.

messy said...

So much pain but in that pain the beauty and hope and goodness floats. Thank you for sharing your father with us.

Esther Joy said...

Oh Pamela... My -♥ - and prayers with you...

Mindy said...

Oh goodness. I'm sorry you were freshly reminded, but I'm SO glad you found His reasons to be thankful. Thank you for your wonderful example.

Unknown said...

Oh, sweet Pamela. My heart just wept as I read your post, wanting to comfort your heart with anything that I could. But here you are, in comfort already, with Jesus and the heritage He has paved for you. Holding you in my heart...

Kim M. said...

Hugs to you, Pam!

Cheryl said...

I am SO sorry for whatever loss you sustained. Bless your dear heart. So thankful you still have your Daddy with you to comfort you and bless your life. I miss my Mama and Daddy SO much. They are both gone, and the hole of grief never quite closes. May the Lord bless you and comfort you in our times of sadness.