Thursday, June 4, 2015

Fashion Blunder Surprise


Friendship with Jesus, fellowship divine. Oh, what blessed sweet communion! Jesus is a friend of mine. ~Joseph C. Ludgate

I had lunch with a friend today. One of those friends I can connect with in an instant. Between her schedule and my schedule it's been a long time coming. We laughed, we talked, we connected. It was just what I needed.



Eleanor is a fashion guru and she looked stunning as always. I thought I was pulled together okay.  I matched, navy in my top matching navy in my skirt.  Shoes went with the outfit. That's about as much as guru-ish as it gets with me. 

And then, after lunch I got out of the car at Michael's and looked down to discover my "pulled-together-okay" was suddenly not-so-okay. My skirt was as black as midnight. Which is what happens when you have the same skirt in two colors and you get dressed in a darkish bedroom. 

The best part of it? Eleanor didn't even notice! She just enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed hers. She wasn't intent on picking apart all the negative things about me. We could just "be."



I think God must desire that from His friends, too. To just "be." To spend time without the questions, requests, and yes, even whining. He wants us to laugh, talk, and connect. To be unconcerned about petty things, but just enjoy being with Him.

Tweet: God desires time with us. To just Tweet: God desires time with us. To just "be." Time without questions, requests, & yes, whining--to laugh, talk, connect... http://bit.ly/1eShzxC

Eleanor and I grieved with each other when our mothers died, have shared disappointments, and carried each other's heartaches. God has cared for me like a father and encouraged me through life's hard times. But sometimes, like today with Eleanor, we need to just enjoy the friendship.






Missional Women


3 comments:

Rebecca said...

So true at many levels! Friendship trumps fashion EVERY time :)

Ana Sullivan from The Lost Apron said...

I think friendships like you described is God's way of just giving us a hint of His love. (I can't tell the difference between black and navy unless it is in full sun.)

Mindy said...

Those friends are such a blessing!