Monday, November 15, 2010

Joyful Hospitality



What is there more kindly than the feeling between host and guest? ~Aeschylus



Is hospitality a dying art? Sometimes I think so--and blame myself. But then I am invited to dinner and am reminded that hospitality is alive and well in the homes of my friends. Whether I am enjoying Lorna's expansive cooking with recipes Jeren brought back from Greece or her famous two crust lemon pie, laughing around the Clemens' Amish-made table while Sheryl serves my favorite fruit salad and hot homemade rolls, or discussing church dynamics with the Scott and Carmelita over best-ever chili and peanut butter and syrup crackers (which I had never heard up before, but quickly found out how good it is with chili), I find women who entertain joyfully.



Last week we were invited to Sunday dinner with Mark and Eleanor. Their home is Emily's home-away-from-home. If she's not at home or Melanie's home then you can find her at the Grafs. Eleanor has a decorating gift--her home is peaceful and inviting. And though I love the elegance of their home, it's not what makes her hospitality special. I've tried to dissect it and the closest I can come to is the the peace you feel. Eleanor isn't running around trying to get food on the table. Her preparation is organized. Yes, her china is beautiful, the crystal bowls glisten and the sparkling grape juice is chilled. But the secret is that you feel they are delighted to entertain you.



Their hospitality is a family affair. Mark grills the salmon. I have eaten salmon in some high-end restaurants--and take it from me, Mark's is the best! Kayla helps Eleanor with last minute preparation. The food is delicious. Conversation is never boring--discussions topics range from Biblical practices to the morning sermon (complimentary!) to politics.

We lingered over our cheesecake topped with blueberries and chatted over clean up. While not all of us have a gift of hospitality, it is a command from God. Not only does Scripture tell us to offer hospitality, but to do it without grumbling. Nor does it tell us to only entertain with crystal and china. I had a friend tell me once, "Everyone is so worried that their home isn't as nice as ours. I'd be happy to sit on the floor and eat popcorn if someone would invite us over."

I know I need a nudge to offer some hospitality. Maybe some of you do, too. Let's get out our ice cold water--or popcorn and ice cream--and offer it in Jesus' name. Then will our guests be blessed and encouraged. And like Abraham, we may be serving angels without being aware of it.

~~~~~~~~~

Hospitality Gifting



It's fun to take a small gift to your hosts. Candles, candy, an appropriate book, flowers--the gift doesn't need to be costly. One day Lorna brought me a big, beautiful pumpkin. Janelle came with a bunch of lavender tied in ribbon with a tiny note. Here's the gift I took yesterday. The tiny place setting candles came from the Dollar Store--3 in a pack for a dollar--12 candles placed in a little basket, wrapped and tied with ribbon. What made it personal is that RB printed the G on each one (good old sharpie). The total cost of the gift was $5.00 plus wrapping and ribbon (I already had that on hand, and of course it didn't hurt to have the calligrapher available!).

Melanie gave me the idea of printing letters to form words--like GIVING THANKS. Lined up on a window sill they would look so neat. I'm hoping our Dollar Store still has a supply.

What have you used for hostess gifts? I'd love to have some new ideas. You'll see more posts on hospitality because it's a great way to shelter others.

6 comments:

Charlotte Meador said...

Love this, of course. :) I am enjoying your blog 'all the way.' My mother taught us when very young to entertain. We had the pastor over for supper monthly--there was a huge housecleaning and a day of fixing good food. It was a highlight in her day when she had an opportunity to entertain.

Rebecca said...

I'm absolutely drooling over the thought of Mark's grilled salmon! It is my favorite entree (and I have never fixed it at home).

Pamela, I believe that the economy will be a factor in helping us return to simple hospitality. As more of us set the example and show that it doesn't have to be stressful and extravagant, the practice will spread.

Your hostess gift was a charming one!

glor said...

What a beautiful blog you have. Looking forward to reading all the posts. Will be back.

Esther Asbury said...

So enjoying your blog.....
I love to entertain people, and love new ideas for doing so. BUT I have also learned (like you) that it's not in the fancy place settings or having everything "perfect," but rather in the warmth and kindness you offer.
I had an evangelist tell me it was all in the "presentation" --i.e. attitude of the giver. He told would be happy to eat bologna sandwiches if they were offered from a generous heart in kindness. On the other hand he'd rather not have a fancy meal if made to feel like he was a bother or obligation. I've tried to take his advice to heart and offer what I have on hand with a sweet spirit, and would you believe it...the meal I've received the most thanks/praise for was a hodge podge of things thrown together a the last minute for unexpected company!
As to hostess gifts -- I've taken candles, handmade cards, tea towels to match a kitchen theme, a pretty plate of someones favorite cookies (not for the meal, but to be enjoyed later by the family), and small seasonal decorations to go along with a person's collection etc.

Kelly said...

Nice to "meet" you! This is such a lovely post, and so true! We all need to be mindful of extending the hospitality Jesus would have us extend. I can tell you have such a sweet spirit...I am your newest follower. :)

Kelly

Laura said...

Oh I think these are lovely! What a wonderful gift to bring to a hostess. Thanks for linking up your thrifty living post, it's great!