Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sugar and Spice



Sugar and spice and all things nice; that's what little girls are made of.




In a previous post by my mother, she asked you wonderful followers who and what you would like to read at A Sheltering Tree. (Isn't she precious?) So, like the dutiful, obedient daughter you all just know I am (!) I am bringing you some decor ideas...fun, easy and some extremely cheap, and well, free!

I used to love to paint. Notice used to. The more kids I have seems to have faded this into I love the paint - not the to paint. Our mobile home walls had so many different colors gracing them and kept changing as I decided to change decor, etc. Lots of fun! My husband couldn't find the same high level of delight in it as I, but was patient and usually happy with the finished product. I still have the quote my Grandmother once sent me that ended with "...it's only paint."


Morgan's room is what I am featuring today. Her old room was embellished with various sizes of painted circles along one wall,  two painted cardboard circles with her initials on them hanging from coordinating ribbon on another wall and a big area rug that Mawmaw purchased to complete the room.
Morgan's room now is full of spray-painted items. So cheap. So easy (especially if you buy the cans with the super easy sprayer. Finger isn't nearly as sore the next day...smiles...)

Morgan's room has a scattering of new, old and sentimental pieces. (I was actually going with the look of old and new and the pieces I had to use or that were given to me worked great.)

I'm not an expert on decorating. Occasionally, I will worry about what the decor looks like in my home. My mom reassures me with, "As long as it makes you happy." So true.
Enjoy the ride. Get excited in your findings for your home. Examine your finished look with your own eyes or maybe ask a friend to help. If you're happy with your home, then everyone around you is happy (..."If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy...!")

Warning: Beware of PINK, PINK, PINK everywhere.

Just click on the pictures to view bigger if you have trouble reading the print.












Just some tips:
1. Paint is inexpensive. Try stripes, bold, bright colors or maybe a soft shade
for a backdrop so your decor can, as they say, 'pop'.



2. Spray paint is faster and cheaper for smaller pieces. Don't spray too heavily with one coat.
Do a few lighter coats and be patient - let it dry. (I am extremely bad at waiting!)



3. Wait for 'the perfect thing'. You can save money by catching deals and using your creative mind and then you might be able to spend extra on something you really would like to enjoy in your home.



* * * * *

Fancy-Smancy Bow Holder

This is the bow and feather holder in Morgan's closet.



Making a board to hold Morgan's bows was quick and easy. 
Cover  canvas with fabric of your choice. 
Attach rickrack in a tic-tac-toe pattern.
Clip and Go!

Feature Yourself Friday

Thirsty Thursday

Frugaliciou$ Friday

Single Sweet Home

Feathered Nest Friday

16 comments:

Chase said...

GREAT ideas and decorating! LOVE it! Thanks for following me! Following you back! :)

Liz said...

I really love old mixed with new - I'm glad to find someone else who does too! Loved the mini tour :>)

Anonymous said...

Like, like, LIKE!

Emma's Lunch said...

Wow, I love how you blog together. Its so refreshing! You seem like a really close family :) Thanks for stopping by Emma's Lunch. I'm glad to be following your blog back.

Anonymous said...

thx for stopping by my blog and for the follow...I'm following back^^

xoxo

{SeMi}CrAzEd

Elizabethd said...

If I was a young girl again I would love that room. You have put so much love and care into it.

Esther Asbury said...

Great post Melanie! Love how you changed the look of things with a little paint...especially like the little picture frame with the x's and o's and the mirror turned chalkboard!
(BTW--Thanks - I was one of those who ask for a post by you on this subject!)

Sarah said...

What a pretty room!

Thank you for stopping by my blog, it's always nice to run into fellow Hoosiers in the blog world!

Sarah

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

That looks really great!

Nicole@thiscreativeadventure said...

That is a really sweet room for your little girl. I love the light fixture! Thanks for your kind comments on my dresser makeover.

Emily said...

Such a darling room! i love the light fixture...so cute!
-emily
www.nestnestingnested.blogspot.com
p.s. thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment.

Katherine said...

Such cute ideas and thrifty ones too! Thanks for your comment and following my blog. I am now following you back! Great posts (I've been scrolling through a few)!

Anonymous said...

You all have the cutest blog with different posters. Love her room too! I am just getting back into painting a lot. Love the new spray paint triggers things. Thank you so much for visiting and becoming a follower. Always love to see new folks. Have a super great weekend. :)

Johnnie said...

Oh my gosh, so cute!! I am obsessed with spray painting everything. What a beautiful room. Great post.

Saved By Love Creations

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Such great ideas~ and a lovely room!! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

You are so right, paint is a great an inexpensive way to completely transform a room...love Morgan's pink room...very soft and pretty :)
Love your blog too, thanks for being one of my newest followers...I will be following you too, and looking forward to seeing more posts...
Hope you have a great week...
Big hugs,
Queenie